Safety In The South

oldsailor35

Just curious....

Why chooses PartTaNee.... to move around in, pls?

We also have several relatives living in PartTaNee, YaLar and NaRaTeWart without any incident to date, knock on wood....

Perhaps, you would like to be there for some very unusually exciting reasons....? :unsure:

No, it's ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE at the moment for foreigners in either of the three provinces. Stay away, seriously.

We're in Hat Yai but have some relatives in Pattani and things really seem to get worse and worse...

Absolute cobblers ! Maybe you could point me to a link to the last Farang death or incident involving a Farang in any of the 3 Southern provinces ?

I spent a month riding around the 3 provinces. Never once felt threatened or worried and everybody made me welcome. It is also one of the most beautiful parts of the country with some stunning scenery and beaches.

Iraq / Afghanistan it isn't ! :sorry:

H2oDunc, glad that you had no problems during your travels.

But since most foreign embassies strongly advise against travel in these 3 provinces, it is also very likely that if you should encounter a problem, even a motorbike accident, your medical insurancer would refuse to pay for your hospital fees since you have ignored official travel advice from your embassy.

Unfortunately, the paperwork and rules is often not in line with reality on the ground, but there you have it...

Simon

No, it's ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE at the moment for foreigners in either of the three provinces. Stay away, seriously.

We're in Hat Yai but have some relatives in Pattani and things really seem to get worse and worse...

Absolute cobblers ! Maybe you could point me to a link to the last Farang death or incident involving a Farang in any of the 3 Southern provinces ?

I spent a month riding around the 3 provinces. Never once felt threatened or worried and everybody made me welcome. It is also one of the most beautiful parts of the country with some stunning scenery and beaches.

You're logic completely passes me here.... just because there hasn't been any foreigner killed in the three provinces makes it safe? Did it perhaps occur to you that this might be the case because all foreigners have long left these provinces?

Nice to here you have done some nice traveling around Yala, Patani and Narathiwat. If you felt save good for you.... However, after experiencing random bombings here in Hatyai and hearing plenty of stories (in official news channels as well) of COMPLETELY RANDOM shootings, bombings and beheadings, I would advice any foreigner not to travel there.

Your story really sounds like you haven't got a clue of what has been happening down here and how it has been getting much worse recently.... You do realize over 4.400 people have been killed over the past four years? And many of these were randomly choosen, among them elderly, woman and CHILDREN? You'd think these people would pass up a change of adding a foreigner to their list? Still, you'd say it's safe for a foreigner to wonder around these provinces? Unbelievable....

To the OP, please don't take ANY ADVICE here (same applies to mine), just do your own research and, if possible, ask Thais who live down here if they think it's safe for you to travel there

Matt

Edited by mjnaus

You're logic completely passes me here.... just because there hasn't been any foreigner killed in the three provinces makes it safe? Did it perhaps occur to you that this might be the case because all foreigners have long left these provinces?

Nice to here you have done some nice traveling around Yala, Patani and Narathiwat. If you felt save good for you.... However, after experiencing random bombings here in Hatyai and hearing plenty of stories (in official news channels as well) of COMPLETELY RANDOM shootings, bombings and beheadings, I would advice any foreigner not to travel there.

Your story really sounds like you haven't got a clue of what has been happening down here and how it has been getting much worse recently.... You do realize over 4.400 people have been killed over the past four years? And many of these were randomly choosen, among them elderly, woman and CHILDREN? You'd think these people would pass up a change of adding a foreigner to their list? Still, you'd say it's safe for a foreigner to wonder around these provinces? Unbelievable....

To the OP, please don't take ANY ADVICE here (same applies to mine), just do your own research and, if possible, ask Thais who live down here if they think it's safe for you to travel there

Matt

I've advised some friends that Hat Yai and Songkhla should be ok for a few days, is this the case?

I have several relatives living in HaadYai since 1942 around NiPhatOuThit 1 Road, a few minutes walk from the Railway Station until today....

Barring some extreme unforeseen circumstances, your friends ought to be alright....

I was there in HaadYai myself for a funeral just barely 24 hours ago.... May the Almighty God bless his soul and his family....:jap:

No, his death has nothing to do with any violence movement.... he dies a natural peaceful death....

Edited by mkawish

4,000 deaths, 4 years

A white foreigner, beheaded and xxxxxx would make the front pages of many International papers.

Ur taking a chance and the question is "Is it worth it"?

I was there, 10 years ago, and the people and scenery are well worth it, but now -- umm, I dont think I would go

Also ur insurance and helath/travel policies maybe be void if u enter the three provinces cos of the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hatyai and pretty much all other places in Songkhla (few exceptions like Sabay Yoy district with occasional violence) are as safe as any other place in Thailand; the last bombings in the city were over four years ago and it has been quiet since.

DO NOT TRAVEL INTO YALA, NARATHIWAT AND/OR PATTAN !!!!

As someone who lived in the south I dont think the so called insergents have a problem with the white man. If they wanted to make a problem then there are lots of places in Had Yai and songkhla. I wouldnt feel comfortable travelling by myself in Pattany yala or Nalatiwat. I've been to Pattani and the vibe was quite tense. Play it safe and stay away.

Wether or not these bandits have an outspoken problem with westerners does not matter; there are many different parties involved and they all have their own ideas about how to create as much chaos and fear as possible. It's been clear that many of the recent violence is handed out randomly, and surely there will be wackos out there who wouldn't pass up on killing a westerner if they had the chance...

In fact, the insurgents did target the tourist areas in Hat Yai several years ago and amongst the people killed were some western tourists . They also targeted the airport a few years before that, but as far as I can remember, no tourists got killed in that incident.

Reason why Hat Yai has not been targeted in the recent years may very well be due to the higher security and numerous check points going down from Hat Yai.

Edited by mjnaus

• 2 weeks later...

heya oldsailor. I've been to all 3 provinces on foot and had no problems with anyone. It's a civil dispute and the locals there don't bother involving innocent expats in their daily outgoing mail of crap. However, if you wanna live there it's not worth the risk as there is nothing possibly available for work there except those who teach EFL or want to drown in their sorrows. Peace.

For your information, i have no intention of living in Pattani, nor staying there for any length of time. My wife has 2 children living there with their fathers family. She has to visit from time to time. We drive down from Samui. She says that it will be too dangerous for me to go there and wants me to wait for her at her sisters home in Hat Yai. Sister and husband are accountants and have their business there. Thats it. !

So i think it would be stupid not to stay at Hat Yai for a couple of days whilst she tries to sort the problem of the children out. They are being brought up as muslims and she is Buddhist so its 'problems' with a capital P. The kids want to return to Suratthani to grandparents palm oil farm. Wife has business on Samui. Thats why i am asking for advice, so very many thanks to you all.

p.s. Boy 10 wants to stay muslim.

Girl 9 wants to be Buddhist.

Problems for sure !

Edited by oldsailor35

for real oldsailor. Simple as it sounds and simple as it goes, for me if those were my kids I'd take them IMMEDIATELY OUT of the dangerzones right from the very beginning and not abandon them due to business as theres never a saying that goes as such "never any time for your kids"...ur wifes gotta sort her shit out mate asap. Peace

• 5 weeks later...

For your information, i have no intention of living in Pattani, nor staying there for any length of time. My wife has 2 children living there with their fathers family. She has to visit from time to time. We drive down from Samui. She says that it will be too dangerous for me to go there and wants me to wait for her at her sisters home in Hat Yai. Sister and husband are accountants and have their business there. Thats it. !

So i think it would be stupid not to stay at Hat Yai for a couple of days whilst she tries to sort the problem of the children out. They are being brought up as muslims and she is Buddhist so its 'problems' with a capital P. The kids want to return to Suratthani to grandparents palm oil farm. Wife has business on Samui. Thats why i am asking for advice, so very many thanks to you all.

p.s. Boy 10 wants to stay muslim.

Girl 9 wants to be Buddhist.

Problems for sure !

I have traveled there on many occasions and have found that there is not much problem moving in and out of town.

But I have only traveled during daylight hours, and, inside major cities.

I wont advise a White farang to be visiting the country side in the far south. If any of your family members have homes there.

As an Asian farang myself, I tend to blend in pretty well.

It's a tough thing about religion, but if the girl wants to be a Buddhist, its best to relocate her further north where there is a bigger Buddhist community.

Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Songklha City and Hat Yai City. Better chance of winning the lottery twice than getting hurt in Songklha City or Hat Yai. It is further South where the problems and smiles evaporate. I rode my motorbike to all the danger spots in October. Was the only farang sitting in Big C Pattani. Did not see one smile in these parts. Very intense. You would think you were invisible. The problem is you can get caught in the cross fire as some do. Checking in to Sun ngai golok hotel I was very happy they only charged me 600 Baht instead of the stated 1200 baht, Hotel Marina. Two soldiers with machine guns standing on every corner. Big C Pattani and Sun ngai de rigeur motrocyce seats up. They made me an exception. Road side bombs bye bye birdy. And all mobile coverage is cut so if you get into trouble you will not be able to make any calls. Only registered local phones can use be used I found out by asking around. Approach the army guards very slowly. Put it this way you will be very happy you are alive once you get back to Songklha. Every second could be your final. Had a guy in a pick up truck eyeing me up at a gas station. Understood that was the time for full throttle. Unsafe, well that is a fine example of understatement. Mother and daughter I met in Songklha left Pattani after nearly getting shot in cross fire. Policeman was not so lucky.

Edited by heiwa

• 3 weeks later...

People in the area continue to live their normal lives. The towns are generally safe. Smaller villages - depends on which one.

In town you still see white faces. In some way more than previously since there are a number of international organizations either working on projects there or funding local groups on development activities.

However, given the nature of your wifes visit and the complications of the family aspect, I would say stay back in Hatyai is a better option. Should you need to go to help her with any difficult negotiation (if she thinks it's needed later) or for some moral support should things get difficult with the ex and the kids, the place is just over an hour drive from Hatyai - good 4 lanes road.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Chok dee ! First post and really glad to be here. My wife is Thai and is from Yala and we have been married 7 years and travelling to Thailand regularly but have always avoided the South for the reasons discussed above. Just back from a holiday in which we spent quite some time in Hat Yai and Songkhla with a day trip to Yala to visit the ancestral home. Was worried before we went and her family didn't want us to stay the night but went out to visit them drive round the town , tamboon at the local temple. Went through quite a few roadblocks on the road and there were armored cars driving around and an armed soldier outside my wife's brother's hairdresser where he cut my hair. Want to go back but will listen to their advice and not travel at night. Am posting quite a few videos of the trip on one of my You Tube channels beautifulthailand99 http://www.youtube.c...tifulthailand99" You Tube Channel

Chok dee !

Ian

Edited by LivinginKata
format error corrected

You are lucky!!! My point of view, avoid those 3 provinces. Even the Thais are afraid of visiting those place. Not being paranoid, no one would like to risk going there as what I said , you are lucky.

Would concur with the views though the obvious safety features were ;

a) with Thai's who live there and understand the risks and have active mobile phones (my brother in law also has a licensed gun and carries it !).

B) only travel during daylight hours on main roads

c) stayed only there during the day returning to Hat Yai in the evening.

It is a great shame this area is not more accesible as I found it one of the most interesting having travelled extensively all over the rest of Thailand in the last 10 years.

dam_n the Brits (I'm one myself) for making this problem as they gave over these provinces to the Thai's in favour of a rail link from Singapore to Burma at the turn of the 20th century.

Songkhla and Hat Yai are absolutely fine though no more dangerous than London !

Ian

P.s Talking of afraid many Thai's are afraid of staying in the house alone - imagine the chaos if all the spirit houses were to be magically removed leaving Thailand open to a spirit invasion - shudder the the thought !

Edited by beautifulthailand99

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

As a female Aussie married to a Thai from a village in Pattani province, I can add my own experience as follows:

My husband has taken me to visit and stay with the family in the small village where he is from 5 times so far. We waited over a year before his mum came around to the idea of me, and now is fine.

The village he is from doesn't have "troubles" (as in bombings and shootings), and is easy to get complacent as it seems so tranquil.

After spending a lot of time there is not all as things seem to a farang.

His village in peaceful - because the elders and the local mafia keep it so (young'uns that get up to mischief get more than a clip around the ear).

5km up the road in various directions is not so safe. Have driven around the rice fields near his village, but only to the extent that hubby thinks is safe to do so.

Generally no one goes out at night, especially after a certain hour, for very good reasons (not that there is much to do anyway).

Have also spent 2 days and a night in another small "village" (barely that) in Naratiwat, as the rains came in and our day trip ended up an overnighter as was not safe on the road in the weather, and by the time it had cleared was dark and there was a curfew, so stayed with the family.

The whole "village came over to see me, and there was quite a cerfuffle over whose house I would have a shower in, as everyone wanted the honour (?).

Generally if you spend some time down there you can figure out by subtle things, what the situation is like.

For example with the checkpoints and road blocks. Although they come and go, there are ones with fresh razor wire and sandbags and the soldeirs and police look on edge. Then there are others with a selection of potted plants decorating them, the closest house has opened a shop to feed the army, and the soldeirs and police have really made themselves comfortable with non-standard issue furniture etc.

As a farang you really do stand out, so there is no blending in. People speak mostly Jawi, and if they speak Thai it is Bangkok Thai as opposed to southern Thai (as that is what they learn in school and hear on tv).

If your wife says not to go, is probably wise to listen to her, as your presence would be a big distraction and may make the situation she is in worse.

If you ever do go there, everyone will come and have a visit wherever you are, just to see you (when my husband calls me onthe phone and speaks English, he ends up with a group of little kids following him around just to hear him talking in English).

Regarding mobile coverage - you just need to purchase a new SIM card and have it registered with your passport for it to be activated. Sims purchased outside of the area can not be used (to prevent insurgents from out of town swanning in).

I hope your wife can get her daughterr out - she will be treading very lightly to negotiate this I am sure, and is probably a big reason why she doesn't want you to come with her.

I wish her the best of luck in this regard.

The best hope for the kids is to go to school elsewhere, as schools and teachers are common targets, and a lot of children get exposed to many things they really shouldn't. The schools that are safe are ironically not that great, and pretty much all of the schools are short staffed. Teachers down there do a lot more than teach kids.

If you do go there at any point in the future, and meet any English speakers, such as Malaysians, Indonesians, Pakistanis or anyone that tells you about how they have been in Pakistan etc - change the subject and bury your head in a book. Don't let them know where you are going etc. Most of the "troubles" stem from people not local coming in and financing dubious operations (from drug stuff and upwards).

The locals are usually harmless - the ones that talk to you. They are generally curious, friendly and amazed you are around.

The majority of people in these 3 provinces just want everyone to stop fighting and leave them be. They want to be able to work and raise their families in a safe place, not have to send their children away to be safe, and have to travel far away to be able to make enough money to support their families.

If you keep your wits about you it can be lovely, and the scenery is gorgeous in places.