So Starting Off In 2 Days To The North From Phangan. Searching For Advice

mrkrabs

Well, since I am now writing this the third time (1 time win update, 1 time firefox crash), I decided to shorten things a little.

So we are going to the north in two days, up to Laos, and are planing on exploring the waters that we pass. Since this is my first time fishing in Thailand (after only living here for 15 months :whistling:), I pretty much have no clue, where, what, when about fishing in Thailand in general.

Am not interested in saltwater or "fishing parks" (has nothing to do with fishing). I prefer rivers of middle sizes (ca 50 - 100m wide) or not too big lakes. Actually river fishing is my favorite thing, that I was doing exessivly in Germany on Rhein river.

I recently imported all my equipment which is quite heavy. In Germany I was hunting only cats (up to 70kg) and Zanders and Pikes. So my equipment is set and ready for those sizes. I prefer not catching anything for 10 nights, but then 1 big one, over 100 x 1kg fishes.

So of course, fishing in a new country is always difficult, especially 10k km away from home, where there is nothing like at our place. I was reading some, but that did not really answere my specific newbie questions I have.

So at first I would love to know about interesting water on the way to the north, especially rivers. Those should be at least 1 1/2 meters deep and not giant. And next to that, it would be very nice to know, what fishes there are existing and the possibilie of them even being there. So it would not help to mention for example mekong cat, when only 1 is existing in the stream of 80km. But also no need to be 100 existing on 50squaremeters. So helping would types that in general there are existing, mainly going in the direction of 5kg+. Also I prefer hunters.

Snakeheads are very interesting as well. Are they common in rivers, or more likely in lakes? Best method using spinnfishing, or bait / live bait?

What about catfishes here in rivers? Are they existing, and wish type. Are they common / uncommon?

Every information is welcome, and would be very thankful to not enter this completely blind :ph34r:. A brief overview is very helpful. And to say again: No need to surely catch something. Everything else I will see at the water B)

Thanks a lot!!

Cheers,

mrkrabs

C&R

Just think of this before you set off fishing in rivers. Thais fish to eat most rivers are already picked clean of big fish (they eat everything big or small). There is a reason why i fish in fishing parks because there you can be sure the big fish are not taken home and eaten. (or sold).

There is one thing that might help you look into fox arma mesh. I have bought some and i think it could be good for river fishing on striped catfish. I used it in ngau nam (shadow lake) without result of course. But i think it has potential for rivers as it could help your bait to stay on the hook (or hair) without being dispersed by the current.

Mr Krabi,

Im sure you have noticed the lack of photo's of big fish captured in the wild here in South East Asia?...That should tell you all you need to know, and why those "in the know" are largely forced to use commercial fisheries, I hope you prove everybody wrong on your planned trip!

well first thanks for replying. This is not only here the case, but actually in the whole world like this. How said, i dont expect a catch at all. It would jutt suck to fish on dishes that are not at all existing. The amount does not matter. Also i neues saw anybody catching a big one in germany. And nobodY thinks they are there but they are. Rare, even extremely rare but they are. And this is actually my main question, if existing at all, and which species could be existing? Leaving tomorrow