The Smoke Is Here

sunholidaysun1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving from Rico's through Den Ha and the haze was quite dense. Driving on the Old Chiang Mai road out of the City and it got worse. The Chart is nice but seeing is believing, smelling the smoke, seeing the haze and the burning of the eyes tell me far more than someones nice chart, Maybe TacoBoy you need to get out of the bar more often. :D

I hadn't noticed consciously but now you mention it, I did buy some face masks yesterday due to some irritation.

It doesn't help in the evenings when all the villagers sit around there fires burning plastic as slow as they can for maximum effect.

I was talking to my wife from the Middle East yesterday and asked her how much or little smoke haze there was around Wiang Nuea. She tells that there is not much at all and no-one is having any respiratory problems: runny noses, coughs etc. Has anyone noticed any bad cases of the smoke overwhelming their neck of the woods? I bought some carbon impregnated disposable masks for the family for any rough days.

Its definately here Garry, not bad yet maybe. I can just see the start of the mountain ranges but then its just smoke haze.

'Tis the Season', my Swiss neighbour just came back from his first impromtu fire watch. got a nice tan too , looks like he just got back from Cameroon :lol:

Where did you get the mask from garry, I've picked up a few different ones to try, having trouble getting them to stay on when I put my helmet on. Won't have that problem in a few years when I get my OAP ears. :D

Its definitely here Garry, not bad yet maybe. I can just see the start of the mountain ranges but then its just smoke haze.

'Tis the Season', my Swiss neighbor just came back from his first impromptu fire watch. got a nice tan too , looks like he just got back from Cameroon :lol:

Where did you get the mask from garry, I've picked up a few different ones to try, having trouble getting them to stay on when I put my helmet on. Won't have that problem in a few years when I get my OAP ears. :D

Hi Jubby,

I buy mine in Big C in the automotive section. There are a couple of different style. Some more suited for full face, some open face and some (harder plastic) )work shop style. At least there are some to choose from. If the smoke gets too heavy for my wife and daughters and if it turns out that the weather is better in Chiang Mai, then I will be sending them down their to stay with family for a few months. Wait and see I suppose.

The Mountains to the West are just a blur, the road in from Chang Mai (20 km out of the city ) smoggy , burning eyes etc . In town its just starting to take a slow grip. I estimate by wednesday of next week it will be as thick as it normally gets, bad news but we have to put up with it, unless the beach calls.

I was talking to my wife from the Middle East yesterday and asked her how much or little smoke haze there was around Wiang Nuea. She tells that there is not much at all and no-one is having any respiratory problems: runny noses, coughs etc. Has anyone noticed any bad cases of the smoke overwhelming their neck of the woods? I bought some carbon impregnated disposable masks for the family for any rough days.

Hey Garry.

I can't really see the smoke in town too much. On the days I get out where I can see the mountains, it is very apparent. I went to Mae Sai two days ago and the mountains were tinged a dark blue, from a distance.

My sinuses have started having fits and the old eyes are itching constantly. So, it is strong enough to be annoying me.

On another note, I owe you an apology. I dropped the ball with you and I'm sorry. You asked me for some info and I passed on the request to "higher up" but an answer didn't come back and I forgot all about it until just now. I hope you were able to find a good place to get your trouble remedied. At the time you asked, I had a lot of other things distracting me and your request just fell off of the ol' radar.

We just got back from town and this evening things are noticeably smokier. Something seems to have changed in the atmospheric conditions and the smoke is lingering. Just the normal number of visible fires but the conditions are worse.

That is our report from the house in the field, Phayamengrai.

Hey Garry.

I can't really see the smoke in town too much. On the days I get out where I can see the mountains, it is very apparent. I went to Mae Sai two days ago and the mountains were tinged a dark blue, from a distance.

My sinuses have started having fits and the old eyes are itching constantly. So, it is strong enough to be annoying me.

On another note, I owe you an apology. I dropped the ball with you and I'm sorry. You asked me for some info and I passed on the request to "higher up" but an answer didn't come back and I forgot all about it until just now. I hope you were able to find a good place to get your trouble remedied. At the time you asked, I had a lot of other things distracting me and your request just fell off of the ol' radar.

No problem mate, I've been a bit preoccupied myself and not following through with some things that I said I was going to do. Not normally my modus operandi, but I found out enough of what I needed to know. Next time I'm back we'll definitely have to have some brunch somewhere and I'll ensure that my riding buddies are on hand as well. :D

Seems like the smoke has lifted somewhat . The wind and the rain today have assisted in dispersing what smoke we have had and with any luck the local burning has and will be kept to a minimum , having said that we all know that the smoke will come and when it does it will be thick and choking. Maybe the Thais have been instructed to burn a little bit at a time :D

When I flew out a week ago I found the "smog" blanket of a consistent thickness right through to Bangkok, something I haven't noticed before at this time of the year.

I'll take note of it when I return on Monday for any changes.

Fans coming to the airport to greet me, I'll be the guy kissing the tarmac. :)

Im going to keep my fingers crossed that the low level wind keeps the smoke at bay. The smoke is there for sure but it seems to be more high up and hasnt drifted down yet , but we know it will come .

I flew out two weeks ago and back in on Tuesday, there's more high level smoke down over Bangkok than there is up here.

It's like a blanket that goes up to a couple of thousand feet then it clears up.

The mountains are still cloudy in the day with smoke haze but its at night that you can really start to smell the smoke . Thais in my village are burning at night as not to be seen by the police and fined for burning .

I have noticed today the start of those black particles starting to drift into the garden , so before long most things will start getting a covering of soot.

My nose is blocked already , maybe I should wear a mask , it cant be doing our lungs any good, were not immune to it .