The Smoke Is Here

sunholidaysun1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, here is a link to daily air pollution averages.

PM 10 is typically the dust or smoke in the air. 120 and greater is considered Unhealthy.

AQI is the total Air Quality Index. Levels of 100 and up are considered Unhealthy.

http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/default.cfm

I was in Mae Sai the other day and even though the mountains on the left driving up are very hazy , I didnt think there was any difference than to Amphur Chiang Rai City . The smoke is more noticeable at night but maybe as i said previously , the Thais are burning at night more . Daytime is ok , my doors and windows are open but come evening the smoke is quite strong where I am and all get quickly shut.

Standards for AQI and PM10 of 100 and 120 respectively are what the web site claims as a standard not to be exceeded.

Drove from Chiang Mai center to Chiang Rai yesterday and I thought the haze and smoke was far worse in Chiang Mai than this side of the mountain in Chiang Rai.

But the Air Quality Index report shows it was worse than Chiang Mai on a 24 hour average in Chiang Rai ending at 9am this morning.

It has not stopped raining for 2 days where I live, I cant remember when the last time it rained in March like this . Certainly the weather in the world is changing, snow will be here later I think , it feels cold enough for it . :D

But Man, that Air's as fresh as the Air in Uist ;)

I guess strange weather this time of the year. Forecast same for tomorrow and colder at night with rain. More like December weather. People here are keeping their cold weather clothes on, jackets, etc. I just have a long sleeve shirt on and very comfortable and took a long walk today in the light rain. I guess because I came from a cold winter in Utah with a lot of snow, this is a piece of cake here. I prefer this to the heat in the muggy 90's.

Even the Disco Shrimp are not Dancing it's so cold :lol:

Only about 15 C = 59 F at 7pm and still raining :annoyed:

Thank god for my space heater fan bought in Mae Sai :)

Even the dog is hogging the heater tonight.

Edited by TacoBoy

It has not stopped raining for 2 days where I live, I cant remember when the last time it rained in March like this . Certainly the weather in the world is changing, snow will be here later I think , it feels cold enough for it . :D

For sure, this has got to be very unusual for March, several days of light rain, and more to come. And it was so hot and dry just before. I did a control burn up a steep hillside last week, and I know that won't endear me with T.Visa members from C.Rai. It didn't endear me to the Aka neighbors who thought their houses might be threatened (there was no danger). However, the burn was useful for clearing out a lot of dead vines and bushes which weren't doing anyone or animals any good. Now, the hillside is clearer, and animals can forage easier, and trees can grow without hundreds of kilos of vines weighing them down. Plus, because it was a control burn, it gives a safety buffer for the nearby houses, in case a real burn comes along later - as we still have two months of drought ahead, even considering this odd rainy spell. Oh, and it makes it pleasant to scramble over the rocks there, whereas before it was near impossible due to the massive amounts of dead vines and brush. Ok, you'all don't have to agree, but that's that.

I also have sinus problems, mostly from hay fever. I get it twice a year here, Oct and March. The control burn didn't exacerbate it, indeed it helped. Reason: I got caught behind a rock while a wall of flame went by on the other side. I almost got literally flamed. It got my adrenaline going, and cleared my sinuses.

Edited by brahmburgers

Not North Uist , it smells of fish up there :D

Hey Jubby - Food sure keeps longer at these temperatures even fish smell is less noticeable. My temperature registered the years low at 2:15am of 13 C - that is getting down there. Even the toads and mosquitoes have called it quits which makes for a quieter pest free evening. Got my woollies on again as well. :ph34r:

For sure, this has got to be very unusual for March, several days of light rain, and more to come. And it was so hot and dry just before. I did a control burn up a steep hillside last week, and I know that won't endear me with T.Visa members from C.Rai. It didn't endear me to the Aka neighbors who thought their houses might be threatened (there was no danger). However, the burn was useful for clearing out a lot of dead vines and bushes which weren't doing anyone or animals any good. Now, the hillside is clearer, and animals can forage easier, and trees can grow without hundreds of kilos of vines weighing them down. Plus, because it was a control burn, it gives a safety buffer for the nearby houses, in case a real burn comes along later - as we still have two months of drought ahead, even considering this odd rainy spell. Oh, and it makes it pleasant to scramble over the rocks there, whereas before it was near impossible due to the massive amounts of dead vines and brush. Ok, you'all don't have to agree, but that's that.

I also have sinus problems, mostly from hay fever. I get it twice a year here, Oct and March. The control burn didn't exacerbate it, indeed it helped. Reason: I got caught behind a rock while a wall of flame went by on the other side. I almost got literally flamed. It got my adrenaline going, and cleared my sinuses.

Shame you can't control the pollution that goes with it, so hence the weather ;) ,

Well the Cockerels have began to crow again, So I guess the Rains almost over.

My internet has miraculously burst into life too, another sign the the rains have passed :huh:

Mine too, had no connection since 3pm yesterday, called 3BB 4 x and all i got was "not know it come soon" so it's good to be up and running again, is your television working ok ?, mine is SH!te freezes all the time :realangry: .

Well the Cockerels have began to crow again, So I guess the Rains almost over.

My internet has miraculously burst into life too, another sign the the rains have passed :huh:

Mine too, had no connection since 3pm yesterday, called 3BB 4 x and all i got was "not know it come soon" so it's good to be up and running again, is your television working ok ?, mine is SH!te freezes all the time :realangry: .

I called them once yesterday, they said no none else was affected. TV's been fine. wouldn't call them more than once, don't need the frustration. I've had lots of problems over the years when it rains. The mind Boggles , and stayed that way, unfortunately :)

A controlled burn were you almost got fried :unsure:

Perhaps keeping the grass and weeds/vines under control on a regular basis would negate the need to burn all of it(which only encourages new growth), putting yourselves and others at risk from a fire that, although you said was controlled, can easily get out of hand on thick brush/vines.

Edited by chang35baht

• 11 months later...

Very strange that there isn't one single fire in all of Isaan where there are a lot of rice farmers.

Makes me wonder as to the accuracy of this map.

Wonder if that's Village Farang's farm thats burning near wiang Chai.

Edited by dindong

The view of the mountains are disappearing more and more.

Here a map over fires the last 48 hours in our part of the world:

post-29230-0-98174200-1329548702_thumb.j

Here is a link to the website:

http://maps.geog.umd...htm#russia_asia

Thailand cannot blame anyone but themselves.

And note there are no fires at all in Vietnam and not many in Laos!

wacko.pnghuh.pngblink.png

Agent Orange took care of Vietnams forest problems. No need to burn. jap.gif