New Sponsor For Krabi Forum

KrabiHostel

Yes, one item on my list of to-dos is to construct a key-entry door so that the reception can be 'remotely-manned' at night. The only late-night customers seem to be short-times from the bars, and I can't really be bothered to rent a room for just a few hours to them!

We've been living in Ao Nang for just over 1 year, so experienced the low season last year. It certainly wasn't deserted, and it will be interesting to see what our occupancy rate is during the low season.

In any case, I'm not trying to make a profit on the business this year, preferring to reinvest the profits and to build up awareness on the internet etc of the business.

Simon

Ah ,now I see..

The cleaner never needs a day off and you don't get to spend any time in the evening / night with you wife, unless you bed down in reception !

Hope you have a work permit .....it has been known for Farang businessmen here to be "shopped" by their competition if they are perceived to be doing well !! ( seriously..it has happened to personal friends of mine with a small restaurant venture in Ao Nang ).

Confused by your earlier post asking for help finding staff ( more than one I believe ) ......

Pleased that you have made the effort to introduce yourselves , but surely it's an unnecessary "waste of resources" given that you are fully booked for the "foresee-able" and therefore don't require the goodwill / recommendations of our local contingent !

Mancub, I'm not sure what "tree you are barking up" (American expression when your hound has a coon in a tree), but you can rest easily as Simon has been doing business here in Thailand for awhile, I'm sure has work permit matters under control and is probably aware of any necessary local matters covered.

Your small restaurant friend (?), sure, some dummy gets off a plane everyday and is convinced by his teerat to open a restaurant, then is fleeced. Amazing thailand!

Please excuse my ignorance, my American friend, but why would a hound be chasing a raccoon up a tree?

Edited by TEFLKrabi

Please excuse my ignorance, my American friend, but why would a hound be chasing a raccoon up a tree?

Racoon hunting is popular in certain parts of America.

Since you are in the education business, I will recommend a novel for you; "Where The Red Fern Grows". Mandatory reading for grades 6-7 in the U.S. but a good read for adults too.

Based on a young man and his coon hounds. Will make the picture clear for you as well as jerk a couple tears.

• 8 months later...

What happened to the hostel Simon?

Have you re-branded or moved on?

(posting from my simon43 nick)

Mkawish - the room rates are only 1 click away - easy to find in a few seconds if you need accommodation.

Also, just like my other hotel, I do not use booking agents in Thailand. I do not need to use them when I can fill my rooms 100% using direct marketing strategies and use of international booking agents.

The best way to fill the rooms is the method with the lowest premium to pay (ie commission). That would be via on-line bookings on my web-site

Simon

Actually the reason for the sale is primarily one of operating logistics. My new hotel at Phuket Airport will open soon, and I do not have enough family staff to manage both locations, (there is me, my wife and her brother - that is it).

We can employ external staff, but they tend not to be as dedicated to a business as family members. (Of course, with some families, the opposite is true!)

I have been commuting weekly between Phuket/Ao Nang for months now - that is not a viable, longterm solution.

So my wife and I have decided that after our airport hotel opens, we will relocate the Ao Nang guesthouse business to Phuket Airport as well, (since the customer demand for accommodation in that area justifies a guesthouse AND small hotel).

Oh, the rebranding was because we intend to build another small hotel in the near future with that new brand name - no other reason.

Simon

Edited by simon43