Flight Info For Bkk To Cm

pete325is

I've planned to visit LOS later this year, primarily in the northern area. I'll be flying in from US-HK-BKK. If I decide to fly in to CM from BKK, should I

1. purchase the ticket for BKK-CM while booking my longhaul flight with my travel agency while still in the US, or

2. clear the immigrant/custom at the BKK airport and then purchase the BKK-CM ticket at one of the discount carrier counters outside?

Can I book the BKK-CM flight with the discount carriers thru their internet site and pick up some kind of electronic ticket while still in the US?

TIA :o ,

Pete

I haven't done it myself from the U.S. but I do believe if you log on to NokAir you will be able to buy your ticket, pick your seat and get an e-ticket by return e-mail

It is not the cheapest low cost airline since it is owned by Thai Airways, it has many proponents and they do not charge for inflight refreshments and do allow online seat reservations.

You do save money by clearing customs and immigration and then "shopping" One-Two-Go and AirAsia sales booths in the domestic terminal to see the best rate and soonest flight after your arrival. I saw a 999 Baht promotional fare for One-Tw0-Go at the airport last time I was there. They do provide inflight free refreshments while Air Asia does not. Likewise One-Two-Go gives you a seat assignment while Air Asia is a "cattle call" boarding scenario.

Watch your arrival date, as the CNX destination is booked solid on many pre-holidays and Fridays.

You have nothing to loose in trying the NokAir website if you want the security of having your seat and ticket confirmed before arriving. After a long flight, saving $10 on a ticket by shopping the counters at the airport may not be worth the trouble or uncertainty.

Likewise, pay attention to the weight of your baggage. I have actually had less trouble with baggage weight on domestic flights, as I have had on international ones. Good luck.

Note that Thai Airways is the safest when your flight is delayed. With teh budget carriers you lose the ticket. With Thai AIr they just put you on the next plane. Thai Air is about 1000 baht dearer compared to Nok. All can be booked online.

Also Thai Air may allow you to label luggage all the way through to ChianG mai, and have you go through customs/immigration in Chiang mai. Not sure that this is a major benefit tho..

Whenever the airline offers to check my bags through to Chiang Mai I decline the offer. It is much easier to sail through the "nothing to declare" aisle in BKK than it is to clear customs in Chiang Mai. So few passengers clear in Chiang Mai that the guys have nothing to do but check your bags if only to keep themselves awake.

:o

Whenever the airline offers to check my bags through to Chiang Mai I decline the offer. It is much easier to sail through the "nothing to declare" aisle in BKK than it is to clear customs in Chiang Mai. So few passengers clear in Chiang Mai that the guys have nothing to do but check your bags if only to keep themselves awake.

:o

I would have to agree with that, never been stopped in CM, but have seen plenty of people stopped that have that would have sailed through in BKK. :D

If I am scheduled from Lon>C.M.on TG I actually prefer to be booked straight through.

Last couple of occasions I got into Bangkok early and walked onto an earlier flight than booked to "oop narth"without any hassle.

Usually only travel with my plastic tesco bag so with customs in CM its minimum delay.

Also in Bangers departure if delayed can nip round to the Business lounge for a free G&T and one of thise pastry things with the chicken and apple fillings :o

Another nice little bar downstairs (left hand side)in the lounge where you get on the bus out to the plane.

Refreshments and online seat reservations are only free on Nokair if you select the Nok Plus option which costs 500bt more. It also ups your baggage allowance from 15kg to 30kg.

What ever you do, do not take the last flight out of cnx to bkk on 1/2go!

Everytime the flight has been delayed by at least one hour and a half!

I think that they keep the plane on the ground waiting for the last few customers they can round up. This has happened to me 3 Times now.

Never had a problem with NOK or Thai airways.

Just curious, are the ticket counters for Nok Air, Air Asia and etc. located in the same building as the international departure hall in the BKK airport?

I guess for a mere savings of only about 1000 bht I won't be bothered with checking out of the immigration/custom in BKK and then comparison shopping for discount air carriers with luggage in tow.

Btw, how long is the flight between BKK and CM?

Note that Thai Airways is the safest when your flight is delayed. With teh budget carriers you lose the ticket. With Thai AIr they just put you on the next plane. Thai Air is about 1000 baht dearer compared to Nok.  All can be booked online.

Also Thai Air may allow you to label luggage all the way through to ChianG mai, and have you go through customs/immigration in Chiang mai.  Not sure that this is a major benefit tho..

It's generally quicker to go through Immigration in Bangkok than in Chiang Mai, in my experience.

To get from the International terminal to the Domestic terminal is easy: when you have cleared Immigration, picked up your bags and cleared customs on Don Mueang (Bangkok International Airport), you just look for the signs saying "Airport Shuttle Bus". jump on and get off at the Domestic terminal where you check in to your connecting flight. Have never waited for more than 10 minutes for the shuttle bus.

1. You can take the shuttle bus to Domestic or walk upstairs and take a 10 minute walk in an air conditioned enclosed walkway - between flights this might be welcome by some.

2. Nok Air offers on line seat selection for all AFAIK. The extra 500 baht for NokPlus get you paper, snack, larger seats, higher weight allowance and free change of flights. Not bad.

3. Flight is about 50 minutes and on Nok may depart/arrive early if all boarded. Check in counters for these airlines do not accept late arrivals.

4. Check in for domestic flights is in Domestic Terminal - for Nok in same area as Thai.

5. Nok has a very cool paint job - 3 year old granddaughters eyes still light up (after a trip 5 months ago) every time she sees an advertisement on TV.

We recently arrived on the non-stop from NewYork to BKK on Thai Air and our luggage was checked in through to Chiang Mai. We went through custom's at BKK before me met switched flights to Chiang Mai, and our luggage went through customs when we arrived at Chiang Mai. It was very convenient this way.

Note that Thai Airways is the safest when your flight is delayed. With teh budget carriers you lose the ticket. With Thai AIr they just put you on the next plane. Thai Air is about 1000 baht dearer compared to Nok.  All can be booked online.

Also Thai Air may allow you to label luggage all the way through to ChianG mai, and have you go through customs/immigration in Chiang mai.  Not sure that this is a major benefit tho..

It's generally quicker to go through Immigration in Bangkok than in Chiang Mai, in my experience.

To get from the International terminal to the Domestic terminal is easy: when you have cleared Immigration, picked up your bags and cleared customs on Don Mueang (Bangkok International Airport), you just look for the signs saying "Airport Shuttle Bus". jump on and get off at the Domestic terminal where you check in to your connecting flight. Have never waited for more than 10 minutes for the shuttle bus.

Seems a lot of hassle here.

As I said above on earlier flight I arrived at D.M just after 3-10pm and went to transfer desk.

Told the guy that I was on the 5-30 to C.M but any chance of the earlier one at 3-30pm.(no luggage)..and sure enough ..mai problem.

Gave me a new boarding card,walked downstairs (quick Heine) jumped on the bus and was on the plane a couple of minutes later.

The time between getting off the London TG to CM departure was only about @ 15 mins.with customs /arrivals in C.M only another couple on top...easy :D

I was so impressed that i wrote a recco.in a Business travel Mag which is still on line today. :o:D

>We recently arrived on the non-stop from NewYork to BKK on Thai Air >and our luggage was checked in through to Chiang Mai. We went >through custom's at BKK before me met switched flights to Chiang >Mai, and our luggage went through customs when we arrived at >Chiang Mai. It was very convenient this way.

So its ThaiAir all the way through to CM?

Why would your luggage went through customs twice, both in BKK and CM??

No..not always ...sometimes...BMI-KLM>amsterdam-China A>Bang>TG >C.M :o

When leaving from the smoke I just make sure that I have the boarding passes issued in London before dept...thats it.

Things are now changing with the introduction of E-tics which assuming the machine accepts your CC-ID-FFcard etc..should make the whole process even easier.(and u can pick your seat)