Suvarnabhumi Airport

saranagon

It seems Mr T intends to burn rubber and hit the runway at the new Suwanna. on Thai Air Force one on said day .....cos he said so...

29th @09-39.....he got the Power.....no cracks please...x-ray machines..etc. :o

It will open exactly as scheduled this month. It just won't be used until at least the end of next year, maybe later. Face is saved, but nothing is accomplished.

Welcome to Thailand.

Thanks for that,i am also informed by a good expat friend of mine in Pattaya that the opening will be june 06 ,Oh well really nobody knows for sure :o

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

Anyone know when the New Airport is opening ??

The year following the current year. This seems to be the theme so far...

How much will taxis be from central bkk to the airport ?

When will trains run there and where from and how much ?

Will buses go there ? How much, where from and how long ?

The model of the new airport in don muang is good to see.

Edited by Khun Bob

My first posting here but I figured it was time to contribute,

I visited the new airport last week and I can tell you that it is far from completed, did you read in the newspaper today that the journalists were not allowed in because everything was cleaned for the PM? Yeah right, it's a mess in there and apart from some desks nothing really is completed. The road to the airport is not even completed so I bet the PM had to leave over a dirt road.

The engineer that showed us around told us that they probably going to open next september but they have to cut back the test period.

[weblink deleted by moderator]

Indeed welcome to Thailand :o

Two flights will arrive on 29-09-05 - don't know what time though but no doubt it will be auspicious.

Are you sure?

If so, I am rescheduling my flight from Dubai to the 28th! Sure as ###### don't want to land at Suvarnabhumi when I have around 45 minutes to transfer to my flight to Chiangmai, which is from Dom Muang! :o

This could end up being like Buenos Aires, where you arrive at the international terminal then have to take a one hour taxi to get to the domestic airport. :D

The picture in the Business Today newspaper I found particulary funny, it was taken in just the right angle. It looked like the airport was completed and the images on TV I just saw were taken in the dark.

From what I heard they're now going to open next year at the King's birthday.

[comments about website, weblink deleted]

• 1 month later...

Anyone know the breakdown of how flights will be split between the two airports? I've heard that DM may become a purely domestic airport, but I've also heard that DM will keep regional (SE Asian) flights. Both from unreliable sources!

The fewer flights into DM the better - we have a house near the approach path (yeah, I know - wasn't me that chose the plot!).

All domestic and international passenger flights are planned to go out of Suvarnabhumi.

There are various proposed plans for Don Muang to become

1. Air freight only.

2. Regional service and training center

3. Air force base

and the best of all... The hub of tennis or some such nonsense.

It took forty five years to get the easy part partially done, no one in the airlines or infrastructure (trains, roads, air traffic control, catering, etc) is getting too worked up on the big move to a smaller airport.

Edited by xbusman

Local airline representatives (specific carriers and IATA) were quoted in a recent article (Post or Nation, can't remember which) as saying that they are targeting a December, 2006 opening. The PM is on record as saying July, 2006, at the latest. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Also the airlines are beefing about rents and landing fees saying the aiport should have more retail space, and make money from that as do SIN, KUL and HKG. It sounded as though they are still negotiating landing fees and rents, and that like the subway, retail space (other than King Power of course) may be an afterthought?

• 2 weeks later...