Favorite Thai Foods

ginooooo

and was wondering, what are some of the ex-pat's favorite Thai foods? My 2 are kapow with a lot of hot peppers and steak and broccoli. Started this topic because perhaps others there have their specials which I have not tried and will soon with the available beef/pork/chicken mix.

Behind the Wang Come, opposite side of the street, is a fantastic yellow noodle dish on offer. Popular place, don't know the name of it. Don't know the name of the dish either. I just point or have the wife order. The best Thai dish in town, for my taste buds. Someone else will know what it is called. I don't need to know. They know me and they know what I always order.

Excuse the phonetic spelling but my all time favorites are: pak kapow nuea or moo (very spicy), pak boong fidang (spicy), Nam tok moo or nuea (somewhat spicy, a lot of rice powder used in this dish very tasty), cow pat ghai, cow tom ghai.

All of these are ordered 'tamada' (don't change it) to the waitresses / waiters, to ensure the cook doesn't lower the spiciness of the food for the falang.

Wife says the yellow noodle dish is called keaw sai kai. I probably haven't spelled that correctly. She says the shop is called por jai. That probably isn't spelled correctly, either. Same family as the dude who built the White Temple, the clock tower and lots of other stuff in this area.

Often, farangs who have developed their taste for Thai food in western countries and restaurants find the adjustment to real Thai food more than a little disconcerting.

Just try everything that is put before you and give your taste buds time to adjust to the explosion of unusual flavors. If you limit your choices to expat favorites, you will be missing out on the opportunity for some truly amazing culinary experiences. :)

Often, farangs who have developed their taste for Thai food in western countries and restaurants find the adjustment to real Thai food more than a little disconcerting.

Just try everything that is put before you and give your taste buds time to adjust to the explosion of unusual flavors. If you limit your choices to expat favorites, you will be missing out on the opportunity for some truly amazing culinary experiences. :)

We've talked about this in person, but I have to agree, as my wife and I went to a renowned (supposedly) Thai restaurant in my home town of Townsville, Australia and the food recipes had been screwed up for local tastes.

I'll keep this short, but the owners had calmed down the spiciness of the food and made food dishes sweet, when they shouldn't have been sweet etc. We couldn't eat their food and sent it back. After explaining our needs & issues to the cook and owner (explaining them that they were giving a false impression of the spiciness Thai cuisine), we were given an acceptable enough standard of Thai cuisine.

We organized a dinner party there and all food was tamada. My wife even volunteered to assist them with some exacting ingredients. The food was quite good and the aroma of traditional Thai dishes arriving to our table definitely got the attention of other patrons. From what I have heard of late, is that they are now serving traditional Thai dishes with the option (as one would expect) of how spicy you would like it.

Edited by Garry

Bamee noodles are yellow in colour and made with red eggs.

I like Bamee Nam (with hot water soup) and also Bamee Hang (no water or soup).

Can be had with red pork, or many variations.

Across the street from the Old Dutch is pretty good Bamee IMO.

Kaew Sai Kai is Steamed Rice with Chicken, some warm sauce, and green herbs. :lol:

Cow Sai GKai = Steamed white Rice, with or side of, Chicken

Unsubstantiated rumor that chickens may be scarse these days in CR. :rolleyes:

Have to quash that Colonel's recipe rumor so the chicks might return.

Wife says the yellow noodle dish is called keaw sai kai. I probably haven't spelled that correctly. She says the shop is called por jai. That probably isn't spelled correctly, either. Same family as the dude who built the White Temple, the clock tower and lots of other stuff in this area.

Bamee noodles are yellow in colour and made with red eggs.

I like Bamee Nam (with hot water soup) and also Bamee Hang (no water or soup).

Can be had with red pork, or many variations.

Across the street from the Old Dutch is pretty good Bamee IMO.

Kaew Sai Kai is Steamed Rice with Chicken, some warm sauce, and green herbs. :lol:

Cow Sai GKai = Steamed white Rice, with or side of, Chicken

Unsubstantiated rumor that chickens may be scarse these days in CR. :rolleyes:

Have to quash that Colonel's recipe rumor so the chicks might return.

The Khao Sai kai shop opposite Wang Come hotel on Yet Jod if famouse and people from everywhere come for their food.

It is white noodles in a soup with coconutmilk, chicken (Kai) and red curry. Then some dry yellow noodles (probably fried) on top. My favourite lunchplace too!

Yes, they have other dishes too.

:);):)

We've talked about this in person, but I have to agree, as my wife and I went to a renowned (supposedly) Thai restaurant in my home town of Townsville, Australia and the food recipes had been screwed up for local tastes.

I'll keep this short, but the owners had calmed down the spiciness of the food and made food dishes sweet, when they shouldn't have been sweet etc. We couldn't eat their food and sent it back. After explaining our needs & issues to the cook and owner (explaining them that they were giving a false impression of the spiciness Thai cuisine), we were given an acceptable enough standard of Thai cuisine.

We organized a dinner party there and all food was tamada. My wife even volunteered to assist them with some exacting ingredients. The food was quite good and the aroma of traditional Thai dishes arriving to our table definitely got the attention of other patrons. From what I have heard of late, is that they are now serving traditional Thai dishes with the option (as one would expect) of how spicy you would like it.

Have to agree with both of you. Prior to living here I never thought much of Thai food.

What ever country we are in we always seem to find a genuine Thai owned and operated, smaller venue, where we can eat same as here.

Exception was Saudi. Even the Thai owned restaurants had Filipina cooks.

As to the menu:

Kapow first and second.Usually moo khob but I am still flexible. Will do the splits for a good coffee.

Yum Moo Yaw next. Extra extra spicy

And the list goes on. Thats why my figure is what it is.

Have to agree with both of you. Prior to living here I never thought much of Thai food.

What ever country we are in we always seem to find a genuine Thai owned and operated, smaller venue, where we can eat same as here.

As to the menu:

Kapow first and second.Usually moo khob but I am still flexible. Will do the splits for a good coffee.

I read you loud and clear on the Saudi issue. My wife and I had a similar experience in Bahrain in 2007. We tried the food at the Gulf Hotel's Royal Thai restaurant. The food I could only describe as poison :bah: Absolutely terrible and not even coming close to how the food we ordered was supposed to taste and look like. Needless to say it was our first and last attempt at finding a Thai restaurant there.

The Khao Sai kai shop opposite Wang Come hotel on Yet Jod if famouse and people from everywhere come for their food.

It is white noodles in a soup with coconutmilk, chicken (Kai) and red curry. Then some dry yellow noodles (probably fried) on top. My favourite lunchplace too!

Yes, they have other dishes too.

:);):)

Yes, that is the place and that is the dish.

Sounds to me like you guys might be talking about the Northern Thai Noodle Soup called Khao Soi or Soy, which means cut rice. Khao Sai Kai would simply be rice with chicken on or in it. ;)

We know what we are talking about and it is not cut rice, it is noodles in the soup. The noodles might be made by rice. :huh::blink::(

As to the menu:

I read you loud and clear on the Saudi issue. My wife and I had a similar experience in Bahrain in 2007. We tried the food at the Gulf Hotel's Royal Thai restaurant. The food I could only describe as poison :bah: Absolutely terrible and not even coming close to how the food we ordered was supposed to taste and look like. Needless to say it was our first and last attempt at finding a Thai restaurant there.

There are quite a few Thai owned, managed and cooked restaurants in Manama but you need to know where. And they serve pork.

1 next to the Gold Souq. And a very popular hotel (Adhari) just up the road. Careful if your missus aint with you!!!

2 Thai shops and a few restaurants in the Hoora precinct.

Let me know if you are going back and I will give you directions.

There are quite a few Thai owned, managed and cooked restaurants in Manama but you need to know where. And they serve pork.

1 next to the Gold Souq. And a very popular hotel (Adhari) just up the road. Careful if your missus aint with you!!!

2 Thai shops and a few restaurants in the Hoora precinct.

Let me know if you are going back and I will give you directions.

I'll keep a mental note of that mate. I was only there for 11 days on a company sponsored course. One of the best Asian grocery shops we found was the Al Jazeera supermarket over near Ken's Country kitchen. The pork room was like a surgery. Well lit, meticulously clean and maintained, which really surprised me for the Middle East. The fresh Asian veg, canned goods and sauces was just the tip of the iceberg. My wife and I were both definitely sold on this place for our shopping needs. We ended up buying most of our food there and taking it back to the hotel.

Lots of great food mentioned and some I have never tried. Love fried egg noodles with chicken, vegie, thai hot peppers. Not crazy about soups although I think the guy who built the white temple also has a soup noodle place in Phayao and have eaten there with the wife. Hate shrimp, mussels, lobsters, crabs, but Tapia so so if the head is cut off.

I am surprised no one has mentioned pork lap which is my 3rd favorite, very spicy with spicy som tam and sweet rice. Great for the bowel movement.

Laab is of course a mainstay of the rural diet, in much the same way Somtam is. Most people will be familiar with Isaan Laab but I prefer the Northern version called Laab Neua or in the Northern dialect Laab Jin or Laab Mee. Jin being a generic term for meat. Mee refers to a way of preparing it.

Laab-Neua-181.jpg

Laab is of course a mainstay of the rural diet, in much the same way Somtam is. Most people will be familiar with Isaan Laab but I prefer the Northern version called Laab Neua or in the Northern dialect Laab Jin or Laab Mee. Jin being a generic term for meat. Mee refers to a way of preparing it.

Laab-Neua-181.jpg

Wife makes her kind of laap and makes mine different. Hers kinda tastes bland. Instead of papaya, shredded carrots are excellent! Maybe next picinic there, can bring some. Going to stay in Pattaya for 3 days next week before heading to Phayao and try some of the Thai food I know "southern style"

The yellow noodle dish in the photos (khao soi) is not a Thai dish, its Burmese. Laab is either suk (cooked) or uncooked, just fresh blood and chooped meat being either pig,buffalo or cow.

I like laab Isan also which is very spicy but i only eat the cooked version of that. As for the uncooked versions of laab, I know the normal laab that most people eat is from the pig. Buffalo laab is very strong in taste but my favorite is laab made from the blood of a cow which is a little bit sweeter.

My favorite Thai foods are Papaya salad, without the crunchy crab , I order mine with nam palah, not the fish sauce that Thais cook with instead of salt (nam pla) but the fermented stinking brown liquid you see in the buckets in the market, its a taste most farangs cant handle but over the years I have got the taste for it and now love it so much I can drink the stuff like soup.

My other favorites are Yam Talay, seafood salad and Yam Sam Grop , which is a 3 flavour salad, hot, spicy and sour and has fermented quid and deep fried fish stomach mixed in with it . It is similar to a the sea food salad but has a different taste due to the squid and fish stomach in it. Not many farangs eat this dish as not many know about it and there are only a few restaurants in Chiang Rai that have it on the menu. Another unusual northern Thai dish that maybe none of you have tried is what I call green cow shit soup. I have no idea what the Thai name is for it as its not something I order (ever) but have only tried once. Basically its the digested contents of the cows stomach , and seeing as cows eat grass , the colour of what is inside the cows stomach is green . This is used to make a bitter soup and it really is bitter. Ask your wives about it , they will know . :D

I'm with you on the Som Tam, I don't like the crunchy crab and also go for the Nam Palaah :)

My fav's include Pad Grapow Moo Kai Daao, Tum Yum Gai, Laab Moo in restaurants, at home, anything Ms tastic cooks is just the best! (I don't get many answers about what it is though! 'an nee arai?' 'Bla!...'Moo! or whatever the main ingredient is!...'Aroi aroi...Gin!') :lol: I also like the stinky fish thing :) Bpla Balaa, which I was lead to believe was an acquired taste, seems I acquired it immediately :)

As for the cow shit soup....not for me thanks, you can put that with jubby's tadpoles! bah.gif

So, it looks like my favorite Thai food isn't Thai. I suppose none of the dishes here are truly Thai? In that case, I will change my vote. My favorite is the Double Beef Whopper with Cheese at the CM Burger King with a side of Bic Mac from McDonald's across the street. Now we're talkin'.........

So, it looks like my favorite Thai food isn't Thai. I suppose none of the dishes here are truly Thai? In that case, I will change my vote. My favorite is the Double Beef Whopper with Cheese at the CM Burger King with a side of Bic Mac from McDonald's across the street. Now we're talkin'.........

:licklips: