English Resident And His Thai Wife Seriously Assaulted In South Pattaya House Robbery

Rimmer

20k Euros at home in the safe? :blink: Is the Majestic Residence a higher end complex? I would be extremely nervous about keeping that amount of cash in the home in any country.

TheWalkingMan

That's not a lot of cash and jewelry. Once decent diamond ring could soon make it up.

The Majestic Residence is in The Cosy Beach area, and not high end. It does have full security with guards and booms.

Yeah, THAI GUARDS AT WORK .....pssssst dont wake them up. Our guy here you cant wake up if you fire shots close to his head :lol:

I had 3 break ins in Nai Harn area in a year. Twice we were asleep and heard absolutely nothing, just cash and a karton of cigarettes stolen. One time a bit more of everything.

BiB know in the most cases who the pricks are. They fixed a BOX in front of my garage and no break ins since.....guess the burglars respect the box, if they break in now again

bib will loose its face.

Ohhh BTW, I know about a HUNDRED other houses in my area with the same problems :jap:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal defensive device is one of the solution. I think they have to pay monthly charge for security and the garbage management. The security company should have made an insurance for them.(or not) This is an example of High End issue that you can't be all sure to live without a proper protective system for yourself in Pattaya. dude...

Yes good idea ! :lol:

Yumandible50540.jpg

Personal defensive device is one of the solution. I think they have to pay monthly charge for security and the garbage management. The security company should have made an insurance for them.(or not) This is an example of High End issue that you can't be all sure to live without a proper protective system for yourself in Pattaya. dude...

Yes good idea ! :lol:

Yumandible50540.jpg

Ha - he's even got the swag bag at the ready!

Edited by Farang0tang

snapback.pngIAMSOBAD, on 2011-02-15 07:11:41, said:

Best of luck to the Farang victim.

And screw his Thai wife, yes? Unless you have any proof to the contrary, why not assume they were a happily married couple who were BOTH TIED UP, ATTACKED AND ROBBED OF THEIR MONEY. Or is that possibility beyond belief for you?

People with all these comments about inside jobs and deceitful wives are revealing a great deal about themselves and nothing about the actual victims.

As to moving away from Pattaya to escape crime, where are these havens of crime-free existence? Theft, breaking and entering, phsyical assault happen everywhere. Even the Queen of England had an intruder in her bedroom.

Early on Friday morning, July 9, 1982, Queen Elizabeth II woke to find a strange man sitting at the end of her bed. The man, dressed in jeans and a dirty T-shirt, was cradling a broken ashtray and dripping blood onto the royal linens from a lacerated hand. The Queen kept calm and picked up the phone from her bedside table. She asked the operator at the palace switchboard to summon the police. Though the operator did pass the message to the police, the police didn't respond.

SURADIT,

I totally agree with you, is it really so hard to understand and believe that not all relationships with Thai women are bad? I think you are also right in when you say a lot of the people who comment on here have been on the receiving end of a bad experience but what they are doing is tarring all people with the same brush! It all depends on who you choose to be with and who chooses you, if you get a bar girl that does not necessarily mean she will rip you off, i know lots in the UK who worked bars and they are the nicest people i know and are happily married, have children and are in a great relationship but you have to choose wisely.

One can be hapilly married to a Thai, not everything is about money and inside jobs. I am married to a Thai and she has never asked for huge sums of money, we live within our means etc etc. I would say my last English gf was a lot worse than my Thai wife without doubt.

Anyway, a speedy recovery to them both.

I have a safe that I purchased the day after I was drugged by a 'date' and she had access to everything in my room while I was unconscious. I have come to some epiphanies about safes and valuables in general:

1) The safe is good ONLY for valuables protection in the presence of a non-threatening individual (or maybe when one is unconscious) from which one is away for only short durations. Like padlocks, for keeping basically honest people that way.

2) The safe is NOT acceptable for keeping valuables long-term, when one or one's trusted representative is not present because it could be theoretically removed in one's absence or there may be time to crack it. The time to break open is how safes are rated for relative protection value.

3) Storage of any amount of money greater than a few thousand baht (in a safe or pocket) is better left to your local bank.

4) Possession of a safe in any country can initiate an 'exploratory' hit. This is also true of expensive cars.

5) Knowledge of possession/presence of a safe can be very difficult to restrict but it is advisable that it be restricted.

6) One could consider using an obvious safe as a distraction while keeping the items one really wants to see again tomorrow in an even 'safer' or very cleverly concealed and utterly secret hiding place if one is paranoid ... as am I.

Edited by MaxYakov

20k Euros at home in the safe? :blink: Is the Majestic Residence a higher end complex? I would be extremely nervous about keeping that amount of cash in the home in any country.

TheWalkingMan

That's not a lot of cash and jewelry. Once decent diamond ring could soon make it up.

The Majestic Residence is in The Cosy Beach area, and not high end. It does have full security with guards and booms.

Another example dispelling the Myth of "Security in Thailand" The guards and booms are there to provide the illusion of security, they dont actually stop intruders. Case in CM, the guard allowed intruders to drive out in the victims car.

I hope the victims recover quickly from this ordeal. I have only been the victim of burglary and theft and the trauma from that was quite intense. All those talking up how stupid to have that amount of money in their own house aren't only being crass and ignorant, they appear to be pretty heartless as well.

Inside job.... maybe a contractor doing some work in the house recently noticed the safe and told his nefarious mates? Much more likely than 'family or friends' IMHO.

For those that consider 20k euros is too much to have in a safe at home, you obviously aren't in the same league as people who can afford a 8 to 15 million baht house. Maybe you are renting a room above a bar on Soi Buakhao?

Depends on what type safe u have and how well it is concealed plus not telling people u have a safe

TheWalkingMan

He should have gave up the $ right away. Money is useless when you have permanent brain damage.

I get your point about submitting to the thieves demands as money can be replaced (assuming he was sensible enough to get insurance that is) and even if he wasn't it would mean that he is all the poorer for this unfortunate incident but with his life intact , but where does it mention about him having permanent brain damage??? Unless you know more than this article reveals then this is a prime example of how stories get exaggerated after doing the rounds with everybody chipping in with their little add-on bit from fantasy land!!!

I can't understand anyone keeping that amount of cash in a home safe, it seems the thieves may have known something.

It would have been safer to keep the cash in a secret hiding spot within the house and just a small amount of cash in the safe, that way the thieves would have got something and may have left without incident.

Unlikely that will be caught.

That would not work - it is clear, they knew which house, they knew about the cash.

If they did not; why did they choose him and pressure him so much?

TheWalkingMan

My wife is nervous to keep over 5000 Baht at home and we live in a low crime city unlike Pattaya. This story here seems like they almost asked for it.

I can't understand anyone keeping that amount of cash in a home safe, it seems the thieves may have known something.

It would have been safer to keep the cash in a secret hiding spot within the house and just a small amount of cash in the safe, that way the thieves would have got something and may have left without incident.

Unlikely that will be caught.

Phil, that is the wisest idea. After 25 yrs law enforcement, Last 10 as K-9 and a lot of B&E's later, it's the old shell and pea game that wins. I have seen a number of "sucker" safes in homes. Also seen good quality safes fire axed open from the bottom. A constant warning I hear all the time, no show, keep quiet and most of all, use your head (in this case, for something else would be best).

I hope the victims recover quickly from this ordeal. I have only been the victim of burglary and theft and the trauma from that was quite intense. All those talking up how stupid to have that amount of money in their own house aren't only being crass and ignorant, they appear to be pretty heartless as well.

Inside job.... maybe a contractor doing some work in the house recently noticed the safe and told his nefarious mates? Much more likely than 'family or friends' IMHO.

For those that consider 20k euros is too much to have in a safe at home, you obviously aren't in the same league as people who can afford a 8 to 15 million baht house. Maybe you are renting a room above a bar on Soi Buakhao?

...... sounds like an inside job to me chief !! yeah ' l bet it was the maid dressed up ... :ermm:

...... sounds like an inside job to me chief !! yeah ' l bet it was the maid dressed up ... :ermm:

I'm with you here 20k euro is hardly a lot of money

Lots of good points in your text!

Some other things to think about........Buying these local safes is not the best as most are really fire safes. There is some theft protection but not that much. If you have lots of value get Euro grade 1 or TL15 or higher rating. Use dual custody where you need both a key and a combination or 2 keys to get in that safe.

Keep the fact that u own a safe quiet and also hide it in a closet or make a wooden table with a hidden door to keep the safe in.

Always bolt the safe to the floor and it again is best in a restricted access area because this makes it harder to use hammers and or pry bars on. There are some local dealers for the higher grade safes in Bkk. I would stay away from local made safes in general unless I was keep only a few thousand bhat of items inside

I have a safe that I purchased the day after I was drugged by a 'date' and she had access to everything in my room while I was unconscious. I have come to some epiphanies about safes and valuables in general:

1) The safe is good ONLY for valuables protection in the presence of a non-threatening individual (or maybe when one is unconscious) from which one is away for only short durations. Like padlocks, for keeping basically honest people that way.

2) The safe is NOT acceptable for keeping valuables long-term, when one or one's trusted representative is not present because it could be theoretically removed in one's absence or there may be time to crack it. The time to break open is how safes are rated for relative protection value.

3) Storage of any amount of money greater than a few thousand baht (in a safe or pocket) is better left to your local bank.

4) Possession of a safe in any country can initiate an 'exploratory' hit. This is also true of expensive cars.

5) Knowledge of possession/presence of a safe can be very difficult to restrict but it is advisable that it be restricted.

6) One could consider using an obvious safe as a distraction while keeping the items one really wants to see again tomorrow in an even 'safer' or very cleverly concealed and utterly secret hiding place if one is paranoid ... as am I.

I can't understand anyone wanting to live in Pattaya. Just Reading TV posts during the last two weeks with all the crimes and assaults should put anyone off. I did live there once for a few months about 30 years ago and I got robbed twice. I have never been robbed anywhere since.

TheWalkingMan

My wife is nervous to keep over 5000 Baht at home and we live in a low crime city unlike Pattaya. This story here seems like they almost asked for it.

I agree. Why keep 20K in Euros anywa.

Over the past 14 months, the value of the Euro against the Baht has dropped about 8%. Had he changed it into Baht, and had he kept it in a Thai bank he'd have (if he switched back to Euros today) 22k in Euros, (assuming a 2% savings interest rate). Thus he'd be up about 10% in one year. Who wants Euros these days (or US$), I'll take Baht any day in this economic climate.

It does sound like someone knew he kept a lot of cash--it sounds targeted.

The homes at majestics are typically in the range 8 to 15 mil baht.

For me that is a higher range village.

Security at the entry of a village is useless.

No thieves come through the main entry, they will climb the walls.

Quoted reply from deleted post removed

How do you know this??? Are you involved with Majestic Residence Security or maybe you were there watching when it happened (it's alright I'm being sarcastic here just in case you are thinking of sending me a writ for implied complicity in all this). I assume you live (or have lived) in Bangkok as your moniker seems to suggest. Have you also lived in this area in Pattaya before as you are obviously aware of the layout in relation to the vicinity of the surrounding buildings.

Surely the sole function of a security firm is to close and monitor all avenues of entry to unwanted personnel - would you not agree??? If so, they have failed to provide an acceptable level of security in not preventing this serious assault and robbery from taking place. If you somehow knew that entry could be easily gained from an adjacent property, then why on earth didn't the security firm do something about it??? It's their job to close off ,by what ever means, any potential breach such as this, as what use is it if you have electronic sensors (or guarded machine gun turrets even, if it comes to that) on the front entrance if there are big signs at the open, back, of the building saying"please come inside the door's unlocked". So basically, I think you are wrong in your judgement to criticise in the way you have done - with such use of bold text in YOUR reply indicating a certain degree of immaturity in your character when it comes to giving sensible reasoning in your response to someone's posting.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply from deleted post

There is a massive crime wave here in general in Pattaya.

It would help if the BIB did a better job and a less corrupt money focused one.

For instance, areas of improvement......

Lock up rather than bail as a default for certain crimes... so many abscond or re-offend when out on bail.

Police concentrating on law & order and detective work, rather than money/pay-offs/donations etc.

Media following up on crimes, so we see justice done and can watch on TV/read about it too

Better police work all round to investigate, identify and remove the criminal elements so we don't find more than the minor criminals back on the streets a few days/weeks/months later.

Regarding the Russian property/estate agent Victor Crishin who was a well known character and was murdered a few months ago. The Russian culprits were caught and even tried to bribe the BIB with 500k Baht.

High profile for a while and then like all crime stories we get no follow up??

No prosecutions?? No justice?? Not a single paper or media outlet informing what happened?? - has it gone the usual way of pay offs and corruption after the story fades from public view!!

Why is virtually no crime reported on FURTHER at a later stage to give outcomes??

This is part of the reason there is soooo much crime. The criminals serve little if any jail time before they are back on the streets possibly needing to rob some new 'customer' as they have paid for their 'get out of jail free' card and now need to get robbing with new vigour!!

Edited by twix38

Maybe you are renting a room above a bar on Soi Buakhao? (quote earlier)

Don't knock it until you have tried it :annoyed:

I lived in such a place for 6 months without any bad incidents at all. It is a great way to live. :jap:

and, yes, 20K of Euros is a lot to keep around the house, unless you are up to something shady. Pattaya has plenty of banks and ATM's.

I can't understand anyone wanting to live in Pattaya. Just Reading TV posts during the last two weeks with all the crimes and assaults should put anyone off. I did live there once for a few months about 30 years ago and I got robbed twice. I have never been robbed anywhere since.

You got robbed in Pattaya 30 years ago? TWICE?! Thirty years ago? REALLY?!

You must be a total easy touch to get rolled way back then when I regularly used to fall off the old wooden boardwalk on my way home and fall asleep on the beach.

Then again, about the same time, I did have a mate was shot dead when they were stealing his rental motorbike way, way, WAY down the end of Jomtien where he really, really should not have been anyway.

A shame the poor guy didn't have a gun. Parasites love to prey on people they think they can take atavantage of , and the older folks usually catch the most hell for it.

I wish he could have been like this 80 yr old man in Chicago last year who was able to fight back.

http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/05/would-be-burglar-shot-to-death-by-west-side-resident.html

Makes me think twice about living there full time. I agree with an earlier post, live in a condo building-but then I would worry about being forced out the window 16 floors up. I go to Pattaya 2-3 times a year but now I think it might be time to find somewhere else. Seems the news gets worse and worse. I really hate to see what happens to the entire region after the China real estate bubble bursts. Will it be 1998 all over again. Just with how bad it is there with the economy in the toilet, I hate to see what happens when the housing bubble in Thailand when it goes south right after the Chinese economy. Look at all the empty condo buildings in BKK and Pattaya. Just so thoughts to ponder. I hope they don't come true because I would still like to live there full time.

I sure do not see any empty condo buildings in Bangkok, in fact there is a huge shortage of condos in this city, I do see shells of buildings unfinished which is a completely different situation... Condos are in demand here... get your facts right..

Maybe you are renting a room above a bar on Soi Buakhao? (quote earlier)

Don't knock it until you have tried it :annoyed:

I lived in such a place for 6 months without any bad incidents at all. It is a great way to live. :jap:

and, yes, 20K of Euros is a lot to keep around the house, unless you are up to something shady. Pattaya has plenty of banks and ATM's.

Yo Doctor! About 25 years ago, I used to rent a room above a bar in what is now 'Little Arabia' because it fit my circumstances too. Great lifestyle enhancer.

You miss my point about relative wealth though. I had a few hundred baht lifted once while I was renting that room and it pissed me off royally so valuables and cash would get hidden in my dirty laundry or inside a sweaty running shoe.

But now I live in a castle, right now I can see about 4000 quid just lying on the coffee table from where I sit. And I am not dodgy either.