English Resident And His Thai Wife Seriously Assaulted In South Pattaya House Robbery

Rimmer

I hope the victims recover quickly from this ordeal ...

For those that consider 20k euros is too much to have in a safe at home, you obviously aren't in the same league as people who can afford a 8 to 15 million baht house. Maybe you are renting a room above a bar on Soi Buakhao?

I hope they recover as well. However, I believe that people are robbed in this manner not for what they actually have, but for what the robbers believe they could have. Also, there may not be correspondence between the value of the abode and the amount of valuables therein. Consider the high-cash-flow drug dealer living in a slum apartment or the financially-strapped, high-value condo owner struggling to come up with the cash to make the next payment.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what really pisses me off is if he had had a weapon in his home, and had the opportunity to defend himself, he probably would have ended in in jail for assaulting the robbers with a deadly weapon -- in his own home.

That's one thing I really miss about living in the US. If the perps :ph34r: had broke into my home in America, they would have exited my home horizontally.

I know...crazy, gun-loving Americans. But the fact of the matter is that no matter what country your in, their are no policemen hiding in your closet at the ready to rescue you and your loved ones from bad people who break into your home with the intent of doing you and your family bodily harm. It's just that in some countries, you're afforded the opportunity to avoid criminal prosecution should you be put into the situation of having to defend yourself in your own home. Unfortunately, Thailand is not one of those countries. At least not for Farangs. So the only other option is to make you're home into a fortress for your own protection.

But I agree with one of the other posters...inside job? Perhaps family?

These sort of crimes are dramatically increasing in and around Pattaya. I had my property broken into not long ago, fortunately no-one was injured, but it could have quite easily gone like the story above. Best decision I ever made was to move away from Pattaya.

I would say someone employed within the Complex involved with the robbers, guards etc. The victim more than likely liked to flaunt his wealth for all to see.

I hate it when people jump to their own conclusions and assumptions without having any knowledge or facts - exactly as you have done here.

Substitute "more than likely" for "maybe" or "possibly"

two safes, one with a couple of fake watches, some nonsense paperwork, and a token amount of cash, reasonably visible.

second safe with real valuables hidden. Unless an inside job, then they will be satisfied with the token safe. Security 101

Love it! Wish I had a place for the secondary safe. My fridge's ice cube trays are too small and too few ...

I hope the victims recover quickly from this ordeal. I have only been the victim of burglary and theft and the trauma from that was quite intense. All those talking up how stupid to have that amount of money in their own house aren't only being crass and ignorant, they appear to be pretty heartless as well.

Inside job.... maybe a contractor doing some work in the house recently noticed the safe and told his nefarious mates? Much more likely than 'family or friends' IMHO.

For those that consider 20k euros is too much to have in a safe at home, you obviously aren't in the same league as people who can afford a 8 to 15 million baht house. Maybe you are renting a room above a bar on Soi Buakhao?

...... sounds like an inside job to me chief !! yeah ' l bet it was the maid dressed up ... :ermm:

I'm with you here 20k euro is hardly a lot of money

Maybe not to you, but I doubt someone who is quite likely to take 12 and a half years to earn that would agree with you.

Sorry to hear about this.

I have FOUR words to describe my feelings about this crime.

INSIDE JOB FAMILY MEMBER

I hope investigators dont think this just happened.

Best of luck to the Farang victim.

The investigators are much more likley to think "this just happened to a falang, so who cares". Solving it would be if they (the cops) can get a cut of the loot.

You know what really pisses me off is if he had had a weapon in his home, and had the opportunity to defend himself, he probably would have ended in in jail for assaulting the robbers with a deadly weapon -- in his own home.

That's one thing I really miss about living in the US. If the perps :ph34r: had broke into my home in America, they would have exited my home horizontally.

I know...crazy, gun-loving Americans. But the fact of the matter is that no matter what country your in, their are no policemen hiding in your closet at the ready to rescue you and your loved ones from bad people who break into your home with the intent of doing you and your family bodily harm. It's just that in some countries, you're afforded the opportunity to avoid criminal prosecution should you be put into the situation of having to defend yourself in your own home. Unfortunately, Thailand is not one of those countries. At least not for Farangs. So the only other option is to make you're home into a fortress for your own protection.

But I agree with one of the other posters...inside job? Perhaps family?

or get the hell out of Dodge, to someplace that does support shooting people who break into your home.

That amount of money,and safe contents,would have warranted a Bank Safe Deposit Box,at the very least,

dosn't excuse the thieves,and lack of Security, though,and the possible inside knowledge necessary,to know it was well worth a break in!.

Edited by MAJIC

UPDATE

One of three suspects named in South Pattaya assault and robbery case

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya Police Investigators are working around-the-clock to catch three suspects wanted following an assault and robbery at the house of an English resident of Pattaya that occurred on Sunday Night in South Pattaya. The victim’s house has now been thoroughly analyzed by Forensic Police from Chonburi Police Headquarters and behind the house, blood stains were seen on a high wall, suggesting at least one of the assailants was injured as they climbed over the wall which backs onto the Birds & Bees Resort in Pratamnuk Soi 4. Security Cameras are believed to have captured the image of one potential suspect who was seen on a private beach at the resort moments after the attack and in addition a security guard at the resort claimed to have seen one suspicious man on the morning of the attack and a further two men joined him later in the day.

Story continues HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-02-15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

You must be a poor man then maybe a pheasant . cos I got at least 100k bhat in my safe . gold . My watch and my wifes watch if were not wearing them .

The question I got to ask is we work for a long time to gather items of Value including cash , HOW DARE SOME PRICK that doesnt want to do a days work in there life just think they can steal it .

I hope they get caught big time , and beaten . Tourism and farrang are the biggest resource of Thailand and its about time they were protected to the fullest extent .. I just hope it wasnt the wifes brothers friend , but that would be steriotyping ./.......:realangry:

20k Euros at home in the safe? :blink: Is the Majestic Residence a higher end complex? I would be extremely nervous about keeping that amount of cash in the home in any country.

TheWalkingMan

I hope the victims recover quickly from this ordeal. I have only been the victim of burglary and theft and the trauma from that was quite intense. All those talking up how stupid to have that amount of money in their own house aren't only being crass and ignorant, they appear to be pretty heartless as well.

Inside job.... maybe a contractor doing some work in the house recently noticed the safe and told his nefarious mates? Much more likely than 'family or friends' IMHO.

...... sounds like an inside job to me chief !! yeah ' l bet it was the maid dressed up ... :ermm:

I'm with you here 20k euro is hardly a lot of money

Maybe not for you, but for a Thai burglar is is!

error at line 1 .... farang cannot own house, only give money to the wife and pretend it was a gift...

can one be assaulted gently ? oh, i will rough you up a little bit now...

I hate to be finicky, but "oh yes they can" - in every possible instance.

It's the land on which the house sits that they can't own and, even then, there are legal and regular circumstances that they can.

Perhaps what is meant is, error at line 1.... farang cannot own house, and expect not to be shadowed and eventually robbed or worse...

Nice one bitterbatter, though it should be beerbatter....much tastier. Nice ones too, Nanlaew (as usual) and Huey. Love the chap who said he had a decent quid but described a peasant as a pheasant; then again pheasants aren't cheap. I understand Prince Charley shoots and eats 'em when he ain't talking to plants and telling us to consume less. The chappy who said 20k Euro isn't much money to have lying around should really be overlooking Central Park from the Waldorf Astoria, yes? And driving a Ferrari or 3. Love you mate. So quaint.

Well, 20,000 euros, in many parts of Thailand, would build and furnish a nice little house. Did I not also read that a Rolex was also taken? If not a copy, that would probably buy a Ria of land if not more in some places. Now compare that to where you come from = a lot of money.

I just love the conspiracy theorists, keep it up, you are turning this thread into the laugh of the day. :cheesy: Cheers

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Sounds like a normal day in Los Angeles. I recall some years ago, some dear Russian immigrant friends who had a lovely two story home with pool, just south of Wilshire Blvd. Walking distance to the Wilshire Ebell Theater http://ebellla.com/theater/index.htm and its upscale environs. However, two blocks south of the home there were tank traps on Olympic Blvd to prevent the predators from cruising the neighborhood.

The message here is - if someone wants your goodies, they will make a try. In LA there are bottom feeders who will kill you for 1000 EU. 20K in the LOS is a fortune. Possibly an "inside job?"

These sort of crimes are dramatically increasing in and around Pattaya. I had my property broken into not long ago, fortunately no-one was injured, but it could have quite easily gone like the story above. Best decision I ever made was to move away from Pattaya.

I would say someone employed within the Complex involved with the robbers, guards etc. The victim more than likely liked to flaunt his wealth for all to see.

All True! Let your feet do the talking! but is anyone listening

I cant speak for anyone else here but personally I am in that league: I sold a house for somewhat more than 15M Baht a few months ago. But I also think that anyone with 20K Euros in cash in his house is probably an idiot or a crook or both. There are banks for that sort of thing. They are even open every day here so I see little reason not to use them.

And for what it's worth despite having sold a 15MBaht house recently, and despite having that money and more in banks for safe-keeping, I do actually live in a rented room near Soi Buakhao at the moment. And very nice it is too, thank you. And if I'm burgled the most I will lose is a couple of thousand Baht and some loose change, which isnt even locked away in a safe so no need for anyone to beat me over the head for the combination.

I agree. Why keep 20K in Euros anywa.

Over the past 14 months, the value of the Euro against the Baht has dropped about 8%. Had he changed it into Baht, and had he kept it in a Thai bank he'd have (if he switched back to Euros today) 22k in Euros, (assuming a 2% savings interest rate). Thus he'd be up about 10% in one year. Who wants Euros these days (or US$), I'll take Baht any day in this economic climate.

It does sound like someone knew he kept a lot of cash--it sounds targeted.

Brilliant, let's do currency trading with hindsight, and using this hindsight admonish people for performing badly.

20k Euros at home in the safe? :blink: Is the Majestic Residence a higher end complex? I would be extremely nervous about keeping that amount of cash in the home in any country.

TheWalkingMan

That's not a lot of cash and jewelry. Once decent diamond ring could soon make it up.

The Majestic Residence is in The Cosy Beach area, and not high end. It does have full security with guards and booms.

True, 20,000 Euros is pretty small change. Next we will be hearing "I spend 20,000 Euros every night out..." :whistling: