English Resident And His Thai Wife Seriously Assaulted In South Pattaya House Robbery

Rimmer

Not fair. Implying that Thai wives are venal money grabbers, or Doopelgangers is unfair, and indirectly says there is a lack of morality working here.

My Thai wife of almost twenty years is on all of our security instruments and checking accounts in Hawaii - she has lived in California and Hawaii, I trust her with my life. I don't want to insult anyone here, but painting all Thai women with a wide brush is unfair and a bit racist in content.

The bottom line question here is: Why would and sane expat husband and wife want to live in Pattaya, the Tijuana of Asia?

My wife would not be seen in Pattaya under any circumstance. The same holds true for most Thai women of station and breeding.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That amount of money,and safe contents,would have warranted a Bank Safe Deposit Box,at the very least,

dosn't excuse the thieves,and lack of Security, though,and the possible inside knowledge necessary,to know it was well worth a break in!.

Do you seriously think only 20K of Euros and jewelry should be kept in a band safe deposit box?

Many people who live here would consider that chump change, especially people in the well-to-do Pratumnak Hill area.

Sorry to hear about this.

I have FOUR words to describe my feelings about this crime.

INSIDE JOB FAMILY MEMBER

I hope investigators dont think this just happened. Best of luck to the Farang victim.

Good to hear Pattaya's finest have some leads on the thieves. I hope they find them and, if found guilty in a fair trial, give them maximum - even if the perpetrators happen to be cops.

However, it does sound like the victim may have been a bit loose about mentioning the safe to others and/or his wife may have been in cohoots with the thieves.

two safes, one with a couple of fake watches, some nonsense paperwork, and a token amount of cash, reasonably visible.

second safe with real valuables hidden. Unless an inside job, then they will be satisfied with the token safe. Security 101

YES ! way to go :rolleyes:

You all seem to be missing the point ! It's not about the amount they had stolen it is the way in which it was stolen !!!!!

Who cares whether they had 2,000 or 200!!

I hope they can recover from this Cowardly theft and the Lowlife scum that did it are caught !

Just a shame the security company or provider cannot be held accountable for not doing their jobs.

I also hope they are caught and the punishment meted out is relevant to the crime. If the deterrent was good, the crime level would be reduced. If the police can not take care of long term farang, maybe we should form our own vigilante groupsrolleyes.gif

Well, twenty thousand euros isn't a lot of money, if you have a million & can afford to stupidly lose it during a robbery. It is a lot of money if you only have fifty thousand & like to flash it about a bit.<_<

The Pattaya City Planners forgot one detail

"The Flush Lever"

You're forgetting the flush lavatory.:lol:

Thaigold and Gamini, i agree , why on earth would anybody want to live in Pattaya with its filthy seawater,awful gritty sand beaches, the most boring countryside and nothing but bars and bar girls (prostitutes). I have only been there twice (too many times) first a few years ago when some young guy told me what it was a wonderful place, i lasted 2 days and got the hell out of the dump. The second time when i was travelling from Buri ram to Samui via Utapo thats enough. I do ask persons from time to time, but never get a satisfactory reply. Yes its a dump unless one is sex starved with no little, other interest in life.

I can't understand anyone keeping that amount of cash in a home safe, it seems the thieves may have known something.

It would have been safer to keep the cash in a secret hiding spot within the house and just a small amount of cash in the safe, that way the thieves would have got something and may have left without incident.

Unlikely that will be caught.

Yeah silly of him to put it in the safe, why did he not put it under the matresswhistling.gif

Errrm. Why not a bank? B)

You know what really pisses me off is if he had had a weapon in his home, and had the opportunity to defend himself, he probably would have ended in in jail for assaulting the robbers with a deadly weapon -- in his own home.

That's one thing I really miss about living in the US. If the perps :ph34r: had broke into my home in America, they would have exited my home horizontally.

I know...crazy, gun-loving Americans. But the fact of the matter is that no matter what country your in, their are no policemen hiding in your closet at the ready to rescue you and your loved ones from bad people who break into your home with the intent of doing you and your family bodily harm. It's just that in some countries, you're afforded the opportunity to avoid criminal prosecution should you be put into the situation of having to defend yourself in your own home. Unfortunately, Thailand is not one of those countries. At least not for Farangs. So the only other option is to make you're home into a fortress for your own protection.

But I agree with one of the other posters...inside job? Perhaps family?

Connda, I agree. There are only 2 things I miss, living here; my grand kids, kids, and my small arsenal of hunting and defense weapons. You got that right too,about Gun lovin Americans! Because "an armed society is a polite society" and it works. For all the bad mouthin done about gun ownership in the US, I have noted that most comes from those whose countries have already banned or greatly restricted ownership. The law abiding Thai neighbors and friends I listen to, wish they had America's freedom to choose whether to own or not own guns. I've been here long enough to see that Thai laws restricting guns has not stopped violent crime here. It has only changed the 2 legged predators' choices of weapons, machetes and knives. Ask any surgeon which they would prefer to repair in e.r., bullet wounds in a man, or a man thats been hacked to pieces by a machete.

I truly hope the gentleman makes a full recovery, and his wife is not forever traumatized.

just like the one in my moo bann.ha ha

Personal defensive device is one of the solution. I think they have to pay monthly charge for security and the garbage management. The security company should have made an insurance for them.(or not) This is an example of High End issue that you can't be all sure to live without a proper protective system for yourself in Pattaya. dude...

Yes good idea ! :lol:

Yumandible50540.jpg

Another day and another heartwarming Pattaya Story. My sympathies to the couple.

People may I ask why on earth go and stay in this place? Nothing but tragedy and bad news everyday. The world is laughing at Pattaya and the people there. Thailand is beautiful and full of wonderful people but Pattaya is an anchor wieghing it down into the depth of the abyss

Again i wonder, why they dont hire REAL security guard with shotguns like in south america..

If they dont wanna shoot people for their salary, pay them 15-30k per month. and im sure they'll be gi-joe's patroling and all to keep their job.

Even if the thais dont want to chip in, there's always enough farang willing to drop 2-3 extra K per month for the extra security.

If i was to be dumb enough to buy anything above 3million in thailand, i would hire my own guard for my own house for sure and if anything happens ill cut his balls off for real(will be in contract)

20k Euros at home in the safe? :blink: Is the Majestic Residence a higher end complex? I would be extremely nervous about keeping that amount of cash in the home in any country.

TheWalkingMan

That's not a lot of cash and jewelry. Once decent diamond ring could soon make it up.

The Majestic Residence is in The Cosy Beach area, and not high end. It does have full security with guards and booms.

that's such a stupid response sorry, 20k euro's IS a lot in thailand, as for diamond rings who cares, spare a thought for the poor bloke that got beaten...

Another day and another heartwarming Pattaya Story. My sympathies to the couple.

People may I ask why on earth go and stay in this place? Nothing but tragedy and bad news everyday. The world is laughing at Pattaya and the people there. Thailand is beautiful and full of wonderful people but Pattaya is an anchor wieghing it down into the depth of the abyss

Couldn't agree more, Pattaya is disgusting, lol at high end property in place like that amyway, it just attracts the scum of the earth.

Phuket is becomining similar.

Again i wonder, why they dont hire REAL security guard with shotguns like in south america..

If they dont wanna shoot people for their salary, pay them 15-30k per month. and im sure they'll be gi-joe's patroling and all to keep their job.

Even if the thais dont want to chip in, there's always enough farang willing to drop 2-3 extra K per month for the extra security.

If i was to be dumb enough to buy anything above 3million in thailand, i would hire my own guard for my own house for sure and if anything happens ill cut his balls off for real(will be in contract)

I'm afraid they'd want to shoot people for free...... Or worse use them to rob you with :( ...

Do you seriously think only 20K of Euros and jewelry should be kept in a band safe deposit box?

Many people who live here would consider that chump change, especially people in the well-to-do Pratumnak Hill area.

If 20K Euros isnt worth the trouble of putting into a bank then they shouldnt be too bothered if they lose it, should they? To show solidarity I will also try not to be too bothered about them losing it.

Personally I take the trouble to put all my money in the bank, where it belongs, and as a result will probably never have to experience losing it. Which suits me fine.

Maybe not to you, but I doubt someone who is quite likely to take 12 and a half years to earn that would agree with you.

Using your reasoning, 40 baht is a lot of money.

Let's keep this relative, they were staying in a residence probably valued over 10 million baht.

It maybe a lot of money for them to carry around in their back pockets, but it's not a lot to keep locked up in a safe in a supposedly secure residence with security guards.

If there wasn't any money in the safe at the time they may have been in more serious danger.

Edited by tropo

According to the article, the robbers asked where the safe was. This would seem to be a clear indication that they knew there was in fact a safe.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of the condos I have looked at have a safe fitted in the wardrobe. It seems reasonable that many houses might have them also.

Do you seriously think only 20K of Euros and jewelry should be kept in a bank safe deposit box?

If 20K Euros isnt worth the trouble of putting into a bank then they shouldnt be too bothered if they lose it, should they?

Who says they were heart broken over losing the money? I didn't see that in the report. The report make a big deal about the amount of cash for dramatic effect to shock people like you who feel it's a lot of money.

Let's keep this relative, they were staying in a residence probably valued over 10 million baht. It .... (20K Euros).... was chump change.

Hmm. 20K Euros is nearly 1 million Baht, or 10% of the value of a 10 million Baht house. Is 10% of the value of your house really small change that you might just have lying around? I dont think so.

Anyone who considers 1MBaht to be small change would probably be living somewhere a hell of a lot nicer than Pratumnak. Pattaya is generally considered to be a cheap destination, after all, not a quality one.

If 20K Euros isnt worth the trouble of putting into a bank then they shouldnt be too bothered if they lose it, should they?

Who says they were heart broken over losing the money? I didn't see that in the report. The report make a big deal about the amount of cash for dramatic effect to shock people like you who feel it's a lot of money.

Hmm. If I wasnt bothered about losing something then I wouldnt need to be hit on the head before telling burglars where it was hidden. So I suppose that they were bothered about it.

Hmm. If I wasnt bothered about losing something then I wouldnt need to be hit on the head before telling burglars where it was hidden. So I suppose that they were bothered about it.

Perhaps they would have thought the same if the outcome was known, as it is with you. They didn't have the benefit of hindsight, did they.

Also, you're assuming this report is accurate. Maybe they were asking for more and got nasty then.

Yes, I am assuming the report was accurate. I have little choice if there is going to be any discussion at all.

But it doesnt make a lot of difference whether they thought the sum was large or trifling, as I was responding to comments here about how they perceived the sum.

Based on the information we have they clearly thought that the sum was large enough to hide in a safe and also not hand over instantly, which is the opposite of what is being suggested by some in here. The comparison between the value of the money and the probable value of the house would also make it likely that they considered it worth locking away.

Unike them, the money I have I do leave lying around, because it is a piddling amount. I wouldnt lock it away even if I had a safe, and anyone who broke in wanting it would only have to pick it up off the table and take it. And I wouldnt be at all bothered. And if anyone asked me to open my safe I would do so immediately, if I had one, because it would be empty anyway. That's the difference between someone who has an amount of cash that they consider to be small change and someone who has an amount of cash that means something to them.

Yes, I am assuming the report was accurate. I have little choice if there is going to be any discussion at all.

But it doesnt make a lot of difference whether they thought the sum was large or trifling, as I was responding to comments here about how they perceived the sum.

Based on the information we have they clearly thought that the sum was large enough to hide in a safe and also not hand over instantly, which is the opposite of what is being suggested by some in here. The comparison between the value of the money and the probable value of the house would also make it likely that they considered it worth locking away.

Unike them, the money I have I do leave lying around, because it is a piddling amount. I wouldnt lock it away even if I had a safe, and anyone who broke in wanting it would only have to pick it up off the table and take it. And I wouldnt be at all bothered. And if anyone asked me to open my safe I would do so immediately, if I had one, because it would be empty anyway. That's the difference between someone who has an amount of cash that they consider to be small change and someone who has an amount of cash that means something to them.

I keep money and jewelry in a safe. I don't consider 20K Euro over the top to place in a good safe in a secure house in a secure housing estate.

Obviously we'll have to agree to disagree here as this is going nowhere.

Edited by tropo