English Resident And His Thai Wife Seriously Assaulted In South Pattaya House Robbery

Rimmer

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These sort of crimes are dramatically increasing in and around Pattaya. I had my property broken into not long ago, fortunately no-one was injured, but it could have quite easily gone like the story above. Best decision I ever made was to move away from Pattaya.

I would say someone employed within the Complex involved with the robbers, guards etc. The victim more than likely liked to flaunt his wealth for all to see.

What are you on?

What about utterly condemning the scum who did this?

Or perhaps there's an element on TV who secretly like it when 'rich farang' get stolen from by 'poor' criminals... :rolleyes:

Condeming the criminals goes without saying. The point of the post was infact to highlight that you can limit your chances against becoming an easy target by NOT flaunting your wealth, IF that was the case. Does this explain things any easier for you?

We can own a dozen well trained attack dogs...10 machetes...50 steak knives...a bow and a million arrows...a blow torch...a hose that sprays poison...BUT...WE CANNOT OWN A GUN!!!

If they have a gun and 3 people...they will win.

Just another way LOS stacks the deck against all farang!

PS. Never hire a guard...That ensures an inside job.

We can own a dozen well trained attack dogs...10 machetes...50 steak knives...a bow and a million arrows...a blow torch...a hose that sprays poison...BUT...WE CANNOT OWN A GUN!!!

If they have a gun and 3 people...they will win.

Just another way LOS stacks the deck against all farang!

PS. Never hire a guard...That ensures an inside job.

Aren't you being a tad over dramatic. Your Thai wife can own a gun. If you're not married to a Thai, then too bad - you can't expect a country to allow all foreigners to own handguns.

so there are people in pattaya who think nothing of keeping 20,000 euros in the house?

and same said persons also like to wear diamond jewelry and rolexes?

well... what goes around comes around...

Get this into perspective. A safe is not a safe and the safety thereof depends on many factors. These people were under the impression that their safe was safe being in an upper market housing estate with paid security. Obviously in hindsight they were wrong, but I'm sure this is the first time this type of robbery has ever taken place in this estate.

Some people were calling them foolish. That would be like calling people who fly in airplanes fools because they sometimes fall from the sky.

If a person gave me 20,000 Euros cash, I would not necessary run down to the bank and change it into Thai baht. I would watch the market and keep it in my safe until I can get the best possible exchange rate. Perhaps the couple were waiting to do a business transaction in Euro.

Thailand is not England or the US where people are scared to walk around with cash and everything is plastic. This is a cash country where people routinely walk around doing business deals in cash. One of the most popular ways of investing in Thailand is buying gold. Where would these safe-paranoid people recommend people store large amounts of gold which is virtually cash?

I feel sorry for the couple who were bashed and robbed, but I certainly wouldn't be calling them foolish. They were very unfortunate and as a result the whole of Majestic Residence Estate will have improved security from here on in.

Shit happens and then you die. You cannot insure against every possible mishap.

Edited by tropo

so there are people in pattaya who think nothing of keeping 20,000 euros in the house?

and same said persons also like to wear diamond jewelry and rolexes?

well... what goes around comes around...

It sounds like you're envious of people who can afford to buy diamonds and Rolexes. Have a look around Pattaya. There are jewelry and gold stores on just about every street.

If you ever had a girlfriend or wife you should understand that nearly all females adore gold, diamonds and other assorted jewelry. This hasn't changed for thousands of years.

If you do have a wife or girlfriend, I pity them.

Where is the follow up to this story?

Why does Pattaya One always drop the ball?

I don't think they always 'drop the ball' There is one update HERE If they have something they always will put it up and I will always update the thread.

An armed society is a polite society?! Try telling that to the parents and families of the school kids who seem to get gunned down by nutters in America on what seems to be a weekly basis over the past few years. No wonder America is the laughing stock of the world with that kind of logic.

An armed society is a polite society?! Try telling that to the parents and families of the school kids who seem to get gunned down by nutters in America on what seems to be a weekly basis over the past few years. No wonder America is the laughing stock of the world with that kind of logic.

Switzerland has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world, yet has one of the lowest 'killing by firearms' rates; sorry to come over all Michael Moore.<_<

America is a very diverse collection of populations, so much so that it can barely be defined as a country. There are the Palin supporting, gun toting maniacs in some of the southern states & huge ghettos full of disillusioned Black & Hispanic communities dotted around major cities. How would you convince young black men in 'The Bronx', who have been brought up to believe 'get out of life what you can, because you'll either be dead or on death row by age 25', how to change?:blink:

Rant over. BTW not to tar all black people from The Bronx with the same brush; Chris Rock explains it better that I ever could here:

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic racist video removed

20k Euros at home in the safe? :blink: Is the Majestic Residence a higher end complex? I would be extremely nervous about keeping that amount of cash in the home in any country.

TheWalkingMan

That's not a lot of cash and jewelry. Once decent diamond ring could soon make it up.

The Majestic Residence is in The Cosy Beach area, and not high end. It does have full security with guards and booms.

You don't know what you are talking about...There are very expensive homes in Magestic Residence...1 being in the 700mill baht range...others in the 50-80 mill baht range

You must be dreaming. You can rent houses there in the 40,000 THB/month. Please show me some details of this 700 million baht house, and the 50 - 80 million ones too. If the victims were living in houses that expensive 20K Euro would have been peanuts.

If you drive into Majestic Res and go down to the end of the road, there is the huge house on the water. I have been in it and its amazing. There are other houses on the water that are very large as well. All of the private homes are past the attached villas.

If you drive into Majestic Res and go down to the end of the road, there is the huge house on the water. I have been in it and its amazing. There are other houses on the water that are very large as well. All of the private homes are past the attached villas.

OK, so what we really need to know in order to solve this debate is the approximate value of the house in which the robbed couple lived. That will give us a better idea of how devastating the loss of 20K Euro would be.

OK, so what we really need to know in order to solve this debate is the approximate value of the house in which the robbed couple lived. That will give us a better idea of how devastating the loss of 20K Euro would be.

Surely the most important point of this sad news item is that a 62 year old man received serious head injuries when his house was being burgled. Most of the posters seem to want to turn it into a bragging session about 20,000 euro's being a piffling amount of money, and speculation about how much the poor man's property is worth. It is totally irrelevant in the context of the original story. What is it with this obsession about other peoples financial worth? As a wise man once said, "Most people know the price of everything and the value of nothing".

Surely the most important point of this sad news item is that a 62 year old man received serious head injuries when his house was being burgled. Most of the posters seem to want to turn it into a bragging session about 20,000 euro's being a piffling amount of money, and speculation about how much the poor man's property is worth. It is totally irrelevant in the context of the original story. What is it with this obsession about other peoples financial worth? As a wise man once said, "Most people know the price of everything and the value of nothing".

The perceived value of the haul is very relevant to this thread.

If you had been paying attention you would have understood why this debate started. It started when many posters started labelling the unfortunate couple as fools for keeping such a large amount of money in the safe and this was the reason why they were robbed.

Personally I think the robbers would have been disappointed with their haul.

Not fair. Implying that Thai wives are venal money grabbers, or Doopelgangers is unfair, and indirectly says there is a lack of morality working here.

My Thai wife of almost twenty years is on all of our security instruments and checking accounts in Hawaii - she has lived in California and Hawaii, I trust her with my life. I don't want to insult anyone here, but painting all Thai women with a wide brush is unfair and a bit racist in content.

The bottom line question here is: Why would and sane expat husband and wife want to live in Pattaya, the Tijuana of Asia?

My wife would not be seen in Pattaya under any circumstance. The same holds true for most Thai women of station and breeding.

Your post is inflammatory and troll typical. Further it denigrates many good oeople living in this community. It is a documented fact that Tijuana police rob and rape american tourists including a state senators wife while in jail. Probably why most of them were relieved of their weapons and duties, A member of the royal family was here recently. Is that stature and breeding enough? Posters here should be able to debate their opinions within the forum guidelines. The Mod's do a great job here but i think your post flew under their radar.

You all seem to be missing the point ! It's not about the amount they had stolen it is the way in which it was stolen !!!!!

Who cares whether they had 2,000 or 200!!

I hope they can recover from this Cowardly theft and the Lowlife scum that did it are caught !

Couldn't have said it better

If you had been paying attention you would have understood why this debate started. It started when many posters started labelling the unfortunate couple as fools for keeping such a large amount of money in the safe and this was the reason why they were robbed.

If i had been paying attention? A touch arrogant dont you think? I dont think anybody labelled the victims of this robbery as fools. The origional story was about an unfortunate man who received serious head injuries during a robbery at his house. You are obviously not in the least bit concerned about this. All of your posts have been about whether or not 20,000 baht is a fair amount of money. Plus diamond jewellrey, gold, and a 'presumably', real rolex watch. Probably at least 30,000 euros in total.Ok, i will bite. What would you 'personally' consider a reasonable amount for the average thai burglar to have not been'disappointed' with their haul? Whose side are you on?

If i had been paying attention? A touch arrogant dont you think? I dont think anybody labelled the victims of this robbery as fools.

Now we're certain you weren't paying attention. Many posters considered the victims were idiots for keep such a "large" sum of money in their safe.

Edited by tropo

20k Euros at home in the safe? :blink: Is the Majestic Residence a higher end complex? I would be extremely nervous about keeping that amount of cash in the home in any country.

TheWalkingMan

it's not the amount of cash as 20k in 500 euro notes can be well hidden, it's who knew he was holding that amount :(

majestic residence was touted as a high end estate and they certainly charged plenty for the land, i'd be gutted if I had purchased in there to be fair :whistling:

maybe the wife was in on it and it was planned O.O

i find these type of comments sad as makes people think that all thai women are the same and only there for some other reason then they love there other half he 62 she 52 if she was say 25 i say maybe there is a bit truth in it what has happen to trust in thai women p.s maybe to many farangs got bittin well stupid they where then check the goods before you buy or walk before you run but stop judgeing the book by the covers

• 1 month later...

You know what really pisses me off is if he had had a weapon in his home, and had the opportunity to defend himself, he probably would have ended in in jail for assaulting the robbers with a deadly weapon -- in his own home.

That's one thing I really miss about living in the US. If the perps :ph34r: had broke into my home in America, they would have exited my home horizontally.

I know...crazy, gun-loving Americans. But the fact of the matter is that no matter what country your in, their are no policemen hiding in your closet at the ready to rescue you and your loved ones from bad people who break into your home with the intent of doing you and your family bodily harm. It's just that in some countries, you're afforded the opportunity to avoid criminal prosecution should you be put into the situation of having to defend yourself in your own home. Unfortunately, Thailand is not one of those countries. At least not for Farangs. So the only other option is to make you're home into a fortress for your own protection.

But I agree with one of the other posters...inside job? Perhaps family?

You can have an arsenal in your house but if criminals break in to your house undected and catch you by surprise while you are sleeping, all the guns you have in your house will do you no good. In order for guns in your home to be effective you to have a motion dection system to give you advanced notice of a potential burglary. This will give you time to procure your weapon and defend yourself. In this case, this couple was caught by surprise and they would not have had an opportunity to procure their fire arm.