Similan Islands

jackinbkk

Has anyone taken any fishing trips out towards the Similan Islands recently?

I saw a really good show about jigging which I think was in Taiwanese (the hardcore jiggers) .

They met up with a crew in Thailand, went across the border to Myanmar and sailed about 100km east. In another video they were jigging at Similan Islands and getting some nice GTs.

Amazing fish. These 5 to 10kg GTs pull harder than freshwater fish 5 times their size.

There was also some very nice yellowfin Tuna. One dog tooth tuna looked to be massive. I don't know much about the weight of Tuna but it could be 70kgs?

I've done the crappy fishing tours for tourists where you end up catching a 2kg tuna on 130lb class marlin tackle. Wont be doing that again.

I've also gone on a few boats but always found the fishing to be barron. Fishing from the shore around Phuket is extremely difficult.

So has anyone had any good sized hard fighting saltwater fish?

Here's a clip with that massive tuna:

http://img843.imageshack.us/i/nyl.mp4/

Clip GT's at Similan with a great Thai soundtrack :D:

http://img375.imageshack.us/i/plo.mp4/

Tight Lines

-Jack

These guys probably had the YFT & DTT at Burma Banks long way off shore with no cover if the weather kicks up, so only Feb - March, there is jigging to be had in the Similan islands with a surprising amount of fish but you need to be good at it and be able to speed jig all day long in the blistering heat, not many people can do this, the people in the TV programs are pro's and used to it.

Fishing in Phuket is best August - December last year we had a big Sailfish run, i caught 6 in 2 hours one day and had many triple hookups.