Day Rides, Chiang Rai Bikers

kandahar

If the 24th holds, I would like to take part. For me the only issue is finding where to meet up. Common names with GSP I can find. I would come into CR from 30K up the old Chiang Mai road then north to Mai Sai and then I am at the mercy of the GPS.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today would have been a lovely day for a ride. ;)

Are you in the same part of the country or still tripping on meds??

Today would have been another beautiful day for a ride and I'm still on the same cold meds. ;)

Well it is still cold, wet and sh***y here and I am not into that sort of masochism. Enjoy!

If the 24th holds, I would like to take part. For me the only issue is finding where to meet up. Common names with GSP I can find. I would come into CR from 30K up the old Chiang Mai road then north to Mai Sai and then I am at the mercy of the GPS.

Don't want to be heading to mai sai McDonnaSan , We'll give you directions from CR nearer the time. the quickest route is 106k from central CR. two hours or less or less than 30 mins on a Super Bike :(

Edited by jubby

Don't want to be heading to mai sai McDonnaSan , We'll give you directions from CR nearer the time. the quickest route is 106k from central CR. two hours or less or less than 30 mins on a Super Bike :(

Maybe Mac would be better off meeting up with the guys in CR, Kd maybe take him under his wing.

Still only 4 for sure (me you Raylo Kd and Mac) soz thats 5 init :annoyed: , is it a good idea to close this ride on Mon 22nd, if we don't have anymore takers then the 5 of us can say yeah or na ?.

My M8 Berth has just called and said he would be up for it so thats 6, (we're getting there) anyways we will wait n see.

Off topic a bit!!!!!!! telly is crap so maybe it's time to talk to the man in CK ?, Hey fkn HO.

Today would have been a lovely day for a ride. ;)

Well this morning was certainly a Good Day for a Ride. Visual Clarity better than I can ever remember.

Zero smoke in the atmosphere and even that plastic Garbage dump that has been smouldering for months out in the Countryside lay dormant (atleast for a few days).

Although now it looks like Rain again

Maybe Mac would be better off meeting up with the guys in CR, Kd maybe take him under his wing.

Still only 4 for sure (me you Raylo Kd and Mac) soz thats 5 init :annoyed: , is it a good idea to close this ride on Mon 22nd, if we don't have anymore takers then the 5 of us can say yeah or na ?.

My M8 Berth has just called and said he would be up for it so thats 6, (we're getting there) anyways we will wait n see.

Off topic a bit!!!!!!! telly is crap so maybe it's time to talk to the man in CK ?, Hey fkn HO.

I can slot in #22 as well so just give us advance notice of a quorum and we can blatt

Jubby: Stop brown nosing. Big brother will give you a warning like last time

I suspect my wife won't be going along on this one. That is a long time to spend on the back seat of a motorcycle.

Looking forward to the ride. I hope it doesn't rain.

Still planning on going to CK the day before and getting settled early.

I suspect my wife won't be going along on this one. That is a long time to spend on the back seat of a motorcycle.

At the moment we are two up as usual. Maybe 3 with the dog.

Anyone out in the ether can confirm a day??

I can slot in #22 as well so just give us advance notice of a quorum and we can blatt

Jubby: Stop brown nosing. Big brother will give you a warning like last time

I went for a Ride this morning and you call it brown nosing !? ..... Its amazing how we, the Brits, Aussies and Yanks (sorry southerners) speak the same language but it means something completely different :D

I don't have a Big Brother and I didn't get a warning !? or did I ? :unsure:

Ok 24th it is then, AGREED ?.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

OK I will have the 24th tatooed.

See you then. In the meantime I will look out for any

proposed meeting places. BUT:

Will come through Thoeng and if VF decides to go will

come through his neck of the woods. It is a back way and I know that turns a few of you

on but think of the ride.

Whoops - double entendre.

Ok guys just a gentle hint we have been doing the same sort of thing for about seven years in Udon. Sit up place to meet and time, a general idea of a ride plan. The people who are meant to be on that ride will be there.

If you try to get prior commitments from people your more then likely won't get out the gate. We have a rule of thumb here the guy who calls the ride picks something he believes he can share with others and have a good time.

The the other riders just see if they can fit it in. The last ride I was on only had four guys on it, with over seventy invited, Didn't really matter the four of us had a great time.

Normally our rides are 400 to 500 Klms in a day, which is not leisurely day, that is pretty hard riding. But, I also enjoy the same kind of ride you guys do, if I want one I will sit up and invite the other guys. Who shows up would be the people who wanted to be on that ride. Truth is I would do the ride alone if no one showed up. But, I have never had that happen.

Remember guys have fun with this. Just keep plugging along and you will see new faces after awhile.

Ok guys just a gentle hint we have been doing the same sort of thing for about seven years in Udon. Sit up place to meet and time, a general idea of a ride plan. The people who are meant to be on that ride will be there.

If you try to get prior commitments from people your more then likely won't get out the gate. We have a rule of thumb here the guy who calls the ride picks something he believes he can share with others and have a good time.

The the other riders just see if they can fit it in. The last ride I was on only had four guys on it, with over seventy invited, Didn't really matter the four of us had a great time.

Normally our rides are 400 to 500 Klms in a day, which is not leisurely day, that is pretty hard riding. But, I also enjoy the same kind of ride you guys do, if I want one I will sit up and invite the other guys. Who shows up would be the people who wanted to be on that ride. Truth is I would do the ride alone if no one showed up. But, I have never had that happen.

Remember guys have fun with this. Just keep plugging along and you will see new faces after awhile.

Thanks for your comments Ray.:) .

If there is a meeting location, I can check distance/time and decide an overnight or day trip. Haven't put more then distance Chiang Mai to CR on my butt so far on this bike, but think I can handle an hour to 2 at a go. I forgot my "super bike" at the cleaners, so will bring my "what to be" bike along. Speaking with KD I think we ride the same, slow and easy with lots of "look see!!" stuff. At my age now, a ride is "30% bike" and 70% look and see.

Okay we have unanswered accommodation requests. What about exact location and time to meet? Multiple meeting points does not sound like a good idea to me.

What roads are best for those coming from town, the 1173, the 1174 or the 1152? How is the 1020 these days and should people take the 1174 instead?

If the start point is in Chiang Khong then I assume we will be heading back down the 1020 and turning left onto the 1155 and finally turning left onto the 4029 up to Pha Tang.

If anyone is coming on the 1174 and needs a break about halfway, they could stop by our place as we are 11k out of Phaya Mengrai on the left, about 50k from Chiang Khong.

Okay we have unanswered accommodation requests. What about exact location and time to meet? Multiple meeting points does not sound like a good idea to me.

What roads are best for those coming from town, the 1173, the 1174 or the 1152? How is the 1020 these days and should people take the 1174 instead?

If the start point is in Chiang Khong then I assume we will be heading back down the 1020 and turning left onto the 1155 and finally turning left onto the 4029 up to Pha Tang.

If anyone is coming on the 1174 and needs a break about halfway, they could stop by our place as we are 11k out of Phaya Mengrai on the left, about 50k from Chiang Khong.

not got my Map infront of me but i'll guess the 1020 is the road from Thoeng to Chiang Khong. It was getting better but with the rain I would give it a miss unless its the most convenient route.

The other routes from Town to CK. are similar in distance , 10 k different maybe. I guess it depends wether someone wants to take an alternative route to the one they have used before. VF's place is conveniently placed roughly halfway , so thats the way I would go.

Kd. has done VF's route almost, if he's not aware, atleast within 5-10 kms of his place.

So correct me if I am wrong (like no one would :whistling: ), we meet up CK (ferry crossing to Laos town), then proceed up along Laos border, through Chiang Saen and then?? Cross and gamble in Laos?????? Just kidding. If it wasn't for my bad luck, would have any luck at all. The trip back is through Mae Sai or head south before there?

So correct me if I am wrong (like no one would :whistling: ), we meet up CK (ferry crossing to Laos town), then proceed up along Laos border, through Chiang Saen and then?? Cross and gamble in Laos?????? Just kidding. If it wasn't for my bad luck, would have any luck at all. The trip back is through Mae Sai or head south before there?

No where near Mae Sai, heading East not North. Look for Thoeng, Phaya Mengrai and Chiang Khong on your GPS. Those should give you an idea of direction.

I just did a run from my place, to just before Chiang Khong, where the 1174 meets the 1020. It was 46k of very easy roads and doesn’t turn into dirt until the last 100 meters or so. Looked a little messy from there on so just turned around and enjoyed the ride home.

Good signs in English so not easy to get lost. Where the 1020 hugs the mountains the 1174 parallels that route but is much further out into the valley. Very fast in some areas with little traffic. :)

Looks like woralak's place was decided for the meeting place in CK. Still need one for the guys who live in town and are going to meet up here for the trip over to CK.

If anyone is going up a day early, they can go along with me if they want to. Meet at the big PTT and coffee shop before the Big C, heading towards Chiang Mai. If anyone chooses that, let me know and I'll work with you on a leave time for the 23rd. But going over there on my own is no big deal.

Several routes over to CK but the wife and I found the 1174 to be a good choice for us. I haven't paid any attention to the route once we leave woralak's place. Will study that the night of the 23rd.

Looks like a bit of a later start from woralak's place so I'll get to sleep in a bit on that day. Probably need to nail down a start time for the trip from woralak's place.

Iv'e been out and about this afternoon (yes VF i do sometimes leave the house) so thats why there has been unanswered accommondation requests.

Ok accommondation:: thats always a bug bear there are to many to give prices for, Question:: What are you looking for. Answer:: We have it, prices from 200Baht to 1200 Baht, there's no shortage give me a bell when you hit town and i'll show you (0871833368), we even have one with a pool, Kd stayed there last time (about 600 Baht).

Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong:: I always use 1173 (turn opposite Isuzu dealers) go through Wiang Chai-Wiang Kaeo-Pa Ha- Mae Bong turn right and go on the 1098 to Kaen Nua turn left onto the 1174 stay on the 1174 passing, Ban Wai-Mai Chedi Khia-Ban Fan, turn left onto the 1020 at the T jun, Chiang Khong is about 3Km, I'm sure others will have different ways they know, but this way keeps you

away from the roadworks, your choice ;) ,if you take this route when you reach the 1020 look opposite slightly to your right you will see a small road, thats the road we will be taking on the trip to Doi Pha Tang, it's the back road to Wiang Kaen (1155), we are meeting someone in Wiang Kean at 9am on the 24th and then on to meet Raylo (not confirmed), so i would like to leave CK/my place at 8am (not confirmed) if 8am is to early say so, i,m just thinking of the guys who wanna get back to CR after the trip.

If there's anything i can do to help please call me, if there's anything iv'e missed on this post please reply, with your thoughts (keep it clean please):) .

Iv'e been out and about this afternoon (yes VF i do sometimes leave the house) so thats why there has been unanswered accommondation requests.

Ok accommondation:: thats always a bug bear there are to many to give prices for, Question:: What are you looking for. Answer:: We have it, prices from 200Baht to 1200 Baht, there's no shortage give me a bell when you hit town and i'll show you (0871833368), we even have one with a pool, Kd stayed there last time (about 600 Baht).

Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong:: I always use 1173 (turn opposite Isuzu dealers) go through Wiang Chai-Wiang Kaeo-Pa Ha- Mae Bong turn right and go on the 1098 to Kaen Nua turn left onto the 1174 stay on the 1174 passing, Ban Wai-Mai Chedi Khia-Ban Fan, turn left onto the 1020 at the T jun, Chiang Khong is about 3Km, I'm sure others will have different ways they know, but this way keeps you

away from the roadworks, your choice ;) ,if you take this route when you reach the 1020 look opposite slightly to your right you will see a small road, thats the road we will be taking on the trip to Doi Pha Tang, it's the back road to Wiang Kaen (1155), we are meeting someone in Wiang Kean at 9am on the 24th and then on to meet Raylo (not confirmed), so i would like to leave CK/my place at 8am (not confirmed) if 8am is to early say so, i,m just thinking of the guys who wanna get back to CR after the trip.

If there's anything i can do to help please call me, if there's anything iv'e missed on this post please reply, with your thoughts (keep it clean please):) .

Ok now I am confused. Yes I know normal state for me. Chaos theory and all that!

I thought it was get to Chiang Khong and have a scenic ride around the area with a lunch somewhere in the vicinity? I am 90km from Chiang Khong so if I get the concept proposed here correctly it makes a hell of a long ride for some people where the consensus is short scenic, lots of stops, Am I correct in my reasoning and understanding or do I have it all effed up as usual??

My plan was to meet at VF's with his permission and forbearance, at a sensible time, then follow him to Worzels for the above scenario. Not a big ride for Worzel as such but we can make that up to him easily enough when it is someone elses turn??

Please set me straight ASAP

Ok now I am confused. Yes I know normal state for me. Chaos theory and all that!

I thought it was get to Chiang Khong and have a scenic ride around the area with a lunch somewhere in the vicinity? I am 90km from Chiang Khong so if I get the concept proposed here correctly it makes a hell of a long ride for some people where the consensus is short scenic, lots of stops, Am I correct in my reasoning and understanding or do I have it all effed up as usual??

My plan was to meet at VF's with his permission and forbearance, at a sensible time, then follow him to Worzels for the above scenario. Not a big ride for Worzel as such but we can make that up to him easily enough when it is someone elses turn??

Please set me straight ASAP

If thats your plan stick to it by all means, i only gave guide lines as requested, we just have to have some common ground, meet my place is kewl,iv'e said it before twice or more times anyone who wants to meet here and have a cuppa before take off is welcome, for those that want an over nighter give me a bell and i'll take them to whatever accommondation they want, the route is not laid in stone it's up to them that want to follow these directions.

As far as me not having far to go thats also fine be me, i was only there last week, i was asked to suggest a trip around this neck of the woods so i went last week and did a recce, if anyone else is confused, check back to what has been said before and then write your own feelings, if you agree or disagree, this has been thrown around for a week now so come on lets have some feedback and put an end to this confusion.

For me, meeting at your place and then proceeding is good. And the route you checked out last week when you bought the strawberries is good for me. I can tell you all, when we hit the southernmost portion of the ride, I'll start working my way back northeast and towards home. I suspect several of us will. Still enough to see even as we cross the mountain ranges on the way home. I won't be returning to CK after the ride.

From your place to the southernmost point isn't a big ride for you, as Ray says, but with that added to my leisurely ride home, it will be a full day for me. With all the visiting and picture taking, it will still be a full day for those who live in that area.

So, we have a route (CK south to Doi Pha Tang and then maybe a loop east and north for the return), a meeting place (Woralak's), a time (08:00), a date (24th).

Just need some good directions to Woralak's house and someone to throw in a rickety bridge for Ray and we're set..

For me, meeting at your place and then proceeding is good. And the route you checked out last week when you bought the strawberries is good for me. I can tell you all, when we hit the southernmost portion of the ride, I'll start working my way back northeast and towards home. I suspect several of us will. Still enough to see even as we cross the mountain ranges on the way home. I won't be returning to CK after the ride.

From your place to the southernmost point isn't a big ride for you, as Ray says, but with that added to my leisurely ride home, it will be a full day for me. With all the visiting and picture taking, it will still be a full day for those who live in that area.

So, we have a route (CK south to Doi Pha Tang and then maybe a loop east and north for the return), a meeting place (Woralak's), a time (08:00), a date (24th).

Just need some good directions to Woralak's house and someone to throw in a rickety bridge for Ray and we're set..

Thanks for the bridge scenario you're all heart. As they say may all your chickens turn into Emu's (Ostriches) and kick your shit house down.

So if we are only doing the short Worzel surveyed journey do we need to leave Worzels at 0800?? Logistically speaking that means I need to leave at 0600 or so if I go via VF's and I was told he does not get up before 0830 - 0900 so I dont want to find out if he sleeps au natural or with a teddy bear etc.

Compassion please.

PS The strawberries have merit

Thanks for the bridge scenario you're all heart. As they say may all your chickens turn into Emu's (Ostriches) and kick your shit house down.

So if we are only doing the short Worzel surveyed journey do we need to leave Worzels at 0800?? Logistically speaking that means I need to leave at 0600 or so if I go via VF's and I was told he does not get up before 0830 - 0900 so I dont want to find out if he sleeps au natural or with a teddy bear etc.

Compassion please.

yeah. 08:00 is pushing it hard for CR guys who don't go up the day before.

Emu's are not Ostriches. I have raised Emu's before. Nice birds. They don't kick. They can't kick behind themselves. If frightened, they can raise their foot above your head and rake your face off if you happen to be standing in front of them. Ostriches are much more moody. And they can kick. Maybe ostriches should be a part of that saying.

Checking the map for bridges right now. Will let you know.

Somehow, it figures that how VF sleeps would be of interest to you.

I think 10am from Worzels would be a good compromise. although I do think evryone should get out at 6am occasionally. The dogs have already moved off the yellow line; the insect bloom has already passed; and you get to see the Sunrise

Compassion please.

Include me in the compassion as well. I was tenatively looking at a blood circulation stop at VF's as well and I may crash and burn if I start at 6 or before B)