Funny Visa Story

Just had to relate this: I apply for a one year visa at Samui, and am required to go back every month to check on its progress as it is processed in Bangkok. I had asked one of my friendly Immigration officers a few months ago if the date fell on a Saturday or Sunday was it alright to come in Monday as we were quite busy at that time and he had told me "No problem". So, my check in date was for last Saturday but as we were having a really strong monsoon this past week, the waves were huge on Friday and the boats to Samui weren't running. I go on Monday. Grumpy white-haired guy behind the counter (see a previous posting in farang girls in thailand by me and Boo for more on this lovely example of Thai smiles!) starts yelling at me, "You are 3 days late, you should have come in on Friday..blah blah blah". I tell him the boats weren't running because of big waves and his boss (the lady who signs out on my visa and is quite friendly with me) says, " You should have swam here instead" laughing. Well, that shut Mr Grumpy up! Made me wish I had laughed last month when his chair broke!

It continues; I ask if I can do my 90 day check in by fax since I don't live on Samui (and had been told I could 2 years ago) and Mr. Grumpy says "No way, you have to come in here" then one of the friendly immigration officers tells me later, "We are coming to Koh Phangan two times a month now, you can do your 90 day check in then" HMMPH!!

Is there someplace to complain (anonymously mind you!) about rude Immigration officials? :o

Nice to see this guy get his comeuppance, and by his colleagues too! :D

registered mail, really?

As for the Thai citizenship, first we have to find someone in this province who knows how to do it! No one we contacted before knew whose job it was. My husband is hopefully going to Surat on Friday and will try again. This time with the phone number of the correct dept in bangkok, if need be he will call them from the police stn in Surat Thani. I don't know, I am not feeling hopeful about this at all, no one seems to know how to do their job down here and apparently we cannot apply in Bangkok. If they still seem clueless on Friday I will be posting again asking for recommendations!