Suvarnabhumi Named Fifth Best Airport

webfact

All those that don't like BKK get on a flight to Manila, when you return you will kiss the ground.

Can't hold a candle to Zia International Airport; Dhaka, Bangladesh :cheesy:

Been to karachi-Calcutta lately ?? The longest I've ever held my breath in toilet areas :bah: But Immigration quick

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still only disagree about prices ... which by the way I was not originally comparing the airport price to local prices but airport to airport prices where I still believe BKK is going to be the overall lowest compared to the others on this list. As for US prices, not going to get into the cost of a hot dog in Chicago, but it is very well understood you will pay considerably more for goods and services in an airport than outside one in the US. I don't make a habit of comparing food prices this way as I just accept prices are higher but having spend many a day stuck at LAX I can tell you that the prices there are often 50% to twice as much as outside and I am not talking in general terms for a burger but in terms of chains operating inside the airport such as McDonalds. I've eaten at ORD a number of times (love Chi Pizza) and never noticed the prices not being what is considered typical inflated airport prices and would be surprised if they were the same as outside the airport given the costs associated with having a shop in an airport of this size ... but again never have thoughtfully compared and just accept I will pay more at the airports over the local prices.

OK, we will just have to disagree for now. But the fact is that most US airports regulate the prices so that restaurants cannot charge more at the airport than they do in town. It is part to the lease agreement. THey don't have to do the specials they offer in town, but they can't charge more. For example, Brothers Burgers as Dulles cost the exact same as downtown. (Of course, the $2 bottles of water don't seem to be regulated).

I forgot to mention Dubai, earlier. THey have a Cold Stone Creamery there which charges less than in the US, and they also have a very reasonably priced and adequate buffet for travelers needing to fill up. That is probably the best meal for the price that I have seen at any airport.

Just for grins, I am flying to Turkey in two weeks, so I will check the exact price for a Whopper meal at Suvarnabhumi, and if anyone is going to the US soon, they can check the price at a US airport. I am pretty sure that the Suvarnabhumi is more, but as I don't eat BK often, and I've never eaten at an airport BK except for at Suvarnabhumi, I cannot say with any degree of surety.

I would still only disagree about prices ... which by the way I was not originally comparing the airport price to local prices but airport to airport prices where I still believe BKK is going to be the overall lowest compared to the others on this list. As for US prices, not going to get into the cost of a hot dog in Chicago, but it is very well understood you will pay considerably more for goods and services in an airport than outside one in the US. I don't make a habit of comparing food prices this way as I just accept prices are higher but having spend many a day stuck at LAX I can tell you that the prices there are often 50% to twice as much as outside and I am not talking in general terms for a burger but in terms of chains operating inside the airport such as McDonalds. I've eaten at ORD a number of times (love Chi Pizza) and never noticed the prices not being what is considered typical inflated airport prices and would be surprised if they were the same as outside the airport given the costs associated with having a shop in an airport of this size ... but again never have thoughtfully compared and just accept I will pay more at the airports over the local prices.

OK, we will just have to disagree for now. But the fact is that most US airports regulate the prices so that restaurants cannot charge more at the airport than they do in town. It is part to the lease agreement. THey don't have to do the specials they offer in town, but they can't charge more. For example, Brothers Burgers as Dulles cost the exact same as downtown. (Of course, the $2 bottles of water don't seem to be regulated).

I forgot to mention Dubai, earlier. THey have a Cold Stone Creamery there which charges less than in the US, and they also have a very reasonably priced and adequate buffet for travelers needing to fill up. That is probably the best meal for the price that I have seen at any airport.

Just for grins, I am flying to Turkey in two weeks, so I will check the exact price for a Whopper meal at Suvarnabhumi, and if anyone is going to the US soon, they can check the price at a US airport. I am pretty sure that the Suvarnabhumi is more, but as I don't eat BK often, and I've never eaten at an airport BK except for at Suvarnabhumi, I cannot say with any degree of surety.

Well amazing---talking about burgers in Bkk.and Burgers in U.S.A is only a scratch on the surface on How this airport got it's rating... for all its good points it still baffles me. and do agree about howdidthey took the vote/poll--???and who conducted it?? and was it from arrivals-to the meeting point--then reverse on entrance, to the gate for take off...??...........I cannot see that this was the case, because then the traveller would have been exposed to the downfalls more....................BUT now were going to have a further 4 BILLION spent on runways----and terminals, (more confusion) or for the better... and hopefully they make better foundations(runways) and not overpriced scanners as was the case last time, and will king power dominate again at the new terminal ???

Edited by ginjag