Suvarnabhumi Named Fifth Best Airport

webfact

so Suvarnabhumi is officially tamada.

That's hardly something to have a strong opinion about.

"tamada"? Sorry if I missed something earlier.

5th out of 13 = tamada in my book

I.m told I'm a nice person but a bit slow - what does "tamada" mean?

I,m an oldster and just as slow---HELP---as I said earlier-sounds like tomato in U.S.A.----is it an anagram-adamat--no

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

Are they trying to say that this swampy is better than Dubai.

<snip>

No, they're not.

The top four are in Hong Kong, Beijing, Dubai and Dallas.

Sorry Whybother, :lol: I must be senile, was a mistake. I meant Abu Dhabi, which is in my opinion super compared to swampy. What about all the other fabulous airports in the world that hadn't a look in.---- I mentioned it because of its nomination. In shock again at this vote.The airport here is O.K. its the mafias that control it. My point was whoever voted for it, did it without taking into account of it,s (activities) !!!!!

abu dhabi imho was awful?

I,m an oldster and just as slow---HELP---as I said earlier-sounds like tomato in U.S.A.----is it an anagram-adamat--no

Tamada means 'average' or 'normal'.

Ta.

Ta.

Hey Andrew, I,m an oldster but TAMADA :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ta.

Hey Andrew, I,m an oldster but TAMADA :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a younster, but from the definition of "tamada" provided I'd respectfully suggest that you are being too kind Pee ...jap.gif

Stuffed up the "quote thingy" again. Bugger.

Edited by andrew55

But it seems to be a general thing that Englsih speaking people expect the world to adapt to their ways, whether language, culture or whatever.

My mother tongue isn't English and I don't expect to be welcomed in my native language anywhere in the world,but I expect that people directly related to tourism and getting the benefits of it to speak a language that is internationally accepted as the major language.And as far as I'm aware this is still English.

Edited by janverbeem

Nonsense not even sure in Top 5 in LOS

C Rai zero queues,C Mai efficient,,Phuket small friendly and easy into town,D Muang now empty almost a pleasure to use.

As for other places USA Portland Oaklnd and Salt Lake City all fine,Philadelphia Rochester all vsited last year beat Swqampy

Vantaa,Perth,Singapore how airports should be while at Munich a real normal supermarket Post Office

Bought nice cold German beer 79 cents and some Atlantic Salmon together with nice bread rol under price of a bottle of water Swampy airside where Labour costs a tenth

The only airpotrs I have been in worse in last 5 years is 3rd world Muscat,but given free whisky and pipers on Burns day,Keflavik no net,and Toronto $10 for a bottle of Fiji water ,miles and miles from city and not on subway

The queues ,loos,car parks,immigraton queues and long walks are a disgrace

C Rai zero queues,C Mai efficient,,Phuket small friendly and easy into town,D Muang now empty almost a pleasure to use.

As for other places USA Portland Oaklnd and Salt Lake City all fine,Philadelphia Rochester all vsited last year beat Swqampy

Vantaa,Perth,Singapore how airports should be while at Munich a real normal supermarket Post Office

Bought nice cold German beer 79 cents and some Atlantic Salmon together with nice bread rol under price of a bottle of water Swampy airside where Labour costs a tenth

The only airpotrs I have been in worse in last 5 years is 3rd world Muscat,but given free whisky and pipers on Burns day,Keflavik no net,and Toronto $10 for a bottle of Fiji water ,miles and miles from city and not on subway

Would someone care to translate this into an internationally accepted language, such as English?

None of the airports you mentioned have more than 40 mil pax ... which is the category that Suv got number 5 in.

I'm not anti-English, as I was born in England and lived there most of my love and I love it there. But just because I'm English I don't expect the rest of the world to speak English. Yes, it may be more convenient for us English if the rest of the world spoke it, but perhaps they don't want to. It would be more convenient for Thais if most of the world spoke Thai. Yes, English is an international language, but that's no reason to force ALL immigration staff to speak it if they are dealing with Chinese people. There are immigration staff at all airports that I've been to that speak English. It's unrealistic to expect them to all speak English just to make life more convenient for you. If you are dealing with immigration staff that don't speak English you can request an English speaking person or request a translator. It's not all about making your life easier. There are other people to consider as well. That's not anti-English at all. I just think everyone, whatever nationality, deserves to be treated fairly. I don't think the English, myself included, deserve special treatment.

It seems to me that when foreigners got to England they don't complain that the staff don't speak German, French, Thai, Chinese or whatever else. But many English go abroad and expect others to make the effort for them. There are many expats in Thailand that don't even bother to learn Thai even though they live here. They still expect Thais to learn English. It's this that I don't understand and don't really have any time for.

I am guessing that there is some sort of rule for immigration to be required to have some English if not actually speak it but TIT and rules don't always mean a lot. It is just not a matter of English being the most common language among travelers and such but it literally is considered the International Language including in business and airports.

As for being from England ... do you guys even really understand each other in the various English dialects used there laugh.gif ... just kidding with you.

It's no joke. If you are from the south of England you have no hope of understanding people from the north east. LOL. It's like they are from a different country.

LOL, the US is no different when you speak to some people from the South. I said the "kidding with you' thing because I didn't want it to come off as an insult but it cracks me up when I speak to one person in England that speaks so proper and then another that does a mumbling thing and then yet another (is it called Cockney) were these guys seem to have invented their own dictionary.

My Thai wife who speaks English well had a problem understanding anybody with a non-American accent the first few time she speaks to them. She sometimes asks me what language they are speaking.

I'm not anti-English, as I was born in England and lived there most of my love and I love it there. But just because I'm English I don't expect the rest of the world to speak English. Yes, it may be more convenient for us English if the rest of the world spoke it, but perhaps they don't want to. It would be more convenient for Thais if most of the world spoke Thai. Yes, English is an international language, but that's no reason to force ALL immigration staff to speak it if they are dealing with Chinese people. There are immigration staff at all airports that I've been to that speak English. It's unrealistic to expect them to all speak English just to make life more convenient for you. If you are dealing with immigration staff that don't speak English you can request an English speaking person or request a translator. It's not all about making your life easier. There are other people to consider as well. That's not anti-English at all. I just think everyone, whatever nationality, deserves to be treated fairly. I don't think the English, myself included, deserve special treatment.

It seems to me that when foreigners got to England they don't complain that the staff don't speak German, French, Thai, Chinese or whatever else. But many English go abroad and expect others to make the effort for them. There are many expats in Thailand that don't even bother to learn Thai even though they live here. They still expect Thais to learn English. It's this that I don't understand and don't really have any time for.

I am guessing that there is some sort of rule for immigration to be required to have some English if not actually speak it but TIT and rules don't always mean a lot. It is just not a matter of English being the most common language among travelers and such but it literally is considered the International Language including in business and airports.

As for being from England ... do you guys even really understand each other in the various English dialects used there laugh.gif ... just kidding with you.

It's no joke. If you are from the south of England you have no hope of understanding people from the north east. LOL. It's like they are from a different country.

LOL, the US is no different when you speak to some people from the South. I said the "kidding with you' thing because I didn't want it to come off as an insult but it cracks me up when I speak to one person in England that speaks so proper and then another that does a mumbling thing and then yet another (is it called Cockney) were these guys seem to have invented their own dictionary.

My Thai wife who speaks English well had a problem understanding anybody with a non-American accent the first few time she speaks to them. She sometimes asks me what language they are speaking.

Gee we off topic again??????????????????????

Dissagree--Don muang -num 1...:lol: :lol: hey who voted in the survey--King power-and A.O.T.-Taxi-and Thai Int---

what planet are you on .

don muang is not a REAL international airport .

limited domestic .. and a dirty hole , same as heathrow , third world .

swampy has improved leaps and bounds , since it opened .

i only come thru there 4 times every year from london.

as i am on a tite budget .

LOL :jap:

But it seems to be a general thing that Englsih speaking people expect the world to adapt to their ways, whether language, culture or whatever.

My mother tongue isn't English and I don't expect to be welcomed in my native language anywhere in the world,but I expect that people directly related to tourism and getting the benefits of it to speak a language that is internationally accepted as the major language.And as far as I'm aware this is still English.

Again w11guy..............what is this grudge you have about English, In general English people DO NOT expect everyone speak English, thats rubbish.......................IT just happens anywhere, that other nations revert to speaking it, and use it as a common language, weather it be here, europe, airports, computers,companies. it saves vasts amount of monies. I dont want people to accept my ways-or culture. Whats with you ?? Nisa was speaking about airline pilots and gave some good examples, and you actually said, you didn't realise that happened........amazing. I did say before you came over as anti English---because this is how you come over again with the above comment. I agree it appears some English maybe lazy to learn other languages but they could also be lucky that English is the common language. Talking about Swampy, and its probs---the biggest thing going for it is cause its new. Ask all the old travellers--they preffered Don Muang, position/transport connections/rail bus, the problem there was the airforce took up a lot of runway etc, moving them and hey presto !!!! but the new airport was a corrupt money spinner.

Hey, pal, stop wasting bandwidth. No-ones impressed. You're talking complete nonsensical, blinkered &lt;deleted&gt; and are coming across as a 10 year-old. Everyone involved in the service industry in the place of international travel (an airport) should have an understanding of English (the world, business language) no matter what their country. The rest of the world understands this, including the Chinese and Thais believe it or not, and you won't do yourself any favours by putting down your own kind in front of the natives.

I find that when visitors come, they haven't been told they are supposed to hate swampy, so they usually say the airport is really nice. I am amazed that expats think poorly of swampy, I guess they have their eyes closed when they are at their homeland airports.

The constant negativity also gets my back up and most of the time is not warranted, but on Swampy it is. Every time it's mentioned in publications of this nature, it's always talked-up as the world's best / better than others / most favoured, ad nauseum. How can an international airport be right up there when it lacks severely in all departments, from poor/indifferent service, lack of seating and having to be bussed to aircraft, to ropey eating and dodgy duty-free, not to mention ubiquitous scamming, touting? The last time I went through there, I swear they had the aircon off! It shouldn't even be on the same page as Changi.

Edited by jackr

Hey, pal, stop wasting bandwidth. No-ones impressed. You're talking complete nonsensical, blinkered &lt;deleted&gt; and are coming across as a 10 year-old. Everyone involved in the service industry in the place of international travel (an airport) should have an understanding of English (the world, business language) no matter what their country. The rest of the world understands this, including the Chinese and Thais believe it or not, and you won't do yourself any favours by putting down your own kind in front of the natives.

Lets not get too down on his comments as he may not have understood it is the International Language and should be the common language in places like airports. I say this because his point is a very good one in terms of a number of people. I don't speak Thai and have been here for 3+ years and I feel lucky that I can communicate with so many Thais given this is not my home country. However, I am embarrassed by farangs who go to places here and get upset or make snide comments when the staff don't speak English. It is all too common an experience I witness and it is sad because we are guests in this country.

Lets not get too down on his comments as he may not have understood it is the International Language and should be the common language in places like airports. I say this because his point is a very good one in terms of a number of people. I don't speak Thai and have been here for 3+ years and I feel lucky that I can communicate with so many Thais given this is not my home country. However, I am embarrassed by farangs who go to places here and get upset or make snide comments when the staff don't speak English. It is all too common an experience I witness and it is sad because we are guests in this country.

I can understand what you mean Nisa, I'm sure he well understood the Int/Lang-thing......but he was being argumentative. just as he said to you he was from the south of England and they could not understand northerners when speaking--that WAS crap. For all his stat knowledge he didn't know that pilots spoke English on routes,,,strange. intelligence is one thing-commonsense is another. you were nice about it-but too kind to him. Maybe being from the north of England we do have a fault--that is we call a spade a spade.

# 106 J.R. good stuff..thats what I call a spade a spade

#107 N i'm totally with you on this, re-Foreigners in pubic getting irate cause Thais do not understand. They are scum--and far too many of them. just to add, Bar girls and boys in general speak better English than most learnered Thais--I wonder how and why ????:lol: :lol:

Even if what you say is tue, these surveys are about what passengers think of different airports. Most people wouldn't come across this, so it woudn't be an issue. I'm sure that people who had extensibve knowledge of any airport could come up with a similar list. Try going to Heathrow or JFK. they are full of taxi touts. The police don't bother in either of them. If BKK is like what you say then it should be dealt with. But I've never seen this. It doesn't mean it's not true. But it means it didn't affect me and so my experiences there have been very good.

The survey isn't about political issues, corruption etc. It's about passenger experiences. So BKK is 5 out 13 of airports with over 40m people using them. Not great, but not as bad as some make out. If there's as much corruption in Thialnd as some on here claim then BKK airport should be congratulated for doing such a good job. If they can get the airport to run this smoothly among all the corruption, then at least they are doing something right.

What I said is all true.

Try telling the 500,000+ people that were stranded due to the yellow shirt airport takeover that it "wasn't an issue."

And you couldn't make a similar list for any other airport in the World, which was exactly my point.

Suvarnabhumi has been a disgrace since the day it opened and has not improved one iota,

Edited by Oberkommando

Even if what you say is tue, these surveys are about what passengers think of different airports. Most people wouldn't come across this, so it woudn't be an issue. I'm sure that people who had extensibve knowledge of any airport could come up with a similar list. Try going to Heathrow or JFK. they are full of taxi touts. The police don't bother in either of them. If BKK is like what you say then it should be dealt with. But I've never seen this. It doesn't mean it's not true. But it means it didn't affect me and so my experiences there have been very good.

The survey isn't about political issues, corruption etc. It's about passenger experiences. So BKK is 5 out 13 of airports with over 40m people using them. Not great, but not as bad as some make out. If there's as much corruption in Thialnd as some on here claim then BKK airport should be congratulated for doing such a good job. If they can get the airport to run this smoothly among all the corruption, then at least they are doing something right.

What I said is all true.

Try telling the 500,000+ people that were stranded due to the yellow shirt airport takeover that it "wasn't an issue."

And you couldn't make a similar list for any other airport in the World, which was exactly my point.

Suvarnabhumi has been a disgrace since the day it opened and has not improved one iota,

It can't be all that bad from a passenger view considering it is claimed in this survey to be doing better than most airports of its size.

I find that when visitors come, they haven't been told they are supposed to hate swampy, so they usually say the airport is really nice. I am amazed that expats think poorly of swampy, I guess they have their eyes closed when they are at their homeland airports.

I'm not surprised at all. Most expats on here hate anything to do with Thailand. They come on here every day and just look for soemthing negative to say. Immigration queues are bad, but how can you arrive at swampy and not be impressed. I have been to plenty of airports around the world and I can assure you that most are much worse than this, especially in the US and UK.

Some people (especially jaded thaivisa expats) just hate everything. The survey isn't about them. If they don't like the airport, no-one really cares. Go find a different airport if it's so bad. And go find a different country if you think Thailand's so bad. But they wouldn't do that because they love to stay here so that they can complain all day. LOL. I feel sorry for them.

That is a good observation. Many of us think that when you get to the point where being here is that sour an experience, it is simply time to leave. Pack it up, and find another place that gives you some joy. Some people just need to move on. I myself get joy from Thailand on a daily basis. I may suggest when the joy is gone, it is time to move on! There is enough here to celebrate, and the quality of life here is very high. But, some are simply constipated, and need something to moan about.

I have been to countless airports all over the USA, Europe, and Asia. And I really have no idea why everyone is so hard on BKK. It is at least 10x better than any airport in the USA, and easily on par with many in Europe. Maybe it has some problems which would be noticed to someone who spends a lot of time there, but to the casual traveler, including myself, it is a very acceptable airport with no obvious fallacies. And the rail link is a great addition, since it is easy to get into the city without having to hassle with the taxi mafia there. Even if you need to catch a taxi to/from Makkasan or Phayathai, it is still better than going all the way to the airport. Of course, they still have some bugs to work out, but any new airport needs a few years to get its act together.

I think you forgot to read the rules before posting. When making any post on here it is a requirement that all comments should be negative. Saying something nice about the airport, about Thailand or about Thai people is just not telerated and you are likely to be banned if you continue to say these nice things.

LOL.

Great post. I wish there were more people like you on here.

Another great observation. Some forget that this forum is about expressing all views. Some of us really love living in Thailand, and really appreciate the people, for all of their seemingly odd ways of looking at life. Is that not part of what makes this place so charming?

Another great observation. Some forget that this forum is about expressing all views. Some of us really love living in Thailand, and really appreciate the people, for all of their seemingly odd ways of looking at life. Is that not part of what makes this place so charming?

I love living in Thailand, does that mean I am not allowed to rightly criticise this disgrace of an airport? Or are you saying anyone that criticises the airport doesn't love Thailand?

"Odd ways." What nonsense. Just another apology for corruption, poor service, criminality, racism and lazyness. Mai bpen rai is why Thailand will never advance beyond what it is now. Thailand's mentality is very much rooted in the Third World.

It can't be all that bad from a passenger view considering it is claimed in this survey to be doing better than most airports of its size.

I take any survey with a large pinch of salt.

I prefer to gauge based on my personal experience and the experiences of other more qualified travellers such as frequent travellers and expats.

It's no coincidence there are so many negative responses when the subject of Suvarnabhumi Airport comes up.

It's indicative.

I prefer to gauge based on my personal experience and the experiences of other more qualified travellers such as frequent travellers and expats.

It's no coincidence there are so many negative responses when the subject of Suvarnabhumi Airport comes up.

It's indicative.

I've never had a bad experience in Suvarnibhumi. I do only go through it a dozen times a year.

The only issues I have had are long check in queues, and long immigration queues leaving (none as bad as recently reported), but never a problem arriving. But that has happened to me at other airports too (smaller ones), and pales in comparison to what you have to deal with at Heathrow.

I love living in Thailand, does that mean I am not allowed to rightly criticise this disgrace of an airport? Or are you saying anyone that criticises the airport doesn't love Thailand?

"Odd ways." What nonsense. Just another apology for corruption, poor service, criminality, racism and lazyness. Mai bpen rai is why Thailand will never advance beyond what it is now. Thailand's mentality is very much rooted in the Third World.

It's indicative.

Here are the other airports that typically rate as having more than 40 million passengers. Please let us know what horrible experiences you find at BKK that you don't find at the others.

Atlanta

Bejing

Chicago

London

Tokyo

Los Angeles

Paris

Dallas-Fort Worth

Frankfurt

Germany

Denver

Madrid

Hong Kong

Dubai

JFK New York

Amsterdam

Tangerang, Indonesia

Every post I have seen by you has been negative towards Thailand and/or its people as a whole or specific groups or things within Thailand but you continue to remain here instead of going back to your home country or even another country. I am just perplexed by this.

Edited by Nisa

Statistics are an amazing thing.

Let us asume that the statistics are correct.

Let us asume that the news paper report is correct.

The statistics could then be read as:

1. Swampy is number 5 in the world.

2. 30% of all airports are better, and 70% are worse.

Your choice!

Here are the other airports that typically rate as having more than 40 million passengers. Please let us know what horrible experiences you find at BKK that you don't find at the others.

Happy to answer from personal experience.

I haven't been stuck in Cambodia for several days away from my business and family because a militant political group shut down any of those other airports. Nor have I had to return to those airports while they were being controlled by an armed paramilitary group to retrieve my car from the car park under threatening and unacceptable circumstances.

I haven't been approached by unlicensed taxi drivers at any of the others.

I haven't been a victim of an attempted scam by men in uniform posing as Police trying to extort money from me for excess Duty Free which I did not have at any of the others.

Indeed, I haven't been treated as badly at any other airport, regardless of size or modernity.

Every post I have seen by you has been negative towards Thailand and/or its people as a whole or specific groups or things within Thailand but you continue to remain here instead of going back to your home country or even another country. I am just perplexed by this.

The inevitable "if you don't like it go home" retort.

:coffee1:

Happy to answer from personal experience.

I haven't been stuck in Cambodia for several days away from my business and family because a militant political group shut down any of those other airports. Nor have I had to return to those airports while they were being controlled by an armed paramilitary group to retrieve my car from the car park under threatening and unacceptable circumstances.

I haven't been approached by unlicensed taxi drivers at any of the others.

I haven't been a victim of an attempted scam by men in uniform posing as Police trying to extort money from me for excess Duty Free which I did not have at any of the others.

Indeed, I haven't been treated as badly at any other airport, regardless of size or modernity.

You can't really blame the airport for a bunch of idiots taking it over. And that was 2008, but this survey is for 2010.