Da Mattia Restaurant Status

thaimancnx

yes , stefano was driving back home after work when an allegedly drunken teenager with no driving license hit him from the back.

he was a great guy and will be really missed by all his friends.

his funeral will be held on the 21st of feb but he lies already at the temple for anyone who would like to pay some respects to him and his family.

i dont know the name of the temple but its the one not too far from the restaurant, its on the river not far from a church and some big schools, where there is a boat landing as well

and where you can free the birds.

I am so sad to hear of Stephano's very untimely passing. Had dinner there about 3 weeks ago and he joined me at the table and we had a nice chat. He told me how excited he was about moving to the new location nearer to his family's house and that he was able to keep his key staff and cooks with him. He was a wonderful man with a great restaurant and he will be greatly missed by all who were fortunate enough to know him. I feel so sorry for his wife and children.

Does anyone have a link to news in Thai newspapers about this??

Does anyone know anything more about the name of the Wat were งานศบ will be held???

I often eat at Black Canyon opposite his restaurant. I never visited his restaurant but often saw him around and occasionally exchanged nods and smiles. He seemed a nice guy. It seems the loss of his life was not only tragic but also avoidable. I've known 10s of foreigners who have died due to motorcycle 'accidents' in Chiang Mai. You are very vulnerable on 2 wheels even if you are a safe and careful rider which I'm sure he was.

RIP Stephano

This is really so sad ///// And of course no news about the drunken teenager who killed him and if he has been arrested and tried or not and will probably never be ....

Makes me ill to say the least

yes , stefano was driving back home after work when an allegedly drunken teenager with no driving license hit him from the back.

he was a great guy and will be really missed by all his friends.

his funeral will be held on the 21st of feb but he lies already at the temple for anyone who would like to pay some respects to him and his family.

i dont know the name of the temple but its the one not too far from the restaurant, its on the river not far from a church and some big schools, where there is a boat landing as well

and where you can free the birds.

I've known 10s of foreigners who have died due to motorcycle 'accidents' in Chiang Mai. You are very vulnerable on 2 wheels even if you are a safe and careful rider which I'm sure he was.

What are you implying exactly with "accidents"? Are you seriously saying that the foreigners were deliberately attacked? Care to elaborate in details?

Greytown I think your reply is loaded. I hear in the post you refer to, only a word of caution to all foreigners who might be over-comfortable with their surroundings n let their guards down. That's when the screwballs will strike. And then, the next point beyond that is that safety on a bike is more perilous than in a car. I can agree with that more than 50% but not 100%, the way the small cars are built in this country, ie little sardine can death traps.

I have known 2 Farang (one of them Stefano) who have died in the last month, and two others who have had bones broken in moto accidents in the last 2 wks. Indeed it's a wake-up call to be ever-vigilant.

Let's all be safe out there!

Edited by realthaideal

I've known 10s of foreigners who have died due to motorcycle 'accidents' in Chiang Mai. You are very vulnerable on 2 wheels even if you are a safe and careful rider which I'm sure he was.

What are you implying exactly with "accidents"? Are you seriously saying that the foreigners were deliberately attacked? Care to elaborate in details?

I'll make it simple for you: motorbikes are dangerous in Thailand.

Drunk and irresponsible behaviour that leads to death is frequently described as accidental here. Stephanos death appears to be due to drunk and irresponsible behaviour (not his).

I've known 10s of foreigners who have died due to motorcycle 'accidents' in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Loaded

It is the irresponsibility and total lack of accountability that gets me over this. The kid that hit him from the rear is 19, no drivers license, naturally no insurance, and his relatives lent him the money to buy the truck. Par for the course he fled the scene only to turn up later.

This sort of thing happens all the time, to my knowledge there have been no consequences for his actions, and no one is held accountable. <deleted> does the police not even charge him?

Stephanos wife does not want to push the issue in a civil case so the murderer gets off scott free.

• 1 month later...

The definition of an accident "an unplanned, undesirable event"

My information suggests that it might fit the 'undesirable' category but whether it was 'unplanned' is open to conjecture and is unlikely to ever be determined (beyond reasonable doubt) due to the well known Realm's keystone cops and their lack of any sort of or degree of competence.

Greytown I think your reply is loaded. I hear in the post you refer to, only a word of caution to all foreigners who might be over-comfortable with their surroundings n let their guards down. That's when the screwballs will strike. And then, the next point beyond that is that safety on a bike is more perilous than in a car. I can agree with that more than 50% but not 100%, the way the small cars are built in this country, ie little sardine can death traps.

I have known 2 Farang (one of them Stefano) who have died in the last month, and two others who have had bones broken in moto accidents in the last 2 wks. Indeed it's a wake-up call to be ever-vigilant.

Let's all be safe out there!

Realthaideal>>>> Interesting post. Do you suggest/recommend driving a four wheel vehicle as opposed to a motorcycle. I have ridden motorbikes for more years than I care to remember and always use all I was taught to be prepared of what is in front and what is behind or alongside me regarding vehicles. But the more I read on this subject, I wonder if I too, have become comfortable with living in Thailand.? I would appreciate your experience, views and advice on this.

I tend to use the motorcycle for trips around the town and outlying areas because of the traffic congestion. Or should I accept driving a truck and all that goes with it as a compromise for safety.

Many thanks.