Motorcycle Rental

jimbfburnett

:o

I will be in Chiang Mai in late October and wish to rent motorcycle for a few days. I am an experenced rider 40+ years. Can anyone recomend places to rent? Should I have an international Driving Permit or is my US Licence ok. What about insurance? Thank you for any tips you can provide.

Haven't used them myself (I ended up with a car because it was the rainy season), but I was given the following recommendation earlier this year:

Mr Mechanic, by name Lek and Kung, a one-minute walk north of Tai Phae Gate/the Montri Hotel on the inside of the moat. The very best maintained bikes in CM and the best insurance included in their very reasonable rental fee. We have been friends for over four years and I send ALL of my biker friends to them.

Not sure about the IDP - as I assume your US licence includes your photo? Failing answers from those in the know, send a PM to PeaceBlondie on here - US guy who's an experienced biker and knows the CM scene well. He also recommended "Buddy's Bikes" opposite Central Department Store on Huay Kaew Road (for smaller bikes).

I will be in Chiang Mai in late October and wish to rent motorcycle for a few days.  I am an experenced rider 40+ years.  Can anyone recomend places to rent?  Should I have an international Driving Permit or is my US Licence ok.  What about insurance?  Thank you for any tips you can provide.

Also some referrals here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...42075&hl=rental

I will be in Chiang Mai in late October and wish to rent motorcycle for a few days.  I am an experenced rider 40+ years.  Can anyone recomend places to rent?  Should I have an international Driving Permit or is my US Licence ok.  What about insurance?  Thank you for any tips you can provide.

There're many motocycle shops for rent in CNX. Many motocycles are getting old, like Honda CB400, CB750. Take it for a ride before hand over your passport (for deposit on the bike). About IDP, you're required, but this is Thailand! The shop doesn't even ask for it! Check with Gt-Rider website for shops listing, and enjoy your ride.

I'd rate mr Mechanic too - rented a nice little CB400 from them this July for 600B/day. Mine was blue, tried the red Vtec engined one but did not seem worth the extra 100B/day. Did a couple of 300km rides two-up and it was fine.

Don't get confused with another rental outfit about 100 yds closer to the gate. I had a 1989 CB750 from them in May and it was a shed! Steering head bearings hanging out, rear shockers shot and handled like a pig on rollerskates

If you are after an off-roader, go to Joe's Bikes on soi 2 Chiang Moi and pick up a well maintained XR or TT 250.