Work Permit Application For Gov'T School

MagnumForce

Hi,

It looks likely that I'll be starting work in a new province for a big government school. They suggested that I will have to go to the Labour Office myself to get my new work permit. Having never had to do this before (done by my present and previous employers) could somebody please tell me exactly what documents/requirements (both mine and the school's) I will need to present to the Labour Office in order for them to successfully process my application? I have been told that there will be a waiver for the Teaching Licence, at least for the first year but I want to be clear on all the other documents/requirements so as to ensure everything goes smoothly.

On a related point, I will also have to arrange my own new 'extension of stay based on work'. I am currently on an 'extension of stay based on work' with a Non-Imm 'O' visa. What documents/requirements (both mine and the school's) will I need to present to Immigration in order for them to successfully process my new 'extension of stay based on work' application?

Finally, my present 'extension of stay based on work' was issued in Chiang Mai. I will have to get my new one in Nan. Can Nan Immigration cancel my CM issued 'extension of stay based on work' if I show them a letter from my present employer in CM stating my last day of work (hopefully the day I actually go to Nan Immigration). If possible, I'm trying to avoid having to get a temporary extension of stay eg 1 week or 60 days based on marriage to a Thai.

Thanks.

MF

I have a friend who works for a gov't school and he has to take care of his own visa and work permit as well. I am not sure why, but that's how they do it. The school prepares all the documents and apparently the officers know the school and it's not too difficult.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

The non-O is irrelevant. Your extension of stay and the reason for it is. You are currently on an extension of stay based on employment. Your permission to stay ends on the day you stop working for your current employer. If that is not the day your current permission to stay ends, you have to go to the labour office to cancel your work permit with a letter from your employer and also go to immigration with a letter from your employer to cancel your permission to stay.

(The letter is a simple one, identifying you by name and passport number (and maybe WP number) and stating that your employment has ended today).

You can get a 7 day "extension of stay" from immigration (If you are married to a Thai you can get a 60 day extension with extra documents). This gives you time to apply for a new WP and extension of stay.

For the extension of stay you just fill in the standard TM 7 form with as reason "employment" or something like that.

-immigration will want to see a teachers license (or waiver), the WP or WP3 form, letters form the school and area education office, health certificate, a degree, etc. it varies a bit from immigration office, so call them first to see what the want in your case.

What has to be said is said by previous posters. Please note that Nan immigration is reported as one of the Immigration Offices that explicitly wants to see your provisional teacher license issued by The teachers' Council of Thailand when applying for an extension of the temporary stay.

Moreover, it's reported that also the Ministry of Labour, Department of Employment wants to see the TCT provisional teacher license when applying for a WP.2 or WP.5.

Just a heads up.

Thanks Mario2008. Very helpful. I mentioned that the new school want me to go to the Labour Office in the new province to apply for the new Work Permit myself. Presumably the school will provide me with certain documents to help me get the Work Permit. Any idea what they will be? Also, what documents must I provide myself in addition to the school's?

From what you said, I must personally cancel my work permit at CM Labour Office and then go to CM Immigration to personally cancel my extension of stay based on my present employment in CM and on the same day apply for the extension of stay for 60 days based on marriage. Is this correct?

I was under the impression that I only needed a letter for Immigration stating that my employment has finished so that they will cancel my extension of stay. I didn't know I had to personally cancel my Work Permit as well? Time could be a problem if I have to wait in CM Labour Office and then go to CM Immigration and join the queue for an extension of stay based on marriage for 60 days, Particularly if they only deal with a certain number of cases each day. If i don't have to personally cancel my Work Permit in CM, can Nan Immigration cancel my current extension of stay issued by CM Immigration?

Also, do you know or does anyone know what the up-to-date requirements for the 60 day extension of stay based on marriage are in CM?

Assuming I get this 60 day extension, I must then try to get my new Work Permit and new extension of stay based on my new employment in Nan. Can you confirm whether I must apply for the new Work Permit before the new extension of stay for work or vice versa?

Many Thanks.

MF

Nan indeed want's to see a teacher license or waiver and a degree, translated into Thai.

All documents should be certified by you and by the school director, with signature and school stamp. Believe they also want to see a translation of the degree into Thai.

There is apparently new staff in Nan, including the person who signs the extension off, so things might have slightly changed and i would call them first. Also about if they are wiling to cancel your current permission to stay.

What has to be said is said by previous posters. Please note that Nan immigration is reported as one of the Immigration Offices that explicitly wants to see your provisional teacher license issued by The teachers' Council of Thailand when applying for an extension of the temporary stay.

Moreover, it's reported that also the Ministry of Labour, Department of Employment wants to see the TCT provisional teacher license when applying for a WP.2 or WP.5.

Just a heads up.

Hi Aidenai,

Are you saying that Nan will not accept a waiver of the Teacher's Licence? And are you saying that the Department of Labour in every province will not accept the waiver? The school told me I am entitled to a waiver for 2 years.

What's the difference between WP.2 and WP.5?

Doing the cancellation of the WP yourself works the best, as you will be sure it has been done. And the same day go to immigraiton for the 60 day extension. You will need to bring the wife along, and the marriage certificate, wife's household book and ID-card and copies there of and of your passport and arrival card.

The documents you will need to show for the WP are:

- letter from the school director

- letter form the education office

- several forms from the labour office, regarding your past employment and current employment

- health certificate

- map to your work place and map to your house

- degree

- teacher license or waiver

- 3,100 baht in fees

- passport size photo (2 inch)

- a smile (not on the list, but a very important item to bring with you)

The requirements vary per labour office, so contacting them in advance is in order also to get the forms you will need, although you can get them in CM as well.

You must apply for a work permit before you can get a 1 year extension of stay. 60 days should give you plenty of time for that.

If you need a waiver of the teachers license, have the new school apply for it now! Reports on the forum suggest it currently might take some time before you will get it.

Nan indeed want's to see a teacher license or waiver and a degree, translated into Thai.

All documents should be certified by you and by the school director, with signature and school stamp. Believe they also want to see a translation of the degree into Thai.

There is apparently new staff in Nan, including the person who signs the extension off, so things might have slightly changed and i would call them first. Also about if they are wiling to cancel your current permission to stay.

When you say "Nan indeed want's to see a teacher license or waiver and a degree, translated into Thai." are you talking about Nan Immigration or Nan Labour Office?

My degree parchment is written in Latin from University College Dublin. How in God's name will I find someone to translate Latin into Thai. Will a certified copy of my grades each year and my final grade showing qualification, award period, award grade and conferring date be enough? Never had this issue in CM.

If you need a waiver of the teachers license, have the new school apply for it now! Reports on the forum suggest it currently might take some time before you will get it.

Do you know what they would need from me to send off the application for the Teacher's Licence Waiver or is it between the school and the TCT?

And thanks for all your advice so far. It's very kind of you!:jap:

Hi Aidenai,

Are you saying that Nan will not accept a waiver of the Teacher's Licence? And are you saying that the Department of Labour in every province will not accept the waiver? The school told me I am entitled to a waiver for 2 years.

What's the difference between WP.2 and WP.5?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The Teachers' Council of Thailand doesn't use the word waiver. They use provisional teacher license. There are several types of them. 1) letter with expiration date 2) certificate; TL in progress and 3) provisional teacher license in progress and perhaps even more. What ever document it is, they permit you to teach at a specific educational institute without having the TCT Teacher License. According to the new rules from the Ministry of Labour, Department of Employment, teachers need to submit any of mentioned documents above.

WP.2 is an initial work permit and WP.5 is a renewal.

This is something the school must do, in Thai. The school needs to write a letter to the teacher council explaining why they need you and why you don't have a teachers license (yet).

Yes, sir. Below you find the rules.

Teachers who have not met the Council's requirements; therefore this is an alternative way to assist:

1. Your employing school headmaster/ principal needs to provide a written request to the secretary-general of the Council requesting the exception of professional qualification, including the reasons why the school has to employ you.

2. Gather other required documents:

- A copy of passport with photo and signature or other evidence identified legallyimmigration

- A copy of employment contract

- A copy of degree or educational background

- One of 1 inch photographs without dark glasses taken within 6 months

3. Send the written request and required documents to the Secretariat Office of the Teachers' Council of Thailand.

After consideration of the reasons and documents attached, the Council will provide you with a two-year provisional teaching permit.

http://www.ksp.or.th...ng%20permit.pdf