Scores of businesses close after shootings and bombing in southern Thailand

News_Editor

Scores of businesses close after shootings and bombing in southern Thailand

2011-02-21 08:38:27 GMT+7 (ICT)

NARATHIWAT, THAILAND (BNO NEWS) -- Several businesses in Thailand's southern province of Narathiwat, including about 60 karaoke bars, remained closed on Sunday following Saturday night's shootings and car bomb, Thailand's MCOT news agency reported.

Two females employed at a karaoke bar were injured after a shooting took place, and while local authorities were investigating the situation, about 30 minutes later, a car bomb exploded around 100 meters away from the initial scene, injuring at least 17 people at a restaurant.

As a result, one of the injured has been reported in critical condition at a local hospital. The bomb, which was placed in a car with fake license plates, was believed to be detonated by a cell phone. Several buildings and vehicles in the surrounding areas were also damaged.

Then, an unknown number of gunmen equipped with M79 automatic rifles opened fire against another karaoke bar, causing damage by shattering windows, walls, and doors. The bar's employees were all inside during the attack, and no casualties were reported.

Since 2004, around 4,000 people have been killed in Thailand's southern regions of Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat, as local insurgent groups renewed their fighting efforts against the government.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-21

The jihad is here. It's not about getting along. It's about following Muhammad's command to submit the world to Sharia law and make Islam the only accepted religion.

You're spewing foxnews' crap alright. Good boy.

"Then, an unknown number of gunmen equipped with M79 automatic rifles opened fire against another karaoke bar"

I am no expert but I think the M79 is a grenade launcher, and it is not automatic, my guess would be that the unknown

number would be 1, because I am thinking 2 grenade launchers against a karaoke bar, would end a karaoke bar quick like

jkolak is 100% competent in his post. He has the clue!

And soon this will swap to the more northern situated provinces of TH...just a question of time.

:)

Actually his post demonstrates no knowledge of what is happening in southern Thailand or why, just as you post demonstrates the same.

Actually his post demonstrates no knowledge of what is happening in southern Thailand or why, just as you post demonstrates the same.

Why would you say something like that? I doubt most forum members would have higher professional qualifications.

You should be ashamed to embarrass yourself publicly with such a poor comment.

Perhaps because I have spent time living in a Muslim community in the South, my landlord was from the South, Muslim, spoke Yawi etc ....

I am not ashamed to point out that your post demonstrated no knowledge of the history of the deep South of Thailand, the ethnic makeup of the people in Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani, or Songkhla, or the current issues of their lives.

Perhaps because I have spent time living in a Muslim community in the South, my landlord was from the South, Muslim, spoke Yawi etc ....

I am not ashamed to point out that your post demonstrated no knowledge of the history of the deep South of Thailand, the ethnic makeup of the people in Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani, or Songkhla, or the current issues of their lives.

I would say that your anecdotal experience does not make my point of view invalid, nor justify the derogatory tone you take towards others.

I would say that your anecdotal experience does not make my point of view invalid, nor justify the derogatory tone you take towards others.

I am sorry, did you post a POV other than to make an unsubstantiated claim that "the Jihad" is here, and that Sharia law is what is being sought for the lower 4 provinces? Could you please document your claims that that has ever been the goals of the insurgents/separatists in the south? That your post demonstrated no knowledge is evident since it didn't address the issues in which I stated it demonstrated no knowledge of.

My anecdotal evidence, though being only based upon personal experience, IS evidence. You provided none. You didn't discuss the history of the former Pattani sultanate nor the ethnic identities of the people in those provinces, or the lack of any form o self-rule or even the failure of the state to allow the native language to be used in an official capacity in local government. You didn't address the fact that the governors of those 4 provinces are appointed from BKK and not elected by the population, you didn't discuss the history of the government's response to the situation in the South, such as Tak Bai, or Kru Seh. You didn't discuss activists that have been murdered or 'disappeared'.

You only made an unsubstantiated accusation that to me smacks of religious intolerance.

Again, I have lived in the South, I have studied the history, and I have an informed opinion. It is an opinion based upon the preceding factors.

http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-World-Insurgency-and-Terrorism/Patani-United-Liberation-Organisation-PULO-Thailand.html

PULO has been around since 1968 (I was 4 years old)

Aims and Objectives

PULO's primary objective is the secession of the majority Malay-Muslim regions of southern Thailand, and the establishment of an independent Malay-Muslim state in their place. This state would be comprised of the provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat, Yala and Satun, along with several majority Malay-Muslim districts of adjacent Songkhla province. Although this objective represents the group's maximum position, some PULO leaders have conceded that in the event of serious negotiations between the government and the separatist movement, the possibility of a settlement based on regional autonomy rather than secession could not be ruled out. Speaking in August 2010, PMLM spokesman Kasturi Makota stated: "The Thais have to come to us with something, then we will discuss it among ourselves. The conflict has to be resolved. For me the word - independence, autonomy, federation - is not important. The content is more important. We have to be able to make an agreement, then agree on what to call it." While paying due respect to Islam in the religiously conservative milieu of the border provinces in which it operates, PULO projects itself as a 'moderate' separatist group founded on Patani-Malay nationalist principles and does not support the religiously-fuelled extremism that has gained a foothold among some elements within the broader separatist movement. Makota stated: "We have to concentrate on our struggle. The roots are historical, not religious. We were occupied by the Thais for over 100 years. Our fight is for the identity and dignity of Pattani, we don't want to involve

Janes is a good source, but they are not the only analysts working on Thailand. They give a nod to religiously fueled insurgency, others give it a weightier role. If PULO was not Muslim, they would not object to being part of a Buddhist country.

Right --- Janes is a world leader in insurgency/terrorism etc.

Wrong --- (and smacking of religious intolerance again) ANY ethnic group with a common language, majority population, and no self rule would object to being subjugated by a government they had no voice in and no ethnic identity with. That the statement that self-rule would be enough for PULO is included in the Jane's report proves that.

Right --- There are more violent groups that have come into the fray as a result of Thaksin's crackdown on the south.

Wrong --- there are Muslims in Thailand that are solely ethnically Thai. They have no objection to being Thai. The Royal Thai Army was led by a Muslim for years.

Wrong --- historically the Pattani sultanate was not part of Thailand. (again the fact that PULO considers self-rule acceptable shows that itt isn't about religion, it is about ethnicity/culture and fairness.

You keep raising religious intolerance ad hominems like it is a holy grail for you.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff did a study of Islamic doctrine to find out what they could use to get the moderate Muslims to help with the war on terrorism. The result of the study is that Islamic doctrine does not support the moderate narrative. The percentage of Muslims in the south who are moderate is unknown, but Islam has a duality in which the things they tell the public are not the same as what they say among themselves.

You can see an abbreviated version of the Pentagon briefing here:

Your opening "jihad" "mohammed" "sharia law" --- told the story clearly. -- They are not ad hominem attacks that I have put forward. They are remarks based upon your statements that show no clear understanding of Islam, or the people of Southern Thailand.

I have 2 questions ----

1) Are you in Thailand?

2) Have you spent ANY time in the deep South of Thailand?

The Pentagon's briefing isn't relevant to a situation that is not based upon religion and is based upon history and lack of self-rule. The Pentagon's remarks are correct only in the fact that nobody will rein-in religious extremist groups (of ANY religious background --- not just Islam)

Edited by metisdead
Removed previously deleted comment.

You are just being intolerant and don't want to hear any other point of view.

First, PULO represents at least 7 Islamic insurgent organizations:

Mujahideen Pattani Movement (BNP)

Pattani Islamic Mujahideen Movement (GMIP)

Mujahideen Islamic Pattani Group

National Revolution Front (BRN)

Pattani Liberation National Front (BNPP)

Jemaah Islamiyah (JI)

Runda Kumpulan Kecil

All of them, including PULO, have Islamic flags.

In 2009, PULO agreed to represent Me Kuteh, Emir of the Group of Mujahidin Islam Patani (GMIP).

In 2009, Al Haj Abu Yasir Fikri, president of PULO, addressed the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Your idea that they are willing to remain a part of Thailand in exchange for additional self-governance is only an initial step. The plan that was introduced at the OIC was in three stages:

1. Greater management of internal affairs

2. Implementation of Sharia Law

3. Referendum to determine whether they want to remain part of Thailand or achieve independence from Thailand.

Edited by jkolak

Please cite your sources ----

and it does nothing to mitigate your intolerance as shown by your other posts...

and you failed to answer 2 direct questions that are pertinent to the conversation.

edit to remove uncited quote

Edited by jdinasia

and it does nothing to mitigate your intolerance as shown by your other posts...

and you failed to answer 2 direct questions that are pertinent to the conversation.

I say your are intolerant. You are trying to pull an alpha male domination on me, and I'm not going to tolerate it. If you are not well read enough to recognize the information I've cited, you can go do your own homework. I'm not your school mom.

I say your are intolerant. You are trying to pull an alpha male domination on me, and I'm not going to tolerate it. If you are not well read enough to recognize the information I've cited, you can go do your own homework. I'm not your school mom.

Citing sources (as I did with the Jane's article) is good netiquette. Your statement about bulldozing mosques proves the only thing I need to. Your failure to answer direct and pertinent questions tells the rest.

fair usage copyright law requires sources to be cited*

Edited by jdinasia