Dry Cleaning In Thailand

Forethat

Over the past couple of months I've ended up in weird situations at dry cleaners. I'm not going to mention the places in question, but they are all dry cleaners hosted at the high end shopping malls in Bangkok. This is a couple of examples of what has happened:

1. Bed topping with micro gel filling. Ordered dry cleaning, but topping was cleaned with water, ruining it by turning the micro gel into lumps. The company tried to fix it by "re-cleaning it", but instead had the stitching opened which made things worse. Never reimbursed

2. Two suits, Zegna and Canali washed in water rather than the dry cleaning ordered. Reimbursed in full (cudos!!).

The past weekend I decided to dry clean the cases for all the cushioning in one of the sofas. I was quoted SIXTEEN THOUSAND BAHT (16.000). This was for a normal sized 3+2 sofa.

I'm beginning to suspect that dry cleaning is big bucks in Bangkok. Potentially, it's a common scam to charge for dry cleaning when the items are in fact washed in water.

Am I just being unlucky, or is dry cleaning this expensive? I need to find a good dry cleaner, but so far I have failed completely.

We finally found a good dry cleaner here in Chiang Mai, Washy Mashy on Huey Kaew Rd.. I don't think they actually do the dry cleaning on site, but they do the pre-treating of the spots and soiled areas and then send the clothes off somewhere, maybe even to BKK, judging by how long it takes for them to return our drycleaning. Yes, I think language ability is a big plus. They want to know what caused the spots, why we're drycleaning the item, etc. They're really good at removing the stains I get on the hems of my skirts from riding on the Chiang Mai song thaews.

I think the trick is to get to know a drycleaner; maybe start the relationship with something less expensive like a skirt or slacks before you trust them with your wedding dress or tuxedo!