Somali pirates brutally execute four Americans aboard sailing yacht

News_Editor

Somali pirates brutally execute four Americans aboard sailing yacht

2011-02-23 10:59:18 GMT+7 (ICT)

BRUSSELS (BNO NEWS) -- Somali pirates on Tuesday morning executed four American tourists who had been taken hostage aboard their sailing yacht on Friday, the U.S. military said.

The S/V Quest was seized on Friday afternoon about 240 nautical miles (444 kilometers) off the coast of Oman when it was attacked by pirates in the Indian Ocean. The four Americans on board were taken hostage.

At approximately 1 a.m. EST on Tuesday, while negotiations were ongoing to secure the release of the Americans, U.S. forces responded to gunfire aboard the pirated vessel. As they responded to the gunfire, reaching and boarding the Quest, the forces discovered all four hostages had been shot by their captors. All four were pronounced dead.

During the boarding of the Quest, the reaction force was engaged by pirates on board the vessel. Two pirates died during the confrontation and 13 were captured and detained along with two pirates already in US Forces custody, U.S. Central Command said. The US Forces also found the remains of two other pirates already dead aboard the Quest. In total, it is believed 19 pirates were involved in the hijacking of the S/V Quest.

According to the S/V Quest's website, www.svquest.com, the two owners of the vessel were on an "around-the-world" trip that began in mid-December 2004. "This is planned to be an eight or ten year voyage," the website's homepage said, which identified the owners as Scott Underwood Adam and Jean Savage Adam.

"The sailing yacht was reportedly now en route from India to Mina Raysut, the industrial port of Salalah, Oman," piracy watchdog Ecoterra said on Friday. The last update on Sunday said the yacht was in Mumbai. "All is well on Quest," the couple wrote.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said that U.S. President Barack Obama was notified at 4.42 a.m. EST on Tuesday, several hours after the tragic outcome. "The President did, over the weekend on Saturday, authorize the use of force in the case of an imminent threat to those hostages," Carney said, indicating that the execution of the hostages happened unexpectedly.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also condemned the murders. "This deplorable act firmly underscores the need for continued international progress toward confronting the shared security challenge posed by piracy in the waters off the Horn of Africa," she said.

Clinton added: "Our deepest sympathies go out to the victims' families at this time. We will honor their memory by continuing to strengthen international partnerships in order to bring these maritime criminals to justice."

In recent years, Somali pirates have hijacked hundreds of ships, taking in hundreds of millions of dollars in ransom. Ships are patrolling the shipping lanes near Somalia in an effort to reduce hijackings, but the anti-piracy force has warned that attacks are likely to continue.

Somali pirates are currently holding at least 31 vessels and 694 hostages off the coast of Somalia, according to the European Union Naval Force - Somalia (EUNAVFOR). Ecoterra, however, claims that pirates are holding at least 50 vessels and 815 hostages.

Most hijackings usually end without casualties when a ransom has been paid. This, however, often takes many months. The longest ongoing hijacking, according to EUNAVFOR, is the Panama-flagged MV Iceberg 1 which was hijacked on March 29, 2010 with 24 crew members.

According to a recent study, maritime piracy cost the global economy up to $12 billion last year, with Somalia-based pirates responsible for 95 percent of the costs.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-23

Hmmmmmm, they "returned fire" and after boarding found that the hostages had been "shot by their captors?"

Must be that military RRA - Rapid Response Autopsy - that I read about somewhere...

On another note, I never have had a satisfactory answer to questions along the lines of: how can people rich enough to buy an ocean-worthy yacht and sail around for ten years be so stupid as to sail in such a location?

Reminds me of the American I saw in Mexico who, when Hummers first came out, bought one and fully optionized it - probably had $100k in it. Then he stacked luggage and surf boards and other stuff on top and drove into Mexico. Decided to spend the night in Juarez, a border town known for high crime. Had to take a bus back across the border the next day.

Hmmmmmm, they "returned fire" and after boarding found that the hostages had been "shot by their captors?"

Must be that military RRA - Rapid Response Autopsy - that I read about somewhere...

On another note, I never have had a satisfactory answer to questions along the lines of: how can people rich enough to buy an ocean-worthy yacht and sail around for ten years be so stupid as to sail in such a location?

Reminds me of the American I saw in Mexico who, when Hummers first came out, bought one and fully optionized it - probably had $100k in it. Then he stacked luggage and surf boards and other stuff on top and drove into Mexico. Decided to spend the night in Juarez, a border town known for high crime. Had to take a bus back across the border the next day.

Please advise where you found the statement, "returned fire"?

They did not deserve to be killed in this way but you have to wonder why they were sailing in an area widely known to be one of, if not the most dangerous areas of ocean in the world.

I just wonder why on earth some terrorists are allowed to kill harmless sailors ? It's time to show them that we don't live in the middleage anymore. Disgusting people they are.

It may have been a bit foolish to sail in those waters but these scum need to be taught a lesson. Everyone has the right to walk the streets or sail the oceans in relative safety and they should not be thought of as to be blamed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Desperate people do desperate things. I think its about time 'we' also showed them what will happen to them when they decide do act lawless and kill people. Go get em and do whatever we want with them. Time to show no mercy to this scum.

And, should I be banned from this website, islam is not stranger to the situation in Somalia. Avoid this part of the world, block all aids to this government until they clear this piracy problem.

Killing harmful people is severely punished in western countries, why should we allow this to happen there ?

Desperate people do desperate things.

Actually i don't think it a case of desperate people. It's a jihad against anybody who cross the waters near Somalia. These people are muslims and they just want to kill any infidel they can catch.

They did not deserve to be killed in this way but you have to wonder why they were sailing in an area widely known to be one of, if not the most dangerous areas of ocean in the world.

I just wonder why on earth some terrorists are allowed to kill harmless sailors ? It's time to show them that we don't live in the middleage anymore. Disgusting people they are.

As abhorrent as the murders are, why do you call these people terrorists?

Are they fighting for a political cause, or are they just in fact, pirates? (Who have been around an awful lot longer than terrorists).

On the subject of returning fire- I also saw something today- a quote from a pirate leader who was suggesting that the hostages were murdered because the pirates were being pursued, it was something along the lines of "don't expect to find hostages alive anymore if you pursue us". Sorry I can't remember the source but I'm pretty sure it was a quote here on TV.

RIP the victims of this horrible crime.

Are they fighting for a political cause, or are they just in fact, pirates? (Who have been around an awful lot longer than terrorists).

In my view people who attack sailors, kidnap them and then kill them are terrorists at least gangsters. When it's an isolate event it's called piracy, but now near Somalia it happens more than often. These people are clearly islamist terrorists.

Just want to expand their territory, expand the religion of peace tolerance and love. Sorry, I'll not swallow the lie.

According to their plans they were staying as far away from Somalia as they could. These pirates are taking over the entire approach to the Suez canal.

A map of their planned route can be seen here.

http://svquest.com/2011_travels.htm

ok, here's my idea. Take the living pirates captured from the vessel, dress in black coveralls with large white "pirate" printed on the back and front, and drop them off at the dock from which they came, from the door of a helicopter, at 1000 ft altitude. Just perhaps a deterrent for those aspiring pirates of the future. Rinse, repeat. Yawn...

ok, here's my idea. Take the living pirates captured from the vessel, dress in black coveralls with large white "pirate" printed on the back and front, and drop them off at the dock from which they came, from the door of a helicopter, at 1000 ft altitude. Just perhaps a deterrent for those aspiring pirates of the future. Rinse, repeat. Yawn...

Sounds like a good solution, provided we don't waterboard them first.

In my view people who attack sailors, kidnap them and then kill them are terrorists at least gangsters. When it's an isolate event it's called piracy, but now near Somalia it happens more than often. These people are clearly islamist terrorists.

Just want to expand their territory, expand the religion of peace tolerance and love. Sorry, I'll not swallow the lie.

So, according to you an act of piracy must be an isolated incident, any more than that then it's terrorism. Does this only apply to piracy is someone who commits multiple illegal acts always a terrorist too?

The only ideoly these pirates chase is the dollar sign. They are nothing more than criminals.

the quote is here -

"As they responded to the gunfire, reaching and boarding the Quest, the forces discovered all four hostages had been shot by their captors," Gen James Mattis of US Central Command Commander said in a statement.

no mention of 'returning fire', but the word is 'responded'.

the quote is here -

"As they responded to the gunfire, reaching and boarding the Quest, the forces discovered all four hostages had been shot by their captors," Gen James Mattis of US Central Command Commander said in a statement.

no mention of 'returning fire', but the word is 'responded'.

Yes, I noticed that. However there is a very large difference between the two.

Returning fire means you shoot back at whoever shot at you first.

Responding to gunfire could mean a multitude of actions, ranging from getting out of a chair to actually moving to the source of the gunfire.

The US Navy responded to the shots from the yacht by going to the yacht and taking the appropriate action. It would have been irresponsible for the Navy to shoot back since they did not know what the situation was at the time.

The original poster was disingenuous when he said they "returned fire".

Edited by chuckd

There are many dangerous waters all over the world for sailors. The Straights of Malacca are notorious. Sir Peter Blake was killed in Brazil. Piracy is a worldwide problem....and sailors like these kind people were well aware of the dangers. RIP.

P.S. I did hear on the news they feel the pirates were spooked by 3 navy ships shadowing them...that would spook me for sure as I have been in a sailboat with a frigate bearing down on me. No fun!

Yes, I noticed that. However there is a very large difference between the two.

Returning fire means you shoot back at whoever shot at you first.

Responding to gunfire could mean a multitude of actions, ranging from getting out of a chair to actually moving to the source of the gunfire.

The US Navy responded to the shots from the yacht by going to the yacht and taking the appropriate action. It would have been irresponsible for the Navy to shoot back since they did not know what the situation was at the time.

The original poster was disingenuous when he said they "returned fire".

i agree with you

Edited by steve187

U.S. CENTRAL COMMAND

U.S. forces respond to gunfire aboard the S/V Quest

CENTCOM Public Affairs

TAMPA, Fla. (Feb. 22, 2011) — At approximately 1 a.m. EST today, while negotiations were ongoing to secure the release of four American hostages, U.S. forces responded to gunfire aboard the pirated vessel (S/V) Quest. As they responded to the gunfire, reaching and boarding the Quest, the forces discovered all four hostages had been shot by their captors. Despite immediate steps to provide life-saving care, all four hostages ultimately died of their wounds.

"We express our deepest condolences for the innocent lives callously lost aboard the Quest," said Gen James N. Mattis, U.S. Central Command Commander.

During the boarding of the Quest, the reaction force was engaged by pirates on board the vessel. Two pirates died during the confrontation and 13 were captured and detained along with two pirates already in US Forces custody. The US Forces also found the remains of two other pirates already dead aboard the Quest. In total, it is believed 19 pirates were involved in the hijacking of the S/V Quest.

US Forces have been closely monitoring the S/V Quest for approximately 3 days, once it became known to be pirated.

Four U.S. Navy warships comprised the response force dedicated to recovering the S/V Quest:

the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65),

the guided-missile cruiser USS Leyte Gulf (CG 55),

the guided-missile destroyers USS Sterett (DDG 104) and

USS Bulkeley (DDG 84).

The ships are deployed to the region to conduct maritime security operations and to provide support to operations Enduring Freedom and New Dawn.

Questions can be addressed to U.S. Central Command at ----Number in the link:

http://www.centcom.m...d-the-s-v-quest

LaoPo

From THE NEW YORK TIMES article in the link, below:

post-13995-0-28169900-1298476870_thumb.j

Yacht Owners, Jean and Scott Adam. Mr. Adam took a security course last year from Blue Water Rallies, the organizer of the rally he had been on.

post-13995-0-27240100-1298476679_thumb.j

Phyllis Macay and Robert A. Riggle, above, were killed along with Jean and Scott Adam, the owners of the yacht Quest.

post-13995-0-30619600-1298476700_thumb.j

The 58-foot Quest had departed from a convoy of yachts that was assembled to ward off attacks by pirates.

"There were a big number of gunmen on a small yacht," Mr. Mwangura said. "They could have been fighting over food, water, space. And with military choppers overhead, people get jumpy."

According to Vice Adm. Mark Fox, the commander of United States Naval Forces Central Command, shortly after the Quest was hijacked, the Navy began talking to the pirates' financier as well as elders from the pirates' village. Many pirate crews are paid by wealthy Somali businessmen who later get a cut of the ransom.

On Monday, two of the pirates boarded a naval destroyer that had pulled within 600 yards of the Quest to negotiate further.

But the talks seemed to unravel on Tuesday morning, when a pirate aboard the Quest fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the destroyer. Almost immediately gunfire erupted from inside the yacht's cabin, Admiral Fox said, and several pirates then stepped up to the bow with their hands up.

Fifteen Special Operations officers in two high-speed assault craft rushed in. When they boarded the Quest, they shot and killed one pirate and stabbed another.

Once aboard, the American forces found two pirates already dead, apparently killed by their comrades. The pirates were in disarray, the American military said, and a fight had broken out among them.

excerpt on page 2, from:

http://www.nytimes.c...dlines&emc=tha2

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

Admiral Provides Details of Somali Piracy Killings

By Jim Garamone

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Feb. 22, 2011 – Four pirates are dead and 15 are in custody, but not before they killed four Americans in the bloodiest piracy incident in recent history, the commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command told reporters in a conference call today.

Navy Vice Adm. Mark I. Fox, who also commands the Navy's 5th Fleet, said the pirates shot Scott and Jean Adams of California and Phyllis Mackay and Bob Riggle of Washington state. The surface vessel Quest was sailing around the world when the Somalis hijacked it off the coast of Oman.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters on Air Force One that President Barack Obama authorized the use of force if there was an imminent threat to the hostages. He said the president was informed of their deaths at 4:42 this morning.

"The loss of our fellow Americans is a tragedy," Fox said from his headquarters in Manama, Bahrain.

The admiral gave a timeline of the action. Pirates captured the vessel about 190 nautical miles southeast of Masirah Island, Oman, Feb. 18. Four U.S. Navy warships responded: the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise, the guided-missile cruiser USS Leyte Gulf and the guided-missile destroyers USS Sterett and USS Bulkeley.

The ships found the vessel and made contact with the pirates via bridge-to-bridge radio, and began a series of negotiations. Yesterday, two pirates boarded the USS Sterett to continue negotiations.

"At 8 a.m. this morning … a rocket-propelled grenade was fired by the pirates from the Quest toward the Sterett," Fox said. "Immediately thereafter, gunfire erupted from inside the cabin of the Quest. Several pirates appeared on the deck of the Quest and moved up to the bow with their hands in the air in surrender."

U.S. special operations forces closed in on the Quest in small boats and boarded the yacht. "They discovered that all four hostages had been shot by their captors," Fox said. The service members took immediate steps to provide medical care, but the four Americans died of their wounds. The boarding party also found two dead pirates aboard the vessel.

The special operations forces did not fire weapons during the boarding, Fox said.

"While clearing the vessel, two additional pirates were killed," the admiral said. "The remaining 15 suspected pirates are in U.S. custody."

Fox said two additional pirates were killed as the special operators cleared the boat. One was killed with a pistol, the other in a knife fight, the admiral said. There were no casualties to service members or damage to Navy ships. The Navy and the FBI are investigating the incident.

Fox said the perpetrators will be brought to justice.

Biographies:

Navy Vice Adm. Mark I. Fox

Related Sites:

U.S. Naval Forces Central Command/U.S. 5th Fleet/Combined Maritime Forces

Transcript

Video

Related Articles:

Somali Pirates Kill 4 Americans on Hijacked Ship

Source:

http://www.defense.g...e.aspx?id=62894

LaoPo

And, from SOMALILANDPRESS NEWS:

Last updated: February 23, 2011

Somali pirates kill four Americans to revenge comrades

BOSASSO — Somali pirates shot dead four American hostages on their private yacht near the coast of Somalia on Tuesday during an American special forces operation.

According to Gen James N. Mattis, the head of the U.S. military's Central Command, Jean and Scot Adam from California and their friends Phyllis MacKay and Bob Riggle from Washington state were gunned down by the pirates minutes before the rescue team boarded the vessel.

Gen Mattis said the American forces killed two pirates including one in a knife fight and took 15 more into custody. The U.S. government believes 19 pirates were involved in the attack and two of them were already dead on the yacht. It is not clear whether the pirates had killed them over possible disputes or they died of natural causes.

However, some local Somalis have expressed suspicious over the two mystery deaths. Some believe two pirates boarded the USS Sterett, a guided-missile destroyer to negotiate however the Americans killed them with a knife in a move to isolate and eliminate them. When the two did not return, they believe, the pirates shot the American hostages.

macay-riggle-300x168.jpg

2005: Phyllis Macay and Bob Riggle (Joe Grande, Associated Press)

In April 2009, U.S. Navy SEALs fatally shot three pirates holding an American cargo-ship captain hostage in a lifeboat in the Indian Ocean. Richard Phillips, captain of the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama and Abdulwali Abdukhadir Muse, the only surviving pirate were recovered by the Navy. Mr Muse has been sentenced to almost 34 years in prison in a federal court in New York on Wednesday morning (Feb 16).

The Somali pirates vowed to avenge the three comrades and Mr Muse, warning the U.S. military of trying to use force against them again. They insisted they would kill any Americans if U.S. warships followed them.

Two pirates based in Bandar-Bayla, a small fishing town in pirate infested-semi-autonomous region of Puntland in Somalia told Reuters they ordered the killing of the American hostages.

"Our colleagues called us this morning, that they were being attacked by a U.S. warship," Mohamud, a Somali pirate, told Reuters. "We ordered our comrades to kill the four Americans before they got killed."

Farah, the other pirate boss, said he invested US$110,000 to cover operational costs including arms, food and wages.

hassan_Abshir-217x300.jpg

Pirate boss: Hassan Abshir Farah

Many of Somalia's pirate "bosses" are based in the Puntland* region which include former and current political figures and local businessmen. The Puntland president Abdirahman Farole has cashed at least $8 million from ransoms. Other major pirate leaders include Hassan Abshir Farah, a former Somali diplomat, political veteran and Puntland region's former Interior Minister. He is said to have profited more than $10 million.

The Somali Diaspora community is the second largest single financiers of the piracy trade. Many send thousands back to Puntland region and central Somalia pay for operation costs in hopes of getting a big return (see Somali pirates take four Americans — the true face of piracy).

Local experts from the region believe the tough American stance towards pirates including the recent stiff sentencing by the Manhattan Court will not deter piracy attacks. "The issue goes beyond the young men who are recruited as pirates. Those very poor teens only want to feed their families. The international community needs to focus their attention on financiers including regional officials and foreign accounts. They should destroy all pirate ships off the coast of Somalia," Hassan Awale Dahir said.

Jean and Scott Adam were Christian couple who were sailing on their 58-foot S/V Quest around the world to handout bibles to third world nations. They were hijacked on Friday by heavily-armed men and have been sailing towards the Puntland coast of Somalia for the past four days.

President Obama who had authorized the use of force against pirates is yet to offer his condolences to the families of the victims however the U.S. military was able to issue one.

Source:

http://somalilandpre...-comrades-20386

post-13995-0-54552200-1298504026_thumb.j Puntland Region / Somalia

* Puntland Region in Somalia:

http://maps.google.c....376953&t=h&z=6

Somalia country profile

http://news.bbc.co.u...les/1072592.stm

LaoPo

US sending three more warships.

Kind of a waste IMHO

Think they will just waste fuel tugging about.

Wish instead they would send a heavily armed decoy of a yacht

Bet they would catch a lot more pirates with the decoy ;)

Yes, sure the Green berets/Seals and SAS/SBS would jump at the chance. :)

Edited by transam