Anti-Govt Protesters In Libya Loot Thai Workers' Camps

webfact

Anti-govt protesters in Libya loot Thai workers' camps

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_18555.jpg

Amid political chaos and violent suppression of anti-government protesters in Libya, rioters have looted Thai workers' camps, relatives of the victims in Thailand say.

Udon Thani native Buariwan Meechart said her husband Pranit was among a group of Thai workers stranded at a location where there was only one meal of rice soup served each day, after he and fellow workers fled their camp.

Another Udon Thani native, Pan Khanthaphaet, the mother of an unnamed Thai worker, said her son called her after Libyans robbed him of his belongings while he was driving.

"My son pleaded for his life and he was lucky that the robbers did not find his phone hidden in a trouser pocket, so he could call me," she said.

Kanthalas Prakobmitr, a Nakhon Ratchasima native, said a camp where her husband worked had been overrun by rioters. He had not called her since Tuesday, due to the lack of mobile-phone signal.

At another work camp that housed 156 Thai workers, more than 1,000 rioters looted belongings and food. The Thais contacted relatives in Thailand asking to be evacuated and immediately issued with replacement travel documents after they were destroyed in fires started by the rioters.

Unruen Bunsanong, the wife of a worker at the camp, said the Korean employer promised to transport all workers by truck to an Egyptian border town at around noon yesterday. She was unable to confirm if the group had made it to Egypt.

There are 23,600 Thais working in Libya. They will have to be evacuated over land and sea, since Libyan airspace has been closed by the government.

The largest contingent of Thai workers in Libya - more than 2,000 people - are from Nakhon Ratchasima, while Udon Thani natives make up the second largest portion, with 1,703.

The Labour Ministry, working with 30 employers, has chartered four ships, each carrying a minimum of 1,400 people, to evacuate all Thai workers to Malta. The ships are now docked at Tripoli and Benghazi, where 9,000 Thais are staying after fleeing from their camps.

The journey from Benghazi to Malta takes 14 hours, while from Tripoli it takes 12 hours, said Suphoj Bunjaroen, director-general of the Department of Employment. "The decision on when the evacuation begins rests with the Foreign Ministry," he said.

Deputy Foreign Ministry spokesman Jessada Katawethin said the ministry was almost ready to order the evacuation, which had been prolonged because it was verifying employment contracts with Thai and foreign employers to prevent possibly breaches of contract.

The Foreign Ministry is also working with authorities in Greece and Italy to secure permission to use a number of Libyan seaports owned by companies based in both countries in the sea evacuation. The workers will be transferred from Malta to the two countries, from where they will be flown back to Thailand, with possible visa leniency during the evacuation.

A number of Thai Airways planes and two Royal Thai Air Force C-130 cargo planes are ready to carry out aerial evacuations, but the military aircraft has a seven-hour fuel limit. A trip to Libya takes at least 18 hours.

"Each C-130 can carry around 90 to 110 passengers. The aerial evacuation will soon be decided and finalised by the government," Jessada said.

More than 3,000 Thais went to work in Libya last year alone. There are 33,000 Thais working in the Middle East, sending home remittances of more than Bt55 billion each year, according to a Labour Ministry report.

The Labour Ministry has set up a call-centre service, available on 085-481-0243-5 around the clock, in addition to its regular service on 1694. As of yesterday, 300 calls had been made. The situation in Libya is being constantly updated on TGN5, a 24-hour satellite channel operated by Army-run Channel 5.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-24

This is terrible. It's not going to end well over there I'm afraid. I hope these poor people get out of there safely! Kudos to all those assisting in the evacuations! Hopefully the Thai people will begin to understand that what happens in places like these do actually have an impact at home. Just wait until the nut case over there lights up the oil fields! Hopefully the US is working behind the scenes to take him out but Obama has never really showed any stones when it comes to standing up to foreign leaders. Where's Ronald Reagan when we need him!

Obama has never really showed any stones

What do you mean? He whined and apologized to Iran and the Muslim terrorists much to the disgust of American voters. THAT takes some stones. :bah:

What does this story have to do with Obama? You right-wingers never miss an opportunity for a cheap shot, do you? If you want anyone to take your comment seriously, please provide a reference for this "apology" that you claim Obama delivered to Iran or to muslim terrorists. Or better yet, try to stay on topic.

Back to the topic, it is worth asking whether these looters are "anti-government protesters" or just common criminals taking advantage of a chaotic situation.

This is terrible. It's not going to end well over there I'm afraid. I hope these poor people get out of there safely! Kudos to all those assisting in the evacuations! Hopefully the Thai people will begin to understand that what happens in places like these do actually have an impact at home. Just wait until the nut case over there lights up the oil fields! Hopefully the US is working behind the scenes to take him out but Obama has never really showed any stones when it comes to standing up to foreign leaders. Where's Ronald Reagan when we need him!

Why does the USA have to intervene and why do you expect the USA to intervene? The Europeans are the ones purchasing the oil. The Europeans were the ones selling weapons and expensive commercial goods.

There is nothing here that warrants anything more than evacuation support for US nationals. The US citizens that chose to work in a country that has a leader responsible for the murder of US nationals should not expect US troops to die on their behalf. Other westerners that went to Libya, a nation with a lengthy history of human rights abuses, did so for their own personal benefit. They wanted the big fat pay cheques and the tax benefits. They should call their own countries. Libya is of limited strategic interest to the USA at this time. It is the EU that has the worries of African illegal refugees and that has to make nice with North Africa. Let the EU crap its pants and assume the burden of peacekeeping.

The Thai government chose to support Libya. Let the Thai government deal with its decisions.

Edited by geriatrickid

There are 33,000 Thais working in the Middle East, sending home remittances of more than Bt55 billion each year, according to a Labour Ministry report.

That's $55,000 per year per person they're sending back, they can't be making that much.

Better let the Arabs clean up their own mess. Most wars in the Middle East (and most other places) that have involved Americans or other westerners have ended in disaster and/or years of killings and violence.

"More than 3,000 Thais went to work in Libya last year alone. There are 33,000 Thais working in the Middle East, sending home remittances of more than Bt55 billion each year, according to a Labour Ministry report."

So......the average amount sent home by a Thai working in the Middle East is more than 1,666,667 Baht per annum. That's equivalent to US$55,556.

How is it possible that Thai workers, after living expenses, have that kind of disposable income?

Me thinks the Labour Ministry might be fibbing.

Why does the USA have to intervene and why do you expect the USA to intervene? The Europeans are the ones purchasing the oil. The Europeans were the ones selling weapons and expensive commercial goods.

There is nothing here that warrants anything more than evacuation support for US nationals. The US citizens that chose to work in a country that has a leader responsible for the murder of US nationals should not expect US troops to die on their behalf. Other westerners that went to Libya, a nation with a lengthy history of human rights abuses, did so for their own personal benefit. They wanted the big fat pay cheques and the tax benefits. They should call their own countries. Libya is of limited strategic interest to the USA at this time. It is the EU that has the worries of African illegal refugees and that has to make nice with North Africa. Let the EU crap its pants and assume the burden of peacekeeping.

The Thai government chose to support Libya. Let the Thai government deal with its decisions.

I just read Le Monde (French newspaper). Open critics on the head of Sarkozy and Berlusconi, the weapons dealer with Libya.

The EU (most of the "Northern states") tries to act for the support of Libya as a whole, blocked by the bloodbrothers of Khadafi.

The evacuation operations start, EU citizens, Turkish, Egyptians and even Chinese workers, I read nothing about the 20000 Thai workers.

Edited by lungmi

"More than 3,000 Thais went to work in Libya last year alone. There are 33,000 Thais working in the Middle East, sending home remittances of more than Bt55 billion each year, according to a Labour Ministry report."

So......the average amount sent home by a Thai working in the Middle East is more than 1,666,667 Baht per annum. That's equivalent to US$55,556.

How is it possible that Thai workers, after living expenses, have that kind of disposable income?

This obviously includes the take that the agents; probably on both ends, deduct from the wages.

Maybe 55 billion Baht is the amount for Thai workers in the entire world, not just the Middle East. 150,000 people each sending $1000 per month would work about right and is more reasonable.

Whats wrong ? you jealous over the possibility a "Thai" may be earning more than you ?....your post is completely pompous & arrogant

I know of many Thai nationals working oil and gas overseas earning a lot more than $ 55k year in disposable income....$55k in the O&G game relatively speaking is peanuts as a salary.

Whats wrong ? you jealous over the possibility a "Thai" may be earning more than you ?....your post is completely pompous & arrogant

I know of many Thai nationals working oil and gas overseas earning a lot more than $ 55k year in disposable income....$55k in the O&G game relatively speaking is peanuts as a salary.

I have no problem with anyone earning more than me. Why should I?

I will admit that pomposity, at times, is one of my less attractive traits but I can't see it being displayed in my previous post. Could you enlighten me as to the pompous aspect of my post?

I'm well aware of the money to be earned in the O&G industry. That having been said, I am surprised that there is such a high average amount of money being sent home per capita when you consider that many of the Thais working overseas are on very small salaries, albeit larger than they would be able to earn at home. There could of course be one person sending home millions of dollars which would bump up the average considerably.

Obama has never really showed any stones

What do you mean? He whined and apologized to Iran and the Muslim terrorists much to the disgust of American voters. THAT takes some stones. :bah:

What does this story have to do with Obama? You right-wingers never miss an opportunity for a cheap shot, do you? If you want anyone to take your comment seriously, please provide a reference for this "apology" that you claim Obama delivered to Iran or to muslim terrorists. Or better yet, try to stay on topic.

Back to the topic, it is worth asking whether these looters are "anti-government protesters" or just common criminals taking advantage of a chaotic situation.

Not to mention that is a total fantasy.

More than 3,000 Thais went to work in Libya last year alone. There are 33,000 Thais working in the Middle East, sending home remittances of more than Bt55 billion each year, according to a Labour Ministry report.

Remittances of more than Bt55 billion : 33,000 Thais = Bt1,666,666/person (or US$55,555)! Hey, pay must be really good in the Middle East. :lol:

Some certainly do make that much. But I get the feeling that the thousands of Thais working in South Korean construction camps in Libya aren't quite so highly paid.

Remittances of more than Bt55 billion : 33,000 Thais = Bt1,666,666/person (or US$55,555)! Hey, pay must be really good in the Middle East. :lol:

Those figures may also include profits from Thai construction companies working over there?

Whilst I agree with you about Europe being more culpable than the U.S with regards to Libya I would suggest that he who lives in glass houses should not throw stones. I am of course referring to the consistent U.S stance of propping up tyrants and despots to further her own ends. From the Shah of Iran to the Saud dynasty the U.S fingerprints are all over the place and when Saudi Arabia blows up, as one day it surely will I just hope you have a republican in charge instead of the dithering Obamatron or the whole world will go down the plug hole.

Now they know what its like to be robbed and cheated on as foreigners by the locals. B) Wow that's a turnaround.
Ah, the irony is massive!
How do they say in Thai: 'Som nam na'? :lol:

<deleted>.

mca, you summed them up very well. There really are some low life racist <deleted> on this website.

mca, you summed them up very well. There really are some low life racist <deleted> on this website.

Really??? Don't you think all the Thai scumbags should be marked with the "<deleted>" description. I bet there are a lot more of them in Thailand then there was among the Libyan "protesters".

And where did you find any racist comments in this topic?

LOL at Ronald Reagan.

Qaddafi has remained in power for two decades after Reagan left office. I'm pretty sure the last laugh was on the guy who died an incompetent, confused Alzhy.

And you really think the world will be better off by "taking out" Qaddafi?

There are only 2 possible results when he leaves and neither are very appealing...

1) A complete mess with multiple groups fighting each other.

2) A period of many, many years of a UN or other some other international force overseeing a the building of a fledgling "democracy."

I guess #2 is preferred but what happens if there are power vacuums in multiple countries in the region? Will the developed powers want to spend the money (and use the people) required to secure the whole region?

Really??? Don't you think all the Thai scumbags should be marked with the "<deleted>" description. I bet there are a lot more of them in Thailand then there was among the Libyan "protesters".

And where did you find any racist comments in this topic?

Well, how about your comment? Actually, if you read what I said, it referred to racists on this website, not this particular subject.

Don't you think that comparing scams and rip-offs by Thai con men with being attacked and robbed by armed thugs and looters is a tad ridiculous anyway?