Mcdonalds Comes To Chiang Rai

pomchop

Just drove by the new Central Plaza shopping center today and saw big McDonalds sign on one of the new buildings.

So I guess for better or worse Chiang Rai will soon have it's first ever McDonalds.....frankly not sure if that is good or bad news.

I guess Starbucks can't be far behind.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good to me. I'm a Maccas junkey and I hope Starbucks shows as well plus a Cineplex where a westerner can go to and not get treated like a POS eg: Big C cinema

There is going to be a five screen cineplex there as well. ...also a Tops supermarket and some new sporting goods and a new electronics supermart plus of course Robinsons.... I just hope the Thai gals rears don't start looking like the American versions from too many supersized fries.

I've mentioned McDonalds before and been flamed and then flamed again :(

Any way, I do like the McD's breakfast and a couple of observations: 1) Most of the customers are Thais; even the locals can have Big Mac attacks,; 2) I like thai food but sometimes when I see the rancid oil used, I'm thinking hmmmm, maybe McD's is actually healthier :D

Any way, I do like the McD's breakfast and a couple of observations: 1) Most of the customers are Thais; even the locals can have Big Mac attacks,; 2) I like thai food but sometimes when I see the rancid oil used, I'm thinking hmmmm, maybe McD's is actually healthier :D

I'm quite partial to a 'big breakfast' myself. Hopefully they'll being doing em. I can imagine a trip to town, a quick breckie and off on a Bike ride somewhere.

As for being healthy, I'm pretty sure they are all well-balanced meals in moderation. The coffee has medicinal affects on me too.

Let em flame away ;) ...... MFCS Limeys :D

Edited by jubby

Wow!. This is the best news of the day for me. LOOKOUT!!!!!!!

That is one of the things I miss the most here. I don't tend to take all of my meals there, but when I want a Big Mac, I WANT one. Too bad this area's McD's doesn't serve the Quarter Pounder.

Edited by kandahar

Wow!. This is the best news of the day for me. LOOKOUT!!!!!!!

That is one of the things I miss the most here. I don't tend to take all of my meals there, but when I want a Big Mac, I WANT one. Too bad this area's McD's doesn't serve the Quarter Pounder.

I thought a McRoyal was a Quarter Pounder, just a Euro speech name?

I most definitely like Macca's hash browns, french fries & McDolphin burgers uh I mean Fillet of Fish :lol:

When I pull an all nighter at Suvarnabhumi (arrive late, fly out early) I head for Burger King in domestic departures and have the omelette and pork breakfast.

A delicious ground pork patty, a tasty omelette and all these mini hash browns that are absolutely great.

It's about the only fast food that really does it for me. It's a real test of will not to order two.

When I pull an all nighter at Suvarnabhumi (arrive late, fly out early) I head for Burger King in domestic departures and have the omelette and pork breakfast.

A delicious ground pork patty, a tasty omelette and all these mini hash browns that are absolutely great.

It's about the only fast food that really does it for me. It's a real test of will not to order two.

no wonder you were late for your flight mate - blame bk :lol: (sorry couldnt resist that one)

no wonder you were late for your flight mate - blame bk :lol: (sorry couldnt resist that one)

I'll have to go back and check that topic, I do enjoy it when I get them stamping their feet in self righteousness and insisting big business can do no wrong.

Hope Bugger King and Subway will join the group of fast food outlets.

Any truth to Sizzler and Fuji restaurants coming to Central CR ?

More locals have been seen dining at these two restaurants than tourists.

Love the Salad Bar at Sizzler. Sorry to say that CR has no selection of Salads on offer. The best we can curently get is a half arsed single serving small plate assortment at the ???? Pizza Company.

I notice the locals seem to love the salad bars more than the expats.

Hope Bugger King and Subway will join the group of fast food outlets.

Any truth to Sizzler and Fuji restaurants coming to Central CR ?

More locals have been seen dining at these two restaurants than tourists.

Love the Salad Bar at Sizzler. Sorry to say that CR has no selection of Salads on offer. The best we can curently get is a half arsed single serving small plate assortment at the ???? Pizza Company.

I notice the locals seem to love the salad bars more than the expats.

Pizza Company became a lot less interesting to me when they dropped their salad bar. And it really wasn't all that great. One day, maybe CR will have a fine salad bar.

I expect Mc D's will give the farang owned restaurants a run for their money . Personally I dont like the burgers they serve but the bacon and egg Mc Muffins are really good. So are the Vanilla Shakes.

I will enjoy and adda few extra pounds for sure :D

Have to agree there. local farang resturants are on the whole a bit pricey! Competition is what we need...MMMMMMMM

I expect Mc D's will give the farang owned restaurants a run for their money . Personally I dont like the burgers they serve but the bacon and egg Mc Muffins are really good. So are the Vanilla Shakes.

I will enjoy and adda few extra pounds for sure :D

Vanilla Shakes? here in Thailand?

Can’t remember the last time I ate in a McDonald’s.

McDonalds in most places in USA (not airports) have had a dollar menu for several years where you can get a double cheeseburger or several other items like breakfast sandwiches etc for one dollar (30 baht)....actually pretty good deal. But i have noticed the McD's in Bangkok and other places in Thailand sure don't have any prices that low. Actually seems their prices are higher here than most McD's in USAl When you consider that their cost of construction, rent, and cost of labor here is way way less I suspect the franchise owners in Thailand are making a very nice profit. Granted they might have to pay bit more for beef but I suspect many Thais order chicken and pork which is likely way less costly here than in USA or the west.

Anyway, I would guess Burger King can't be far behind in finding a location in Chiang Rai as I expect the new McD's here will be packed at least in the beginning and probably forever. I am surprised that it took McD's this long to open in CR.

Love McD's in Auckland city centre, as for a few years I went in most mornings to read the paper, have my bagel and free seniors coffee, chat to other regulars. Staff are so nice. It fills a much needed gap in NZ where food is pricey. On rainy day it provides a kinda refuge for many of the homeless, lonely, unemployed too so they're acting as a social service.

When travelling around NZ, it's a good standby as one knows exactly what one is going to get and the general price range. Do go in Bangkok as there are too many other well-priced tasty options.

I'm quite partial to a 'big breakfast' myself. Hopefully they'll being doing em. I can imagine a trip to town, a quick breckie and off on a Bike ride somewhere.

As for being healthy, I'm pretty sure they are all well-balanced meals in moderation. The coffee has medicinal affects on me too.

Pancakes and sausage at my house for breakfast this morning. Where are you? You've got about ten minutes left before your share gets eaten.

Pancakes and sausage at my house for breakfast this morning. Where are you? You've got about ten minutes left before your share gets eaten.

bad directions? I've heard they can cost you 10 minutes :)