Mcdonalds Comes To Chiang Rai

pomchop

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not like the food of McD's very much at all . Years ago as a customs and excise officer , my father used to turn away trucks full of what he classed as substandard meat for human consumption , it was headed for the McD's plant .

BUT, I spent a few weeks a while ago in Isan, living off of boiled rice, fruit ,bugs and the odd bit of chicken and fish. I was really desperate for some good food , so when I got back to Bangkok, Instead of going to the nearest decent restaurant for a steak or whatever, I went into McD's for a burger and fries, purely psychological . :D

Bad news :bah:, well bad news for me cos they should have opened up in Ubon so l can have my BigMac x 2 fix. Sad l know but l have emailed McD's four times now to see if they have plans in my area but only one reply stating my question will be passed on to the relevant department, two months now to translate my two liner. :rolleyes:

I wonder if they will have the huge McDonald's Arch on the grounds in front. It seems very popular with the youthful couples these days to get their pictures taken standing under the arch of that big letter "M", kissing each other between the legs. Could become a real tourist thing.

I used to own several Wimpy Bar's in the UK pre-runner there for Mc, Patties, cooked on a griddle same as Mc if any of you had seen the FAT the collected in the drip tray's you would never eat another one, it used to be put in a one gallon "English" tin and disposed of every hour or so. By he end of the day it was a solid mass. That what go's inside you. Just another reason why the peep's in the US are so FAT and die of heart problem's. I wont go down the road of what sort of meat go's into them. Just plod along and DIE young. Enjoy.

I wonder if they will have the huge McDonald's Arch on the grounds in front. It seems very popular with the youthful couples these days to get their pictures taken standing under the arch of that big letter "M", kissing each other between the legs. Could become a real tourist thing.

Note to self: Watch your wording more carefully in the future.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In one of the Ducati forums I frequent, I mentioned to a poster that there are some words that should not be placed in the same sentence.

He crapped himself when he realised what he had posted

Married with a 17YO DAUGHTER.....she wants to ride my Monster!
:blink: Edited by Garry

Note to self: Watch your wording more carefully in the future.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In one of the Ducati forums I frequent, I mentioned to a poster that there are some words that should not be placed in the same sentence.

He crapped himself when he realised what he had posted

Married with a 17YO DAUGHTER.....she wants to ride my Monster!
:blink:

Yup

I used to own several Wimpy Bar's in the UK pre-runner there for Mc, Patties, cooked on a griddle same as Mc if any of you had seen the FAT the collected in the drip tray's you would never eat another one, it used to be put in a one gallon "English" tin and disposed of every hour or so. By he end of the day it was a solid mass. That what go's inside you. Just another reason why the peep's in the US are so FAT and die of heart problem's. I wont go down the road of what sort of meat go's into them. Just plod along and DIE young. Enjoy.

Sounds like you were purchasing fat with a little meat mixed in. I hope you weren't charging meat prices to the customers.

Prefer flame grilled if possible eg: Burger King, but still like Maccas. Burger King's fries suck by the way.

elbows and arse holes, was a term that was used from one of my buddies who worked at an abattoir, for filler that was used for cheap sausage mix. :lol:

Edited by Garry

Interesting note (to me, anyway).

Total revenue for McDonald's worldwide in 2010 is approx. $22,700,000,000.00 (That's BILLION)

Total population of USA is approx. 310,000,000.

Divide population into total revenue and you get around $7.00. That would be seven dollars spent by every citizen of the USA on McDonald's per year. A lot of that revenue came from McD's operated in other countries. It also came from rents and licensing agreements. It came from a lot of other sources. So, food sales doesn't total up to the twenty two billion. It would be less, which would make the seven dollar figure less, per person. But at seven dollars per year spent per person in the USA, McD'd isn't making the people fat. Contributing in some cases, sure, but not primarily responsible. I know many people spend a lot each year at McD's. Others don't spend anything. Overall, McD's is just a tiny fraction of the problem.

It isn't McDonald's that is making people fat. It is a lifestyle in general. There are plenty of huge, fat people that cannot stomach McDonald's. It is the lifestyle. Most people in the US don't cook these days. Microwave meals are the way to go. Bags of chips and other snacks are the way to go. Anything that involves cooking is out. Vegetables are out. Too much work to make salad. Too much work to wash and steam veggies. Easy food is the way. True, McDonald's is easy food and not the healthiest. McD's ISN'T to blame for obesity. Until the figures can support the argument, it is an erroneous argument to put forward.

Now, the press loves a whipping boy and if one press organization crosses the line then all the rest follow. intheclub.gif

There is no reason for us, as individuals get on the phony information bandwagon. Better to have your own opinions based on your own research.

The more modern the times, the lazier we get as a species. Closing all of the McD's in the world would not put a dent in the obesity rate. But nature has a way of fixing those things, doesn't it? Scary. Glad I'm this old. Maybe I'll pass before it happens.

Edited by kandahar

Total revenue for McDonald's worldwide in 2010 is approx. $22,700,000,000.00 (That's BILLION)

Divide population into total revenue and you get around $7.00. That would be seven dollars spent by every citizen of the USA on McDonald's per year. A lot of that revenue came from McD's operated in other countries. It also came from rents and licensing agreements. It came from a lot of other sources. So, food sales doesn't total up to the twenty two billion. It would be less, which would make the seven dollar figure less, per person. But at seven dollars per year spent per person in the USA, McD'd isn't making the people fat. Contributing in some cases, sure, but not primarily responsible. I know many people spend a lot each year at McD's. Others don't spend anything. Overall, McD's is just a tiny fraction of the problem.

It isn't McDonald's that is making people fat. It is a lifestyle in general. There are plenty of huge, fat people that cannot stomach McDonald's. It is the lifestyle. Most people in the US don't cook these days. Microwave meals are the way to go. Bags of chips and other snacks are the way to go. Anything that involves cooking is out. Vegetables are out. Too much work to make salad. Too much work to wash and steam veggies. Easy food is the way. True, McDonald's is easy food and not the healthiest. McD's ISN'T to blame for obesity. Until the figures can support the argument, it is an erroneous argument to put forward.

Now, the press loves a whipping boy and if one press organization crosses the line then all the rest follow. intheclub.gif

There is no reason for us, as individuals get on the phony information bandwagon. Better to have your own opinions based on your own research.

The more modern the times, the lazier we get as a species. Closing all of the McD's in the world would not put a dent in the obesity rate. But nature has a way of fixing those things, doesn't it? Scary. Glad I'm this old. Maybe I'll pass before it happens.

Not sure what if anything this means but some semi interesting "facts"....

Fast food facts from the Super Size Me Web site

• Each day, 1 in 4 Americans visits a fast food restaurant
  • In 1972, we spent 3 billion a year on fast food - today we spend more than $110 billion
  • McDonald's feeds more than 46 million people a day - more than the entire population of Spain
  • French fries are the most eaten vegetable in America
  • You would have to walk for seven hours straight to burn off a Super Sized Coke, fry and Big Mac
  • In the U.S., we eat more than 1,000,000 animals an hour
  • 60 percent of all Americans are either overweight or obese
  • One in every three children born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their lifetime
  • Left unabated, obesity will surpass smoking as the leading cause of preventable death in America
  • Obesity has been linked to: Hypertension, Coronary Heart Disease, Adult Onset Diabetes, Stroke, Gall Bladder Disease, Osteoarthritis, Sleep Apnea, Respiratory Problems, Endometrial, Breast, Prostate and Colon Cancers, Dyslipidemia, steatohepatitis, insulin resistance, breathlessness, Asthma, Hyperuricaemia, reproductive hormone abnormalities, polycystic ovarian syndrome, impaired fertility and lower back pain
  • The average child sees 10,000 TV advertisements per year
  • Only seven items on McDonald's entire menu contain no sugar
  • Willard Scott was the first Ronald McDonald - he was fired for being too fat
  • McDonald's distributes more toys per year than Toys-R-Us
  • Diabetes will cut 17-27 years off your life
  • McDonald's: "Any processing our foods undergo make them more dangerous than unprocessed foods"
  • The World Health Organization has declared obesity a global epidemic
  • Eating fast food may be dangerous to your health
  • McDonald's calls people who eat a lot of their food "heavy users"
  • McDonald's operates more than 30,000 restaurants in more then 100 countries on 6 continents
  • Before most children can speak they can recognize McDonald's
  • Surgeon General David Satcher: "Fast food is a major contributor to the obesity epidemic"
  • Most nutritionists recommend not eating fast food more than once a month
  • 40 percent of American meals are eaten outside the home
  • McDonald's represents 43% of total U.S. fast food market

Just curious mate, but what portion of the total revenue are you getting you $7 per head (310,000,000) => $2,170,000,000.00 from $22,700,000,000.00. Doesn't seem like a lot and I understand it's based on overhaul US statistics. As you say not everyone in eats the product in the US or any other country for that matter. I would have thought that the figure would have been a lot higher per capita USA. Interesting though.

Most processed foods contain sugar in large quantities, McD's can be blamed to a degree but I think Coca-Cola (Coke) and any other fizzy soft drink that kids drink is a major factor in global weight issues. Fast food also with all the other outlets such as Pizza Hut, KFC, Wendy's and others do their fair share in mass producing crap , enjoyable crap :D

Now there's a guy who get his own facts. You're right. It is more like $73.00 a year, per capita. I typed wrong into the little calculator.

Still, not enough per year (not NEARLY enough) to be THE cause of obesity in the USA.

That makes more sense, considering the rest of the world is part of that overall figure. As far as I am aware, the US is still the biggest consumer of McD's, so leaving 10-12% of the total revenue for the rest of the world, kind of makes sense.

Most processed foods contain sugar in large quantities, McD's can be blamed to a degree but I think Coca-Cola (Coke) and any other fizzy soft drink that kids drink is a major factor in global weight issues. Fast food also with all the other outlets such as Pizza Hut, KFC, Wendy's and others do their fair share in mass producing crap , enjoyable crap :D

If I remember correctly, the FANTA brand had one of the highest sugar contents of soft drinks (soda's) sold in Australia.

quick google search..........

Interesting info: The 7 Mosr Sugar Filled Drinks / one teaspoon of granulated sugar is 4 grams (remember that number when reading the link info). Fanta is 5th and Coca Cola isn't even on the list..surprisingly.!

Ms Taco said she did not see any McDonald's signage or logo's anwhere at the new Central.

Only a sign Central Plaza, and some signage on the outside wall for Tops and Robinsons.

Where are the signs for Mickey D's ?

Don't think the quotes of facts about McDonalds was a true study and report.

Appears as if just an opinion of the source of the so called facts.

Anyone that has ever been to the States knows that McDonalsd does not have a 60%-70% share of fast food outlets there. Probably IMO more like 15%-20% maximum.

Bugger King, Subway, Wendy's, Taco Bell, KFC, Weinerschnitzel, Del Taco, White Castle, Pizza Hut, Domino's, local greasy spoons and roach coaches.

BTW America is not the only fat country. Look at the European's, many Latin countries, most western countries are over weight and that is because of lifestyle an lack of disipline in schools and Physical Education requiremtns that many of us ol folk grew up with.

Edited by TacoBoy

Ms Taco said she did not see any McDonald's signage or logo's anwhere at the new Central.

Only a sign Central Plaza, and some signage on the outside wall for Tops and Robinsons.

Where are the signs for Mickey D's ?

Don't think the quotes of facts about McDonalds was a true study and report.

Appears as if just an opinion of the source of the so called facts.

Anyone that has ever been to the States knows that McDonalsd does not have a 60%-70% share of fast food outlets there. Probably IMO more like 15%-20% maximum.

Bugger King, Subway, Wendy's, Taco Bell, KFC, Weinerschnitzel, Del Taco, White Castle, Pizza Hut, Domino's, local greasy spoons and roach coaches.

BTW America is not the only fat country. Look at the European's, many Latin countries, most western countries are over weight and that is because of lifestyle an lack of disipline in schools and Physical Education requiremtns that many of us ol folk grew up with.

There is a big banner inside the central plaza wall on the first big building that says MCDONALDS and has the Golden Arches.....go look for yourself.

Not doubting you Pomchop. <BR>If the sign is on an inside wall and not so visable to the passing traffic, then the misses would not be able to see it.<BR>BTW, I am out of the country at the moment, and I did look myself at some pics on the Plazza's web site of construction posted recently and was not able to see any signs even from aerial views.<BR>But thanks for verifying Pomchop. Chiang Rai is due for a McDonald's.<BR>Was also unable to locate McD's as one of the on-line listed vendors.<BR>Will probably be other suprise vendors there. Says they are targeting the Mall opening April 1st.

post-119753-0-73037500-1298711765_thumb.

post-119753-0-92484000-1298711792_thumb.

Edited by TacoBoy

Not doubting you Pomchop. <BR>If the sign is on an inside wall and not so visable to the passing traffic, then the misses would not be able to see it.<BR>BTW, I am out of the country at the moment, and I did look myself at some pics on the Plazza's web site of construction posted recently and was not able to see any signs even from aerial views.<BR>But thanks for verifying Pomchop. Chiang Rai is due for a McDonald's.<BR>Was also unable to locate McD's as one of the on-line listed vendors.<BR>Will probably be other suprise vendors there. Says they are targeting the Mall opening April 1st.

The banner just went up couple of days ago and yes is inside the construction site but you can see it clearly through the opening...appears that McD's has the prime position in the mall right up front. Not sure why they didn't have it on the outside wall where it says Tops, Robinsons, etc...anyway, drove by again today and it is there for sure.