One Vs Two Story Houses

scorpio1945

I have been dragged and kicking to looking at houses lately. Although I prefer a one story, there are a lot of two story houses around. For you that have them, do the second story bedrooms impose a large AC load during the warmer months, since warm air rises. Or is it reasonable, all things considered..

Thanks

Two story house, upstairs is all 1.5" - 2" hardwood & teak floors & (slightly thinner) walls, high ceilings & plenty of windows for air flow, no A/C ( except for guests downstairs), fans only.

VF's house has a very high ceiling by design and lots of windows. I would imagine that it would take a very hot day to come close to heating up the interior of his house where it would be uncomfortable. Your thought's VF?

Edited by Garry

I have a friend that built a 2 story house years ago. He placed kitchen, dining area, livingroom and a workarea upstairs and with a quite big balcony. Downstairs are bedroom and guestroom.

So he and his family have a good view from upstairs, nice sitting on the balcony in the late afternoon-evening, same when having guests.

And the bedrooms-guestroom be much cooler when they are downstairs.

So that might be a good idea if you have to have a 2 story house.

:huh::unsure:

It's cooler upstairs because you get more breeze.

We have aircon in some rooms downstairs but the main bedroom is upstairs and never needs more than a fan.

We have the windows open and rarely have a problem with mosquitoes, for some reason they don't normally fly more than a certain distance from the ground.

Strange but true.

Picture%20006%20%285%29.jpg

Edit: This pic was taken the day we moved in, it's not quite that sparse now.

Edited by sceadugenga

While upstairs may be slightly warmer and require a little more elec for AC in my opinion having a wonderful view from a front and rear balcony more than makes up for it.

Plus no or very few mosquitoes ever make it to upstairs. The additional electric expense is peanuts and yes you do get bit more breeze upstairs on the days you don't need A/C. No way would i trade for a one story house as I love my views way too much.

Have a Bedroom upstairs and one downstairs also. different building materials will also effect the heat greatly.

you just retire to the coolest bedroom depending on many factors, time of year, time of day, cool breezes, etc. etc..

Should only need Aircon here in CR occasionally this way.

Oh, and if you have a nice view, don't always count on it remaining :D

Edited by jubby

Have a Bedroom upstairs and one downstairs also. different building materials will also effect the heat greatly.

you just retire to the coolest bedroom depending on many factors, time of year, time of day, cool breezes, etc. etc..

Should only need Aircon here in CR occasionally this way.

Oh, and if you have a nice view, don't always count on it remaining :D

Are we talking about the same house here? B)

scorpio1945

If that is your date of birth, how much longer will you be able to keep going upstairs.. your a couple of years older than me and now 7 years on wish I had built a single story house..

As for air con never use upstairs or downstairs.... 5 open windows in the master bedroom + fan is just fine for me in summer, anyway thought it was a lot colder up there ? OK live only 50 km from BKK but in the winter often wish I had brought with me a electric blanket.

scorpio1945

If that is your date of birth, how much longer will you be able to keep going upstairs.. your a couple of years older than me and now 7 years on wish I had built a single story house..

As for air con never use upstairs or downstairs.... 5 open windows in the master bedroom + fan is just fine for me in summer, anyway thought it was a lot colder up there ? OK live only 50 km from BKK but in the winter often wish I had brought with me a electric blanket.

I'm lucky as my two story house has completely separate living quarters both up and down...so i figure if i get to the point that i can't deal with stairs i will simply move downstairs and use upstairs for visitors....problem solved.

Second floor would be out of the question for me as I grow older. Facts of life dictate that sooner or later, I won't be up to climbing stairs and neither will she.

If you're in an area that suffers the 100 to 500 year floods, then two stories makes sense. The weather is getting more and more fickle as time goes on and it is just a matter of time. If you had the option of moving all of your stuff to the second floor and just hosing out the downstairs afterwards and moving back in, then you would be better off than those with one story. Having lost one home to a fire, one to a tornado and three to divorces, I'm not into setting myself up for such work. I wouldn't bother with living in a flood plain. And if you study the topography and the geology of this place, you see that indeed, there is a lot of this area that is flood plain. It has just been too long ago to remember.

Building a "typical" house in CR would be out of the question, too. Just too many empty houses, of every configuration, out there already and so many of them on offer for less than the cost of buying the land and constructing them. Too many broken hearts and broken dreams out there and the pieces are for sale cheap enough. I also can't imagine going through the hassle of building a typical Thai house. I suspect that would add ten years to me. I haven't the patience for the way things get done here and I don't need that much aggravation. This is an easy life. I wouldn't want to throw such a wrench into it now. Someone with a different personality would see it differently. However, I spent most of my life as a fighter and I'm ready to live differently now. I could see myself building a small, comfortable house in a style much different than typical Thai. It would be pretty easy to lay out the steel frame walls on a concrete slab, weld them up, stand them up, lock them together and apply Smartwood and insulation. Same with the rafters. Lay them out, weld them up and set them on top. Easy and quick. But they don't do things that way here. I do, but THEY don't. It would be easy to start a house and have it livable in four to five weeks and take your time finishing it out on the inside.

Speaking of rafters makes me think of typical Thai roofs. Who with sense wants a concrete roof sitting over themselves and their family? This is an earthquake area. Having 10 tons of little concrete plates looking for a place to go when the ground shakes isn't wise, in my mind. And have you seen how they weld the rafters together here? No joint plates; just a few gobs of weld here and there. So, the rafters WILL fail quickly, and more quickly than that, if they have all of that concrete sitting on top of them. There ARE other roofing materials available.

One story or two? One story, for all the right reasons. Want a view? Build on a hill top and enjoy the view and the breeze into old age.

Large or small? The smaller, the better. Upkeep, cleaning, initial cost and re-sale price all figure into that decision. I don't want my wife or I to have to work any harder than necessary to keep the place clean. We enjoy day to day life too much for that. Upkeep and maintenance use baht that we could use for something else, so, keep it small and spend less on upkeep. Resale- If the place is smaller, then it will be cheaper at sale time and therefore, be available to a much larger group of prospective buyers than the multi-million baht homes out there. If it has to sell, get it sold and go on with your life instead of being stuck with something for years, waiting for that "perfect" buyer to come along. Look around. The market is currently saturated with homes waiting for the "perfect" buyer and it stays saturated. Many of the houses on the market here today have been empty and for sale for five years or more. Aren't we all glad when it isn't us holding that property, not able to move on until we recoup that initial investment?

New construction or old? Old, if the house passes the value and safety test. New, if you can do it yourself or get a few guys together who can do it the way it should be done. Old, if you're planning on letting someone else build it, unless you don't mind the stress.

One big thought here, in my opinion, should always be, how much can you afford to lose? Bad things happen here. Spouses pass away. Farang really don't have much security here. For every bit of security provided by the laws, there are ways for others to get around that. With that in mind, the less invested, the more you have stored away somewhere else for future living. How much space and prestige do you need in a home? Different answer for different people. And certainly different answers for me, compared to how I would have thought through the same questions ten years ago. So, always try to think of what you would give for an answer ten years from now, or twenty. That is the correct answer.

Gonna build a new one? Let me know. It can be fairly easy, fairly inexpensive and if done correctly, be of greater resale value than the original cost of building. If I am still here, I would be happy to advise/oversee your little workforce on building a small structure for storing garden tools or to house a small workshop before you start building the house. You will see how quickly and less costly it can be over the traditional way of doing things here. And then, no matter which way you go, you'll already have a little building for maid's quarter's, storage, guest house or whatever you want to use it for on your place and that won't detract from the value when it is time for re-sale.

In my opinion, the original question is a big one. There are other things that figure into it that are just as important. But, for many of the reasons listed above, one story is the way to go.

For me, stairs are the killer .. perhaps literally. The 8 x 8 stairs you see here save floor space but are simply too small for my feet, especially walking downstairs. Look at the ergonomics of walking downstairs and how easily the ball of the foot can miss or slip off the tread surface.

If you go for 2 story, make sure they build stairs with a rise and run that fits your feet.

I have thought of that as well. That is how my house in the US is.

KandyMans (and other posters) statement about age versus 2 storeys is very signifcant & pertinent.

If it is going to be an issue in the forseeable future you have no choice but to go for a single storey.

The statement about mosquitoes is erroneous. Mossies live and breed at greater heights than 3 to 6 metres

above ground. You are only safe if they dont sense you or you have screens. That goes for lots of other

night time fliers if you use lights at night.

I own a 2 storey because it was there when i bought the place opposite my farm. Logistically sound.

Now I have renovated it 3 times I will be sticking with it. Yep we get mossies and the house is fully screened.

The missus and I would go for single storey 19 out of 20 times and she is much younger, agile etc.

With the staircase issue: There is a formula for treads & risers which is easily locatable on the net.

You just have to project manage your builder very tightly. They will revert to the Thai formula as

soon as you turn your back.

Finally your call but with the weird walking habits I observed in you that time in Swensens I forsee

an underground dwelling with escalator. Watch out for the flood plain.

KandyMans (and other posters) statement about age versus 2 storeys is very signifcant & pertinent.

If it is going to be an issue in the forseeable future you have no choice but to go for a single storey.

The statement about mosquitoes is erroneous. Mossies live and breed at greater heights than 3 to 6 metres

above ground. You are only safe if they dont sense you or you have screens. That goes for lots of other

I own a 2 storey because it was there when i bought the place opposite my farm. Logistically sound.

Now I have renovated it 3 times I will be sticking with it. Yep we get mossies and the house is fully screened.

The missus and I would go for single storey 19 out of 20 times and she is much younger, agile etc.

With the staircase issue: There is a formula for treads & risers which is easily locatable on the net.

You just have to project manage your builder very tightly. They will revert to the Thai formula as

Finally your call but with the weird walking habits I observed in you that time in Swensens I forsee

I guess the mosquitoe issue depends on where you live. I am in rice paddy area with no shortage of water around and yet for some reason very rarely ever have a mosquito on the second floor of my house even with no screens and windows and doors open. Sometimes I might get a few down on the lower level or in the yard but almost NEVER upstairs. I don't know why but sure am happy about that.

Sure you can build a house on a hill and get a nice view but sometimes being on a hill can present other problems like drilling wells etc. Bottom line is i absolutely love my two story house with a nice balcony in the front and another in the rear with great views both directions and able to enjoy them without getting eaten alive by the bugs. I dread when/if the time comes that i have to move downstairs as i would miss the view but that option is there for me if/when i need it. For me a two story gives me more options that a one story doesn't provide. But as they say, "up to you".

I knew I was going to get some disagreement over this.

Mosquito need water to breed, their larvae are aquatic. They'll happily breed in any ground water.

I agree that light attracts them, for the rest I can only go on my personal experience, I've lived in mosquito infested parts of the world all my life.

There's plenty seem to live at ground level, how else would you get bitten so often on the ankles?

Plenty of sources, just google.

but with the weird walking habits I observed in you that time in Swensens I forsee

You have peaked my curiousity :D please explain B)

Remember you asked for it. I just titillated your curiosity slightly however

my wife and I both commented on it.

You walked out with four fingers of your (right?) hand on your head like a roosters comb plus you

were moving your head up and down in small jerky movements also like a chicken feeding.

Last but not least your gait looked like you had a very uninhibited night at Patpong Boys Town

which I trust you enjoyed.

Good luck with your house hunting / designing etc.

but with the weird walking habits I observed in you that time in Swensens I forsee

You have peaked my curiousity :D please explain B)

Remember you asked for it. I just titillated your curiosity slightly however

my wife and I both commented on it.

You walked out with four fingers of your (right?) hand on your head like a roosters comb plus you

were moving your head up and down in small jerky movements also like a chicken feeding.

Last but not least your gait looked like you had a very uninhibited night at Patpong Boys Town

which I trust you enjoyed.

Good luck with your house hunting / designing etc.

Ahha! :D Yeh, I was checking out how much head room I had before I hit the low beam, something a small guy like me does not worry about in the US.B) Happy to add to your conversation that night..

Mosquito need water to breed, their larvae are aquatic. They'll happily breed in any ground water.

I agree that light attracts them, for the rest I can only go on my personal experience, I've lived in mosquito infested parts of the world all my life.

There's plenty seem to live at ground level, how else would you get bitten so often on the ankles?

Mossies can smell you for hundreds of yards and then home in on that smell. They are particularly attracted to the smell of your feet. Maybe that is why the ankles get it so often. I didn't Google that. It is something I learned years ago. But they do tend to "hang out" or congregate in lower areas. I see here that every day.

Mossies can smell you for hundreds of yards and then home in on that smell. They are particularly attracted to the smell of your feet. Maybe that is why the ankles get it so often. I didn't Google that. It is something I learned years ago. But they do tend to "hang out" or congregate in lower areas. I see here that every day.

Believe it or not...but relative humidity has a tremendous effect on how high (think altitude here) they can fly. When the air is 'heavy' it is a tad more viscous than the other way around. I have noticed our dog sleeping up on the outside table when they are out in hordes. I don't know if that gets him out of reach enough or not, but accounts for all the ankle biting I am getting if I don't have thick socks on. I have sat outside with thick socks on and no shirt...and lo and behold they aren't feasting on my upper torso. And they are more attracted to the color black than any other color for some reason....again an observation with our Black Lab. They swarm him when there has been a recent hatch. As far as smelling goes...I haven't a clue to that one...next time I swat one I will take it to school and look with a dissecting scope for their nose. But then olfactory nerves aren't just limited to noses, eh? Ever see a sharks' nose? Okay they do have a rostrum with nostril like openings....Hmmmmm.......I swear that they do prefer farang feasting to Thai feasting....but back to one story vs two story houses....another observation I have undertaken is that our two story house does get a better breeze upstairs, and the part that is just a mere 1 m off the ground with a crawl space...okay I can almost stand up in it...it has a double row of those vented blocks with bird screening on in the inside...and the above floor stays really, really cool. I know since hot air rises, that cool air sinks and that explains why it is so nice to the feet, but I can't help but hope it adds to the overall cooling of that part of the house. I plan to post a how-cool/hot-the-new-house-is report towards the end of May. ett

I was told they like the thinner skin of the ankles, the bloods closer to the surface.