What Are The Positives Of Living In Isaan?

midasthailand

I saw in another thread that a member was testing the water to see if there was any interest in having a TV get together for members living in Isaan and thought that since I was planning to eventually settle in Isaan, this would be a good thread title for me to get some indication of the reasons (other than the obvious) that TV members choose to live and stay in Isaan.

Since I already have a good idea as to the reasons NOT to live there, I would appreciate it if responders could give only the PROS of living in the region and refrain from disparaging comments about living in Isaan.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't live in Isaan - but have worked up in the Khon Kaen area...

People appear a lot more friendly in Khon Kaen than in Bangkok - That just may be a city phenomenon though as in any other country (i.e. people are less polite in London than in the sticks).

I live in issan khon Kaen...and wouldn't want to live any where else rolleyes.gif

You tend to meet the same falangs out and a bout .so like the you said ..it tends to be a more friendly place

Lack of tourists is good unless you have a business depending on visitors. :lol:

Few tourists also means unspoiled and friendly locals. :)

Peaceful areas unless you live in the middle of a village - or in a part time war zone :whistling:

Most things are cheaper than in touristy areas :D

If you like open space and hot weather, it's a good beginning.

You need to have some kind of red neck mentality too. Isaan is farming and gardening. The only thing missing here is there is no hunting

The other things missing up here also contribute to the list of positive reasons to live in Issan ( Missing - the growing variety of viral, barbaric, godless, fanatical, etc, etc; foriegn s c u m that have recently implanted their toxic existence in pattaya, koh samui, phuket and bangkok).

I broke down tonight (or rather my pick up did :realangry:) as I was travelling back from Makro.

I called a friend who (despite about to go into the jacuzzi :whistling:) came to pick up the significant amount of frozen stuff I had purchased.

Having spoken to my better half to alert her to the problem she passed me over to a customer of our restaurant - another friend - who immediately offered to come and tow me in. This is exactly what happened.

All this served to confirm to me that I have more genuine friends and acquaintancies in Isaan than I ever had in the UK and - would I have got the same situation sorted out in the UK ? Possibly, but here it just happened without a second thought or kiss my arse.

Would I have got the same situation sorted out in Pattaya ?

I am not so certain.

I think living in issan is better than other parts of thailand is because prices seem to be A little better.A little lower cost of living.

And in most ,I do say most, cities in issan there isn't a large farang presence.

In my opinion A large farang presence isn't good for cities in thailand.I mean they go to bars get drunk,start fighting etc.

It's just not good.

The way I believe is that we should all have good manners.But many farangs just don't.Im out A here,later,

I have lived in Isaan for the last six years in a village outside of Sisaket. Pluses are the low cost of living, low crime, easy going life style, positive attitudes towards farang, fresh food, cheap medical care, no traffic, shorts lines at immigration, inexpensive land and very friendly people. I only have Thai friends and they speak very limited English but very good people always helping and lending a hand when needed.

I first came to Isaan for a few extended volunteer stints then moved here in 2004 and have never left except for the annual 3 week State-side visits ... this is home ... Anytime I am elsewhere in Thailand cannot wait to get back... Although I am far from fluent spoken Thai I like to mix with those who do not speak English and have never even met a foreigner.

People ask: 'Why in Isaan, isn't it boring?' I answer: 'Yes -- I like Isaan because it's boring ... if you don't bring it with you, it ain't there.' (those of the female persuasion aside) ... I just tell fellow Yanks it would be the equivalent of living in Iowa.

Edited by jazzbo

The laid back rythm of life and the genuine friendliness of the people eventually gets to even a formerly 'big city' person like me. The warmth of an extended Isaan family. I step off the plane at Ubon and breathe in the (unpolluted) air and think - 'ah home again'!

Having said that I could not live in a rural community 24/7 365/365. I cherish my ability to mix it up with domestic and foreign travel and forays to the beach with the myriad family kids.

I guess in all truth if i was a multi millionaire I would be living in a big villa in the Med, with my 50 foot yacht. Going sking in the Alps and parting with the rich and famous. Unfortunitly that is not the case. So my options are limited to either a peaceful easy life in an Issan village, or a 60 hour working week for another 10/15 years. afterwhich a dog food and baked bean pension while I wait to die.. No brainer for me, but most of my friends think I have lost my mind giving up te rat race etc just to have a happy content life. Jim

• Like 1

I have to smile a bit every time I read about a new arrival writing about unfriendly Issan farangs. So not long ago I started a survey of sorts .. around the Korat area .. outside the watering holes (I don't drink).

I won't go into too much detail, but not one of the local farangs in Makro, Tesco, The Mall, outside Immigration, etc acted as if they wanted to avoid me. Okay, it's only been about 18 months.

I have had a number of folks walk up and start conversations.

The locals are pretty friendly as well. The school kids that walk past the house giggle and smile when I say hello.

Food at the "village market" is so cheap it's almost comical. Sorry, no rib-eye steaks .. but Chok Chai is not such a long trip. :)

Edited by klikster

But I think the best thing about Issan is you have the opportunity to live a very simple life. I enjoy daydreaming of the idea of having about 5 rai of farming land and living in a traditional Lanna style house. Some of land for rice, fish ponds, fruit trees, vegetables, cows, pigs, chickens, etc. However, my wifes daydream goes a little different from that.....:) .

(Of course I would probably be cursing the heat, bugs and many hardships if this daydream became reality)

You need to have some kind of red neck mentality too. Isaan is farming and gardening. The only thing missing here is there is no hunting

The other things missing up here also contribute to the list of positive reasons to live in Issan ( Missing - the growing variety of viral, barbaric, godless, fanatical, etc, etc; foriegn s c u m that have recently implanted their toxic existence in pattaya, koh samui, phuket and bangkok).

Add Chiang Mai to that list.

Add Chiang Mai to that list.

:huh:

I have lived in Isaan for the last six years in a village outside of Sisaket. Pluses are the low cost of living, low crime, easy going life style, positive attitudes towards farang, fresh food, cheap medical care, no traffic, shorts lines at immigration, inexpensive land and very friendly people. I only have Thai friends and they speak very limited English but very good people always helping and lending a hand when needed.

yea but next time they want to be BOSS....

yea but next time they want to be BOSS....

Next time.....? You've already lost if you conceive life amongst "them" as a competition.

Where I live a few k's outside Khon Kaen is the best combo for me. Peace and quiet with delightful rural scenery ( watching the local farmer from my back porch leading his buffalo to the klong to cool down of an evening never gets old ) but within 15 minutes if I so choose I could buy a Harley Davidson, X5 BMW, hi tech gizmo phone or be eating Kobe beef or imported smoked salmon.

To be honest each to their own but I couldn't live that baanok like my friend who lives about 70k from Muang Roi Et. I still like the home comforts to be fairly accessible.

No hunting?????

fish

frogs

rice rats

birds

snake

lizard

grasshopper

ants

I would class all this hunting,but i suppose u mean shooting a deer or something with a high power rifle

Only been living in Isaan for around 4 months, but am loving it.

I'm pretty young (28) so generally you'd probably expect to find me in one of the bigger centres but it's soo nice and relaxed here. Although I am admittedly in Sarakham which has a huge student population, but regardless, it's awesome.

Some of the big reasons I'm enjoying it (Compared to how I would envision living in another area):

Lack of Farang - Forces interaction with the locals, who in general are really genuine good hearted people. As a result, it helps to improve your Thai a lot too, since you're sorta forced to learn a bit more than you would otherwise.

Respect - In general, since farang are reasonably scarce here, I think we're probably treated with a bit more respect than we might get in Pattaya etc. Also since they know we're not tourists, they don't try to rip us off so much, they realise the value of repeat business.

Teaching small town - Having students from my school see me in the 7/11 and giving me a "Hello Ajarn Bri AN!!" and give me a high five is pretty cool buzz feeling. Don't think I'd ever randomly see my students in one of the bigger cities.

Lower cost of living - In general this just makes things a little more relaxed

Som Tum - It's ment to be an Isaan thing, I'm sure you can get it elsewhere in Thailand, but I don't know if it'd be as good or as easily accessable. Either way, Som Tum Thai is definitely one of my favourite Thai dishes!!

That's my 2c anyway

Edited by SlyAnimal

I'm pretty young (28) so generally you'd probably expect to find me in one of the bigger centres but it's soo nice and relaxed here. Although I am admittedly in Sarakham which has a huge student population, but regardless, it's awesome.

Some of the big reasons I'm enjoying it (Compared to how I would envision living in another area):

Lack of Farang - Forces interaction with the locals, who in general are really genuine good hearted people. As a result, it helps to improve your Thai a lot too, since you're sorta forced to learn a bit more than you would otherwise.

Respect - In general, since farang are reasonably scarce here, I think we're probably treated with a bit more respect than we might get in Pattaya etc. Also since they know we're not tourists, they don't try to rip us off so much, they realise the value of repeat business.

Teaching small town - Having students from my school see me in the 7/11 and giving me a "Hi Ajarn Bri AN!!" and give me a high five is pretty cool buzz feeling. Don't think I'd ever randomly see my students in one of the bigger cities.

Som Tum - It's ment to be an Isaan thing, I'm sure you can get it elsewhere in Thailand, but I don't know if it'd be as good or as easily accessable. Either way, Som Tum Thai is definitely one of my favourite Thai dishes!!

That's my 2c anyway

Hope you continue to enjoy your stay. Have to agree about som tam tasting better in Isaan than anywhere else (listen to the locals complain about som tam in Bangkok being "taste not nice"). But give som tam Laos a go, but leave out the crab for safety's sake; that is the real local som tam favourite!

This a pleasant thread.

Elwood

• Like 1

Teaching small town - Having students from my school see me in the 7/11 and giving me a "Hello Ajarn Bri AN!!" and give me a high five is pretty cool buzz feeling. Don't think I'd ever randomly see my students in one of the bigger cities.

That's my 2c anyway

28 years old living in Issan.

I'd imagine you never sleep alone .:)

The school where 2 of my kids go has a young falang teacher and some Chinese teachers and air conditioning.

Costs 2k baht per month

Same same outside Issan could be 20K baht per month.

Just good living and good prices. Nice and quiet, easy to make friends.

I have mainly stuck to Surin and Korat areas, not sure about the rest of Isaan. Still want to have a look around. I know here in Surin there are a lot of westerners living in the district. Most of my friends are Thai though and a few westerners. Great fishing here too. I love trekking around the Temples in the area.

We love it here and invite anyone over for a BBQ (Thai style of course!).