BANGKOK 26 April 2019 14:41
Sign in to follow this  
midasthailand

What Are The Positives Of Living In Isaan?

If the sea level rises as expected then depending on where you are in Issan you could have beach front property one day! And with no earthquakes like Chiang Mai.

But I think the best thing about Issan is you have the opportunity to live a very simple life. I enjoy daydreaming of the idea of having about 5 rai of farming land and living in a traditional Lanna style house. Some of land for rice, fish ponds, fruit trees, vegetables, cows, pigs, chickens, etc. However, my wifes daydream goes a little different from that.....:) .

(Of course I would probably be cursing the heat, bugs and many hardships if this daydream became reality)

If you like open space and hot weather, it's a good beginning.

You need to have some kind of red neck mentality too. Isaan is farming and gardening. The only thing missing here is there is no hunting

The other things missing up here also contribute to the list of positive reasons to live in Issan ( Missing - the growing variety of viral, barbaric, godless, fanatical, etc, etc; foriegn s c u m that have recently implanted their toxic existence in pattaya, koh samui, phuket and bangkok).

Add Chiang Mai to that list.

You need to have some kind of red neck mentality too. Isaan is farming and gardening. The only thing missing here is there is no hunting

The other things missing up here also contribute to the list of positive reasons to live in Issan ( Missing - the growing variety of viral, barbaric, godless, fanatical, etc, etc; foriegn s c u m that have recently implanted their toxic existence in pattaya, koh samui, phuket and bangkok).

Add Chiang Mai to that list.

:huh:

Peace and quiet. Real food. Non-dependency on fabricated and suppressive "systems". Real interaction with your surroundings.....the list could be endless.

I have lived in Isaan for the last six years in a village outside of Sisaket. Pluses are the low cost of living, low crime, easy going life style, positive attitudes towards farang, fresh food, cheap medical care, no traffic, shorts lines at immigration, inexpensive land and very friendly people. I only have Thai friends and they speak very limited English but very good people always helping and lending a hand when needed.

yea but next time they want to be BOSS....

I have lived in Isaan for the last six years in a village outside of Sisaket. Pluses are the low cost of living, low crime, easy going life style, positive attitudes towards farang, fresh food, cheap medical care, no traffic, shorts lines at immigration, inexpensive land and very friendly people. I only have Thai friends and they speak very limited English but very good people always helping and lending a hand when needed.

yea but next time they want to be BOSS....

Next time.....? You've already lost if you conceive life amongst "them" as a competition.

^ It's actually a very positive point about life in Isaan, peaceful coexistence.

Don't rock the boat and you will enjoy a peaceful life.

^ It's actually a very positive point about life in Isaan, peaceful coexistence.

Don't rock the boat and you will enjoy a peaceful life.

Good answer! Take it easy, live and let live. Who wants to be Boss? We're way beyond all that.

Where I live a few k's outside Khon Kaen is the best combo for me. Peace and quiet with delightful rural scenery ( watching the local farmer from my back porch leading his buffalo to the klong to cool down of an evening never gets old ) but within 15 minutes if I so choose I could buy a Harley Davidson, X5 BMW, hi tech gizmo phone or be eating Kobe beef or imported smoked salmon.

To be honest each to their own but I couldn't live that baanok like my friend who lives about 70k from Muang Roi Et. I still like the home comforts to be fairly accessible.

No hunting?????

fish

frogs

rice rats

birds

snake

lizard

grasshopper

ants

I would class all this hunting,but i suppose u mean shooting a deer or something with a high power rifle

Only been living in Isaan for around 4 months, but am loving it.

I'm pretty young (28) so generally you'd probably expect to find me in one of the bigger centres but it's soo nice and relaxed here. Although I am admittedly in Sarakham which has a huge student population, but regardless, it's awesome.

Some of the big reasons I'm enjoying it (Compared to how I would envision living in another area):

Lack of Farang - Forces interaction with the locals, who in general are really genuine good hearted people. As a result, it helps to improve your Thai a lot too, since you're sorta forced to learn a bit more than you would otherwise.

Respect - In general, since farang are reasonably scarce here, I think we're probably treated with a bit more respect than we might get in Pattaya etc. Also since they know we're not tourists, they don't try to rip us off so much, they realise the value of repeat business.

Teaching small town - Having students from my school see me in the 7/11 and giving me a "Hello Ajarn Bri AN!!" and give me a high five is pretty cool buzz feeling. Don't think I'd ever randomly see my students in one of the bigger cities.

Lower cost of living - In general this just makes things a little more relaxed

Som Tum - It's ment to be an Isaan thing, I'm sure you can get it elsewhere in Thailand, but I don't know if it'd be as good or as easily accessable. Either way, Som Tum Thai is definitely one of my favourite Thai dishes!!

That's my 2c anyway

Edited by SlyAnimal

I'm pretty young (28) so generally you'd probably expect to find me in one of the bigger centres but it's soo nice and relaxed here. Although I am admittedly in Sarakham which has a huge student population, but regardless, it's awesome.

Some of the big reasons I'm enjoying it (Compared to how I would envision living in another area):

Lack of Farang - Forces interaction with the locals, who in general are really genuine good hearted people. As a result, it helps to improve your Thai a lot too, since you're sorta forced to learn a bit more than you would otherwise.

Respect - In general, since farang are reasonably scarce here, I think we're probably treated with a bit more respect than we might get in Pattaya etc. Also since they know we're not tourists, they don't try to rip us off so much, they realise the value of repeat business.

Teaching small town - Having students from my school see me in the 7/11 and giving me a "Hi Ajarn Bri AN!!" and give me a high five is pretty cool buzz feeling. Don't think I'd ever randomly see my students in one of the bigger cities.

Som Tum - It's ment to be an Isaan thing, I'm sure you can get it elsewhere in Thailand, but I don't know if it'd be as good or as easily accessable. Either way, Som Tum Thai is definitely one of my favourite Thai dishes!!

That's my 2c anyway

Hope you continue to enjoy your stay. Have to agree about som tam tasting better in Isaan than anywhere else (listen to the locals complain about som tam in Bangkok being "taste not nice"). But give som tam Laos a go, but leave out the crab for safety's sake; that is the real local som tam favourite!

This a pleasant thread.

Elwood

• Like 1

Teaching small town - Having students from my school see me in the 7/11 and giving me a "Hello Ajarn Bri AN!!" and give me a high five is pretty cool buzz feeling. Don't think I'd ever randomly see my students in one of the bigger cities.

That's my 2c anyway

28 years old living in Issan.

I'd imagine you never sleep alone .:)

The school where 2 of my kids go has a young falang teacher and some Chinese teachers and air conditioning.

Costs 2k baht per month

Same same outside Issan could be 20K baht per month.

Just good living and good prices. Nice and quiet, easy to make friends.

I have mainly stuck to Surin and Korat areas, not sure about the rest of Isaan. Still want to have a look around. I know here in Surin there are a lot of westerners living in the district. Most of my friends are Thai though and a few westerners. Great fishing here too. I love trekking around the Temples in the area.

We love it here and invite anyone over for a BBQ (Thai style of course!).