Fast Growing Trees

I have just purchased a plot of land to build a house on, problem is I am boarded by houses overlooking my plot.

As I don't intend building anything for a year I want to make an immediate start on planting trees that will be of a reasonable size (not fully grown obviously) by the time we start to build, so that when building is complete we will have some privacy.

Before you ask, why did I buy land that's bordered by other houses when there is tons of land available without houses around them. Long answer short, its the plot next to my current house :D I've been putting off buying it very successfully for 6 years, but now with only 4 plots remaining on the Moo Baan I now have to buy or risk losing all my privacy. Land size is 120sq wah.

I live in CM , so if anyone knows the types of trees I should buy, where should I get them and roughly how much would they cost each, how far apart do you grown them?

In the UK I would plump for fast growing conifers, but I have some in my garden already and they don't seem fast growing at all :(

Anyway any responses would be very much appreciated

Thanks for reading

TP

you might be better off growing some bamboo as a sceening hedges and planting the trees you want behind the bamboo hedging as the trees gain the requirede height you could remove the bamboo or keep it and use the long lengths for garden tasks or harvest the shoots for the tucker box

if you want a quick screen try cassava (potato)grows quick as grass and nice foliage,chop it down and it pops up again in a few weeks , you can plant something else between for the longer term

David006 does have a good point TP. These cassava plant were 6 months old when this photo was taken.

post-91169-0-80797100-1298637765_thumb.j

Eucalyptus is easy to grow, makes nice rows, can be planted very close.

In about one year you will have your privacy.

They go for 1 Baht or so.

Where I am, they are sold roadside just about anywhere.

Good luck!

I would recomend caution with eucalyptus - many reasons that i will not elabourate on here except to call them envirionmental weeds in many/most situations. Why not consider some indiginous species such as the Teaks . or red cedars that apart from being such a beautiful trees , they can be economically benificial should you wish to remove and sell the timber. Often one large tree will do a better screening job than a hedge row (and provide other landscaping benifits as well,) but this depends on many other factors such as what else is beyond the houses - mountian views etc.

Teak are relatively quick growing at first then tend to slow a little as they fill.

Perhaps you can visit Dokmai Gardens and get a little bit more information on useful indiginous species.

There are also species of lillypillies that can make excellent informal ,or formal hedges that are moderately quick growing.

Just a few ideas to throw into the pot.

Some very helpful replies so far

Thanks all

TP

though i haven't seen much of it here i would highly recommend using Oleander. It grows from cuttings and will grow to 4-5 meters in no time fast. I had it at my house in Mexico and it is in the middle of the desert and just a little bit of water and it will thrive a lot water and heat and you really got something going the branches are relatively soft so it is easy to maintain and it gives off a huge mass of blooms that some folks want to call the poor man's roses. georgeous extremely dense at low levels with proper care and dense at all heights very fast and very easily able to start from cuttings. It is extremely poisonous (purported and extract of this is what was used on Romeo and Juliet). It is so poisonous that i t is rather safe in garden use as the taste and reaction by anybody unfortunate uenough to have put it in their mouth is so severe that they generally can't take a biggest enough amount of it to do any bad things to them. I haven't seen much but I'm sure it is around and like bouganvilla you just need one to find and get permission to get cuttings and you can have all you want. You can plant a few bouganvilla in between if in fact you want to create an impenetrable fence in the beginning by braiding your new boug branches a fence height the boug can be destroyed later at the roots if you don't want them to take over but you will have the barbed wire" effect of having their thorny mass mixed through your lovely soft and year round blooming poor man's roses Fords Forever