Visa Run To Kl

With the new Air Asia super low prices - I've been thinking about doing my visa run to KL. Anyone gone there for their visa run lately?

Is the embassy cooperative? Is it a two day thing? Suggestions for fun things to do, great restaurants to visit while there?

Thanks!

Hi chuckie,

In addition to the website..... try visiting these favourite tourists attractions:

KLCC (KL City Centre), Petronas Twin Tower, KL Tower. They are just nearby.

Also try Petaling Street...... Kuala Lumpur's China town. Also a favourite tourist

attraction. By the way, English is very widely spoken there.

Mai mee pan ha ! Enjoy your trip. Choke di nah, krap !

:o

Thai Embassy in K.L. is on Jalan Ampang No. 206 ( 206 Ampang Road ) about 2 kM down from the huge Petronas twin towers.

Visas issued in 1 working day. Applications between 9:30 and 10:30 only.

Collections between 11:30 and 12:30 only so don't be late.

Possibly the best way from the airport to the City ( about 100 kM ) is by the KLIA Express train, very fast, clean and comfortable

( the station is inside the airport, look for the lifts with the KLIA EXPRESS sign ) cost is R.M. 35 single journey (Bt 350 approx.)

Another option is the airport bus at R.M. 20 or a taxi at R.M. 90.

The Embassy is not very busy and you should be able to go through in ten to twenty minutes.

Meter taxis in K.L. are probably among, if not the cheapest in Asia at Bt 20 flagfall including first 2 kM and Bt 5 per additional kilometre ! so it's super cheap and easy to move around and the drivers are somewhat taken aback if you tell them to keep the change, like ... hey, this is unusual.

Bukit Bintang 'district' is the center of the city and there are many, many hotels of all classes in this area. To get to Bukit Bintang from the KLIA Express station just jump on the monorail when you get off the express, costs all of Bt 12.

Hard Rock is on Jalan Sultan Ismael at the Concorde Hotel, half price happy hour between 4 and 9

T.G.I.F. is on the same road ... sorry 'Jalan'.

Have a good trip, K.L. is an ultra modern, clean and organised city albeit

without Bangkok's 'dynamics'.

Regarding Air Asia, I don't think they have a BKK - KL flight just yet the only appear to list BKK - Johore which is in the far south of the country.

You can check on their website airasia.com.

Flights by Thai or MAS are around Bt 14,000 return or cheaper if you can get a package.

You won't get much pork in KL, unless you eat at the 'real' Chinese restaurants. For a decent Chinese meal, try Lee Ho Fuk above TGIF's on Jalan Sultan Ismail (virtually opposite The Shangri-La). By the way, the "Pub" in the Shang offers half price happy hours pouring drinks, I believe 5 pm to 8 pm and you can pre-order for the remainder of the evening if you pay up front.

If you want to get out of town for a beer, try Bangsar Baru (about RM25 by taxi from the triangle), there's a bar every second establishment. Also there's a reasonable Thai restaurant called (wait for it) Planter Jims on Jalan Telawy Dua.

Most of the hotel bars have live bands playing after HH, however, they are of varying quality. The Istana Hotel generally gets the better ones in their "Music Tech" in the basement.

To list all the decent bars in KL and the surrounding suberbs would be virtually impossible as new ones are opening all the time. For a Muslim country, this always suprised me.