I'M Kinda Glad The Cops Are Forcing Me To Wear A Helmet

JRA

I was here last year and frankly I hate wearing a helmet on my motorbike because I have semi-long hair and it f's it up...haha how vain I know but hey I have good hair;)I have been stopped 3 times and bought a helmet. Which isn't easy when you have a noggin my size.But I'm glad they are out enforcing the law because the roads seem WAY MORE dangerous than when I was here last year.Last night, the first time I hadn't wore the helmet but had it with me and I round a corner and there are cops everywhere (NE corner of mote heading S...very smooth Thai ploice)...again no ticket.This Thai cop was so cool and I explained to him I have been really good wearing it but every few day my head hurts because its just a bit too small...Anyway, when I got here a few weeks ago I was bummed because not once last year did I get pulled over...so in around about way the law is doing me a favor.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your common sense should tell you to wear a helmet; you shouldn't need the cops. Yes, I know many/most people don't have any common sense.

Go and visit the Neurological Hospital (I think that's the right name) in Suthep Road, and you'll never leave your helmet off again.

Edited by isanbirder

Lets see how the hair looks when the surgeon shaves a portion of your head to perform the surgery you will need as a result of you motor accident .... assuming that is you still have the ability to comprehend what has happened to you.

Howard

This pass Tuesday night about 8 PM started to make my right hind turn onto the Nawart Bridge when my wife started laughing. When I saw the sight I was also. At 8PM the police had over 50 bikes and very few owners lined up on the sidewalk the few drivers that were there were you school kids.:whistling:

This pass Tuesday night about 8 PM started to make my right hind turn onto the Nawart Bridge when my wife started laughing. When I saw the sight I was also. At 8PM the police had over 50 bikes and very few owners lined up on the sidewalk the few drivers that were there were you school kids.:whistling:

Obviously one of those jokes you had to be there for.

Beware it is 24-7 for the BIB'S :ph34r:

I'm sorry but " it messes up my hair " has to be the most pathetic excuse for not wearing a helmet there is. Especially coming from a bloke. :shock1:

It isn't a matter of choice as some tend to think, it is the law. You have to be a complete idiot not to wear one in my honest opinion ! :sorry:

Beware it is 24-7 for the BIB'S :ph34r:

gotlost... you lost me...

I'm sorry but " it messes up my hair " has to be the most pathetic excuse for not wearing a helmet there is. Especially coming from a bloke. :shock1:

It isn't a matter of choice as some tend to think, it is the law. You have to be a complete idiot not to wear one in my honest opinion ! :sorry:

....it was kinda a joke about the hair...I mean really a couple of you come across as a prick having zero sense of humor...

opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one...you seemed to be blessed with 2...congrats on that....

....it was kinda a joke about the hair...I mean really a couple of you come across as a prick having zero sense of humor...

opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one...you seemed to be blessed with 2...congrats on that....

You post, expect a response. :)

Seems like a touch of back peddling to me. Possibly that you made an a-hole of yourself with you "joke"

Oh by the way ... make sure you wear a helmet when back peddling ... keep the hair out of your eyes

I found your post very amusing but at your expense. It is not so funny though that you can put the appearance of your hair above protecting your brain.

Edited by garyh

I have just driven behind a 4 year old on a miniature motor bike, on the road, no helmet, following his dad who is waving traffic past :huh:, imagine if the toddler lost control and l hit him. :rolleyes:

Just imagine how much money it would cost you if you did hit him because remember you are a farang and it's always your fault !

I have just driven behind a 4 year old on a miniature motor bike, on the road, no helmet, following his dad who is waving traffic past :huh:, imagine if the toddler lost control and l hit him. :rolleyes:

Just imagine how much money it would cost you if you did hit him because remember you are a farang and it's always your fault !

I know, my wife laughed, thought it fun :huh:, beggars belief. :rolleyes:

i've noticed more and more white spray paint on the roads of chiang mai recently and it's depressing. there also seems to have been an upsurge in the number of people who shoot red lights a good second or two after they've changed. be careful out there if you ride a bike and for christ's sake always, always wear a decent quality helmet. it's simply moronic not to.

About the dumbest thing I see are the people (both farang and Thai) who wear the helmet (presumably to avoid a fine) but don't do it up. Worst of both words: brain damage and messed up hair.

My wife reports that she just saw a sign announcing that the fine for not wearing one is to be doubled to 400 baht next month. Now, if they took a giant and imaginative leap forward and busted people whenever they saw them, rather than just on planned operations, they'd get close to 100% compliance in a pretty short time.

Maybe a check to see if the lights are working while you've got the perp by the roadside would save a few lives. No, that's way too simple........

About the dumbest thing I see are the people (both farang and Thai) who wear the helmet (presumably to avoid a fine) but don't do it up. Worst of both words: brain damage and messed up hair.

My wife reports that she just saw a sign announcing that the fine for not wearing one is to be doubled to 400 baht next month. Now, if they took a giant and imaginative leap forward and busted people whenever they saw them, rather than just on planned operations, they'd get close to 100% compliance in a pretty short time.

Maybe a check to see if the lights are working while you've got the perp by the roadside would save a few lives. No, that's way too simple........

Yep, l have posted before here your thoughts. What the officers in control of policing are doing is a crime. Sitting in restaurants talking <deleted>, getting pissed all day but doing nothing. :huh:

Thanks for the warning that they are out there at all hours now.

I am not sure how much protection these helmets are in case of an accident. All I know is that if I wear a "proper" helmet, then I cannot see and hear everything I would like to around me, and I get a migraine being locked up longer than 30 mins or so. So, the only choice is a probably useless helmet that at least keeps the police off my back.

By any chance, are they checking driving licences as well? I have one of those - so, just asking.

And I'd even add this little nugget I saw today. Check it out. This is CCTV of accidents in CM. Most of them totally retarded - ie because of speeding, going thru red lights, driving without looking or thinking in the least. And in several cases, 3 riders per bike, no helmets all going down. It's a mad house out there !

Can you read the Thai in the corners ? Or do you just recognize things like that long pinched island at the turn coming from Suan Dok hospital, rounding left(north)up towards the moat? Alot of people eat it there big time! Then ther're also some good ones from Sri Phum intersection. And then I also was able to recognize/ read Nimmanhaemin and Rinkham as some of the other places. These are a few years old, but it's not like anything's changed much.

I'm from the us,there are around 20 states where there aren't motorcycle laws for adults.Statistics show where there are helmet laws there are more motorcycle accidents.Helmets give A false sense of security.

If there isn't A helmet law where I ride I don't use one.It blocks my perefial vision and my hearing.I've never had an accident and been riding motorcycles for over 44 years.I've been coming to thailand for over 40 years.There are many places in thailand where I won't ride .For people that do it's only A matter of time before ya do have an accident.Some of ya think i'm lucky.Your wrong,I'm good

I'm from the us,there are around 20 states where there aren't motorcycle laws for adults.Statistics show where there are helmet laws there are more motorcycle accidents.Helmets give A false sense of security.

If there isn't A helmet law where I ride I don't use one.It blocks my perefial vision and my hearing.I've never had an accident and been riding motorcycles for over 44 years.I've been coming to thailand for over 40 years.There are many places in thailand where I won't ride .For people that do it's only A matter of time before ya do have an accident.Some of ya think i'm lucky.Your wrong,I'm good

And which statistics are these, exactly? Hopefully most readers will recognise that this kind of thinking is not only deluded but dangerous.

Edited by Greenside

If your head is harder or denser than the concrete you may be headbutting , then maybe you don't need a helmet. .........................But for us mortals then i would always advocate wearing one.

Edited by xen