Bringing An English Staffy To Thailand

sha1985

Hi Guys,

Just a quick query, is the English Staffy actually banned in Thailand.

We are trying to be organised and look into this a good 6 months before planning to come over and all the pet transport companies I speak to in Australia just say sorry banned breed.

Problem is, according to the Perth Consulate (about 6 months ago) English staffies are ok.

Had a look on here and there a alot of conflicting posts, some say yes, some no, some maybe.

Does anybody know a definitive answer to this? and also where I can print out something officially to show the transport companies?

Cheers

there were a few threads about this subject but i cant find them... from memory, the argument was that although english staffies are on the ok list, thai interpretation, as in many countries, is that a staffie is a staffie is a pit bull. therein is the problem. if it were a mixed breed, many folks have suggested that the vet just write 'mix breed'. however, if the dog is pure bred and looks purebred, not sure really waht u can do. maybe try to get hold of a kennel club rep in thailand, or a kennel club person in your country who knows people who show/judge in thailand that might know the realities of importing your staffie. thailand, as we all know, can be capricious about rules and regs. after organizng everyhting, they might not even look at your dog. oth, they might demand more paper work etc.

try various and sundry wording for staffie, pit bull etc in our search thingy, u might find something. u might try posting to nienke to ask. good luck. and remember, some countries are becoming more draconian, so if u plan on reversing direction again at a later time, u might not be able to take staffie back with u not just because of the breed, but because of rabies quarantine laws. thailand is an 'rabies filled' country as opposed to rabies free.

bina

israel

I brought my staffie in 3 years ago.iIwen,t to the i animal import section at the airport.At the time they had a sign on the wall telling you pit bulls ,american staffie where banned.you have to get a import licence from them stating the type of dog you are bringing in..At the time english staffs where not banned don,t know if they are now.When she arrived they said she was banned.but my thai wife sorted it out had to pay 12,000 baht to get her in .the problem is they haven,t got a clue the difference between a pit bull and a staffie. Looks the same so its a pit bull and they want to rip you off,and know you will pay.I know someone else who brought his dog in told him it was banned he had to pay 70,000 baht and was told to get him castrated.So its not cheap to bring your dog to thailand probably 1,500 pounds after you pay for vet bills and flight ,then what ever they rip you off when you come in.My advise is to buy one here if you want one they are hard to find.but you can get them . But thats up to you of course hope this helps

Hello,

I just brought my dog to Thailand last month. When I applied for the Import Permit, they put info about the banned breeds right in the email and on the certificate (although they don't match!).

In the email -

Thailand not allowed Pit Bull Terrier, American/English Staffordshire Terrier, American/English Stafforshire Bull Terrier or related group of these breed into Thailand.

On the official stamped import permit -

This is to certify that <my name> is granted to import 1 head of dog (Except: Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Staffordshire Bull Terrier or related group of those breed)...

My dog is a mixed breed but could pass for a pit bull or a staffie. He is small though, only about 35 lbs (16 kg). You can read my post at the end of the 'Importing a Pet Into Thailand' reference thread. I didn't mention his breed in that post.

This made me extremely nervous but I took the chance for three reasons:

- My dog is already 10 ys old and not thriving in the US without me. If I did not take him now he would not have the chance to come again.

- I had read about other people importing these types of dogs after the ban on TV.

- I personally know a Thai woman who lives here that has imported several purebred pit bulls from the US without any problems (as recently as within the last two monts). She used an importer (but I was travelling with my dog).

As luck would have it, my dog made it through without any problems, and the man at the import office did not even get up to look at my dog. In case he had, however, I made sure all my paperwork was in line with 'Mixed Breed' on it - my vet changed it on the rabies certificate and all his records. I also printed out breed info on Boxers and was prepared to say he's a boxer mix, because if you look at his face he does have the shorter nose and long jowls, and could pass for a boxer mix as well. Who knows what he really is - that is what makes breed bans so ineffective, instead of making legislation based on their actions (deed not breed).

I took my chances and made it through, but this is obviously no guarantee that anyone else will be able to do the same in the future. My guy is 10 ys old, arthritic, no teeth left to speak of, and now happy as pie to be living here. I hope you can post a similar success story in the coming months!

Kind regards,

WaatWang

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I just brought my staffy to thailand one week ago from the uk, I had a few problems when I got to the animal import section at bkk. The problem is the thai authorities do not recognise English staffordshire bull terriers, only American staffies (pitbulls) which are banned. In the end I did manage to get him in for 5000 thb, But I wouldn't recommend bringing a staffy into thailand, your best off trying to get one out here.

Not completely relevant but I saw on the Thai Airways website that snub nosed dogs and cats may not be carried or sent on their planes. They said this was as a result of studies of considerable mortality of these breeds. I do not know which other airlines if any apply this.

• 9 years later...

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me please?

Thinking of moving to Thailand but I have 2 boys -dogs-. English Staffordshire X and chocolate Labrador.  I have been reading your posts and I’ m a bit scared now to try and take my boys out there.... especially my Staffie !  Can anyone help

please thank you