2Nd Waiver Refused

bhoydy

Just to let people know. I sent my documents away about a month ago to get my 2nd waiver. Nothing arrived so yesterday i made the long trip north to Bkk to present the documents in person. All my documents were in order except that i have never done the Thai Culture Course. I live out in the sticks and with no one to remind me about it i just forgot. I know that there has been no such course in my province for over a year now and i was out the country for the one before that. Anyway i went direct to Kurusapa, dressed and spoke politely, and i was refused point blank due to not having done the culture course. I even asked the lady there to speak to my boss on the phone which she agreed to and basically told him the same thing. Anyway my visa expires in a week so there's certainly no time to do a culture test elsewhere, and i believe it's being discontinued anyway. I'm not going to go on and on i'm just on to tell about my experience, i have had a job offer in a different line of work during my time in BKK and while i don't want to leave the school i'm at (i've been there 2 and a half years) i feel like i don't have much choice. If Kuruspa wants schools to fall into line with their guidelines then they should at least let all their schools know how to follow their guidelines or at the very least answer the phones at their office. We tried 5 different numbers with no answer.

The future of the culture course is uncertain, but that might be more to its presents form than its requirement.

I did get a second waiver without having done the cultural course, but I'm a volunteer.

Sorry you were not successful.

Sorry to hear about this Bhoydy.... I got my second waiver several months ago. Our HR person was told by the TCT in no uncertain terms that the Culture Course was a requirement for a second waiver.

Of course, TIT & other people may get everything they need without having to do anything.<_<

Kru sapa want to see proof that you are making an attempt to become qualified. It was supposed to be common knowledge years ago, but everyone just shunned it and relyd on their waiver, a 2nd waiver is given if it is seen that the applicant has made an attempt to get his license.

Soon many will be in the s#it, cos you'll have to have proof of taking the TCT tests... And you can only do them with a degree.

If you have 24 credits in education you are alright too. No need to test.

Edited by justaphase

@Scott, yes the original waiver was good for 2 years

Just to update, back at school today after a long journey south. The local work permit office have said they cannot do anything without the documents from kurusapa. On Monday i got the lady's desk phone number at Kurusapa in case my school had any further questions. Surprise, surprise no answer from her all day today...i mean..really...

Anyway there may be a way round it as someone at the school knows somebody blah blah blah

You have been warned B)

Thanks for the update. :jap:

The local work permit office have said they cannot do anything without the documents from kurusapa.

It seems that the changes in the work permit rules has become reality as posted here:

www.thailandteaching.asia/work-permits/2026-changes-work-permit-application-rules%3B-tct-teacher-license-required.html

Anyway there may be a way round it as someone at the school knows somebody blah blah blah

Because of one of our Thai teachers knowing people at Khurusupa, a foreign teacher at our school got a second provisional teacher license but valid for one year.

I hope everything will work out well for you, bhoydy.

All the best.

"If you have 24 credits in education you are alright too. No need to test."

What makes one credit? A course taken for a semester, 1 hour per week?

That depends on the country, university and system. My study was 180 University of Greenwich credits which are equivalent to 90 ECTS credits.

I think the TCT means credits according to Thai or Asian systems.

For example, one course, Principles and Theories of Educational Administration at Ramkhamhaeng University, can be done in two weeks time and is given 3 credits.

An example of this system can be found here: International Program M.Ed. Master of Education in Educational Administration (English Program) in Thailand

"If you have 24 credits in education you are alright too. No need to test."

What makes one credit? A course taken for a semester, 1 hour per week?

In the UK modules are worth 10 or 20 credits. The full PGCE gives you 120 credits, 3 year BSc / BA 360 credits.:ph34r:

I'd like to know how this equates to the Thai education degree. How many credits is that worth?:blink:

I believe that if you submit your transcript with the courses you have taken, the Teacher's council will review it and decide whether it meets their criteria.

I think someone had posted something about that in a thread sometime ago.

Perhaps some posters have some experience they can share.

36 units for a MA/MS. So, 24 units in Ed. would be 2/3 of a Master's Degree!

That's correct but .........

A comprehensive examination including written and/or oral tests must be taken after completion of the 36 credit program in compliance with the rules of the Graduate School of Ramkhamhaeng University.

For me, there doesn't seem to be any way around this at the moment. The work permit office need the waiver to extend the work permit. The Teacher's Council won't give me a waiver without me doing the culture course. The culture course has been suspended for the moment. The Teacher's Council won't give me any information on where to do the course, they say it's on their website which it's not. Even if i go out the country and come back on a Non Imm B visa, i will still have the same situation of not being able to get the waiver to get the work permit. I have been going round in circles for the last few days and i'm now dizzy. :blink:

For me, there doesn't seem to be any way around this at the moment.

Here are two suggestions. Take them for what they cost you.

1. Go to the Director him/herself. At this point you are not going around/over/behind the department. They will lose face by you going but if you want to stay, and they actually want you, what's the big deal? Nothing for you to lose.... If he/she goes with you to the Imm and WP offices we can assume they aren't going to tell him "sorry" you can't hire this teacher.

2. The old fashion way of paying someone off works in some Government offices, but you have to have a Thai person/agent do the dirty work. Approach/visit an advertiser/agent who handles such things and see how much. I was quoted 25,000baht all inclusive, the 1900baht ext fee and the WP fee for another year. I guess that means about 20K was going to be split among three people if my math is correct.

I know people are trying to be helpful and I think we all know the lay of the land, but we must exercise care in openly discussing things which violate the law.

You are welcome to be a little more specific with people by PM, if you chose.

Activities which are less-than-legal are usually accomplished by people who know someone.

We had a person who was eminently not qualified (by their standards), but who was qualified by ours and for a very specific subject and one that the gov't deemed important. His paperwork sailed through without a hitch based solely on common sense. An unusual situation and I doubt that I would try it again.

Hi all

Very interesting thread. I have a Masters Degree in Leadership for Children and young people services and a CertTESOL qualification validated by Trinity College London. Would I need to undertake the course and sit a test or would I have enough credits to obtain a teaching license, therefore enabling the school to apply for a work permit? I am curreently in the UK but have been offered a position.

Any advice will be welcomed

Kind regards

Andy

If not, you can get a waiver and apply for the WP. That will give you 2 years to complete the cultural course to get another waiver.

It also depends on what kind of school it is. Universities are exempt from the requirement for a teaching license.

Masters Degree in Leadership for Children and young people services and a CertTESOL qualification validated by Trinity College London. Would I need to undertake the course and sit a test or would I have enough credits to obtain a teaching license

Andy

Andy, You MA would not count towards the TCT License as your degree is aimed at Social Services and councelling? Correct me if I am wrong? Did any of your modules have any credits awarded that are related to teaching in the UK school system?

You don't have QTS so I would assume that you will have to sit the tests.

As another poster has pointed out though......if it's a Uni then its not required.

If not, you can get a waiver and apply for the WP. That will give you 2 years to complete the cultural course to get another waiver.

It also depends on what kind of school it is. Universities are exempt from the requirement for a teaching license.

It also depends on whether the Teacher's Council start the culture course again within then next 2 years. :lol: