BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
meadish_sweetball

Flood About To Strike Again

You are lucky mate.What is the forcast for the next few days?

Forecast for CM here.

/Edit - nice sat image wimpy... what website?

Edited by Jai Dee

You are lucky mate.What is the forcast for the next few days?

From the looks of this latest sat image, there is a bunch of moisture in the area. :o

20050913.jpg

Looks like the weather man has spilt some coffee on his laptop :D

Too bad no Doppler radar around to track rainfall... In Chiang Mai now...

Now no rain... 12p.m. Monda, but latest Meteostat 5 (00:00 UTC 13 Sept) looks like we may get some in a few hours... (hard for amatuer meteorolgist to say for sure) could mostly go south...

I was at Mae Ngat Dam last weekend... could see that last months level was way less than the previous high water mark... Wonder if someone didn't screw up and start releasing water too soon?...

post-12525-1126587306_thumb.jpg

From the looks of the Thai Meteorological Department's (TMD) latest tracking of the tropical depression, it looks like the Isaan region is likely to get hit first.

ways_stom.jpg

Sad to see that it all could happen again. I was told that this past flood was the first major flood in Chiang Mai for the past 40 years. How odd if it happens again! Lets all pray that there's no more damage to Chiang Mai.

I thought it happened every year, at least over the 20 years I have been in LOS.

Most places treat a flood as warning sign and raise the level of the banks ready

to the next peak, which is usually higher?

Why was the water not managed better, with an earlier release to prevent the

current high levels?

This surge will impact cities and towns all the way down to Nakorn Sawan and Bangkok.

When will the Thai's learn to plan, eliminating the need for the last minute knee jerk reaction.

This surge will impact cities and towns all the way down to Nakorn Sawan and Bangkok.

Wouldn't any water surge from Chiang Mai and points north more likely be held behind the Bhumibol Dam in Tak?

I was at Mae Ngat Dam last weekend... could see that last months level was way less than the previous high water mark... Wonder if someone didn't screw up and start releasing water too soon?...

post-12525-1126587306_thumb.jpg

Yeah re Mae Ngat dam, I'm still really unsure about this & would not be surprised at all if it was just a smoke screen by the relevant authorities who stuffed up & did not prepare properly for the massive amount of water heading towards Chiang Mai. (After all it was a Sunday.)

On Sunday 14th August, the day that Cnx was flooded, I went to Mae Ngat dam at 11.00 am & 4.30 pm for a look & the water was below - several meters below - the spillway, so how did they release water?

Again yesterday there was a flood warning because they were releasing water from a dam. Where? Yesterday a mate visited Mae Kuang dam & the water level was way below the spillway too. I also reckon that it might still be below the spillway at Mae Ngat. Could it just be that our local irrigation officials are unprepared & don’t know how to effectively manage the larger volumes of water when the shit hits the fan? So they say, water is being released from a dam & no one asks any questions?

Regarding the last flood, it was unbelievable that you could see the floods in Pai / Mae Taeng / Phrao on ITV late Saturday, with the Mae Taeng / Phrao water heading for Chiang Mai. The floods hit Cnx late Sunday, the next day.

Late Sunday morning I was in Chiang Dao & the locals said that the flood hit them at 5.30 am Saturday, with the water at roof top level in many places. The volume of water was so great it surged over the road, route 107, north of the Chiang Dao elephant camp! Sunday afternoon the whole Ping / Mae Taeng confluence, just west –south-west of the Mae Ngat dam (with dam water level still below the spillway) was flooding the entire valley. At Mae Taeng the MT river had been way over the road.

It strikes me then that there was ample warning that a huge flood was about to hit Cnx, 24 hrs before it hit the town & what happened? What did the local officials do in preparation for the city’s worst flood in 40 years? Almost zilch in my opinion. Yep it’s a funny country alright. Best to keep smiling & enjoy it while we can.

THE WANG RIVER SPILLED OVER ITS BANKS THIS MORNING

The WANG (วัง) River in TAK (ตาก) province spilled over its banks today.

The Chief of TAK District Administration, Mr PRATET WONGYA (ประเทศ วงศ์ยา) said widespread rain has affected many Northern provinces, resulting in flash floods and forest floods, as well as the increases in water levels in the WANG River.

Mr PRATET added that at 01:00 hrs this morning, the WANG River spilled over its banks, submerging WANGCHAN (วังจันทร์) and WANGMANT (วังหมัน) districts.

Meanwhile, local authorities have been deploying sand bags to be utilized in the flooded areas, while the residents still need to closely follow the news and to take caution for the next few days.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอังคารที่ 13 กันยายน 2548

Well it hasn't rained yet today by 5.30pm

Do you think I should water my garden now?

Well it hasn't rained yet today by 5.30pm

No rain yet, but it has been breezy all day. It seems like it's usually not too windy here unless rain is in the offing. May want to leave the garden hose untouched for the time being. :o

I was at the Ping river at Chiang Moi today and it was at the same level as the day before. I'll be there again in the morning as I have some business at the market.