Nicest Condo Building In Chiang Mai?

TheBigPenguin

In my opinion Mountain Front is a four star design finished to low three star standards. Much of the construction quality and finish work is low level. Quality Condominiums is just a sales group who turns the building of the project over to a low bidding building subcontractor who does the work as quickly and cheaply as possible and in some cases they don't even seem to have completed some of the work. Quality Condominiums doesn't seem to supervise much of the work, they just push units. As can be expected I guess, Quality Condominiums really seem to care how quick the units sell and they can move on to their next project.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found the last 5 years have not been to bad for Condo investment if you buy in popular Farang condos. Management is very important IMO.

Mangement in terms of Condos and Moo Barns can make or break your Condo or other property investment in my experience.

A couple of guys I know renovate condos from more Thai style to Farang but the little amount of money made does not seem to be worth the effort. Most profit eaten in transfer taxes.

Anyway I have found Riverside not bad return in last 5 years. Hillside you can make 8% returns.... similar to other popualr farang Condo buildings. The key is being buy popular Farang or Asian retiree Condos- foreigners retirement locales.

As many believe CMai will gain far more Japan, HK, SNG, and Korean retirees, as well as some farangs. Yet more growth in Asian retirees expected from wealthier Asian countries. Farang retirees growth is predicted to grow more steady.

Investment wise political issues maybe a concern going forward, as a few bargains popped up in troubling times of recent past. Thailand in general may continue to ride the huge growth wave, as they did in the 90's some predict. the last year been especially high growth- could be the start of another 90s bubble, or not.

Cheers Jay

I know most of the condos in town - you say 'nice' and it all depends whether to you 'nice' means 'new'. A good measure is how much farang ownership there is - if it's high 40%+ you know that it is popular and there is a reason why farangs like it. Try skybreeze condo or hillside four?

your joking sky breeze pool is no good place is noisy mountain side hot as hell overpriced and problems with committee. Hillside 4 is dark overpriced but im also told both places are popular so maybe information ive been given is wrong. I was not at all impressed when i viewed a few years ago particularly with residents i met. I liked Riverside but it seemed full of problems with committee but seemed good value and nicely maintained. But best by far was Flora if top quality was wanted and price was not an issue.

I considered buying a condo in CM a few years ago for short visits but decided in end not to bother i was impressed with Flora and ping condo but compared with facilities in best in Bangkok a poor substitute. If op is thinking only 3 months a year much better to rent a nice serviced apartment as i do now and theirs plenty for around 20,000-30,000 baht a month including all bills and nice pool internet full satellite TV and all facilities. If op is visiting off season you can get really nice places with 2 bedrooms for much less than 20,000 a month if high season if for 3 months and booked before season starts same for only 30,000 a month. Why pay 2 million plus or so for a small maybe 70 sq mt place just to use it 3 months year. IMHO of course

Have heard of The West Wind Village condominium near the International Convention in Chiangmai?

It is a high-end apartment that is planned to be completed in January 2013.

The sales gallery is now open. Check out our quality of work.

I know most of the condos in town - you say 'nice' and it all depends whether to you 'nice' means 'new'. A good measure is how much farang ownership there is - if it's high 40%+ you know that it is popular and there is a reason why farangs like it. Try skybreeze condo or hillside four?

your joking sky breeze pool is no good place is noisy mountain side hot as hell overpriced and problems with committee.

You've obviously never been to SkyBreeze.

I've swum there it's the best pool in town large clean great view and saltwater.

Noisy? It overlooks the University campus it's one of the quietest condos I've ever been in.

Overpriced? What does that mean in a free market? Presumably prices are dictated by desirability, which means it must be very desirable.

Hillside 4 is dark overpriced but im also told both places are popular so maybe information ive been given is wrong.

yes they sure are popular I guess there's a reason why.

The fact is Hillside is very well situated and clean and well run and has a great gym and OK pool.

Edited by cheeryble

your joking sky breeze pool is no good place is noisy mountain side hot as hell overpriced and problems with committee.

I've swum there it's the best pool in town large clean great view and saltwater.

Noisy? It overlooks the University campus it's one of the quietest condos I've ever been in.

Overpriced? What does that mean in a free market? Presumably prices are dictated by desirability, which means it must be very desirable.

Hillside 4 is dark overpriced but im also told both places are popular so maybe information ive been given is wrong.

The fact is Hillside is very well situated and clean and well run and has a great gym and OK pool.

I looked at it a few years back but maybe pool has been upgraded entrance was drab lifts really old and i could go on condos come and go in fashion at the time it was IMHO vastly over promoted so as to obtain high price for a very inferior building Noise probably depends on which side your on. I cant see anything can be done to help drab dark interior of Hillside 3 but location was a great benefit. I checked with a friend who has several units at hillside 4 and he tells me its never full and rents and prices have gone down. When i visit once a year for 2-3 months i usually go back to many of condos but missed Sky Breeze in last 2 years. Most who over praise a place are part time developers or investors hoping for next idiot to pay well over value. I have seen same size condo in much same condition and not much between them and one was going for 1.5 million and other for 2.8 million so normal market forces down work here. Many owners simply try it on and now and again they strike gold with poor new owner only realising later they have overpaid at least 50-80%

"a great gym"? I haven't checked it for a while, but a few years ago the Hillside 4 gym was crap. It was ok for free weights and most of the some-what dated weight machines worked, but the aerobic machines--treadmills, stationary bikes, cross-trainers--worked poorly or not at all; the wheels would turn around and displays light up but there was no resistance, belts slipped, etc. Did they finally do the badly needed maintenance?

You have indicated that price is not of importance, so i suggest you invest some of that money and get yourself to Chiang Mai and look at various areas and properties that are available.

Chiang Mai isn't such a big city and you could cover most of the better condo buildings within 3 or 4 days.

Good luck

Howard

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm in Chiang Mai currently and will do just as you suggest. I'm in no hurry to do this, as I'll only be here 3 months this year, but I plan on coming back repeatedly, and its nice to have a place that's yours, where you can store your stuff. And that has private internet :).

I was thinking this might be a good place to start, as obviously many of the buildings do look in desperate need for repair.

Also, my idea of 'best' is whichever building would sell for the most money per square foot not including location.

Wow! Lots of interesting advice Big P. Guess it's a case of "One man's meat..." etc. Just out of curiosity, have you made your decision yet and if so, where did you opt for and why. It's always nice to have closure on hot topics such as this.

Thanks,

JL

Edited by JohnLee

I lived at skybreeze and it's VERY noisy with music

• 1 year later...

Rimping condo on the river has great location. Lost of interesting places in Chiang Mai within walking distance, markets, night market, even Thapae area. PM me if you want more info.

What's the parking like there? I was told there's no big bike parking - you have to park your big bike in the same space as your car. Is that true? Seems like it would make a pretty tight fit.

I also notice there's a lift for the cars which is very impressive. never seen one of those outside of a big western city.

Another thing about Mountain Front, their staff is amazing. We had an issue with our air con and within minutes maintenance was there working on it. We had a couple of other small issues in the beginning and all issues were addressed very quickly. They also gave us a few free rides into town when we first moved in and were without our scooter. The guy who runs the place is Indian and he pays close attention to detail. He also runs the Convention condo which is a bit cheaper but still quite nice. I believe they are also building a new condo next to the convention center being built off of canal, not sure what the name of it is off the top of my head.

Is it possible to catch a songtow into the city from Mountain Front?

All these posts and no one gives us prices?

Rimpimg looks to be about 20-25k for a 2br 2 bath. The rental office had a one br for 20 i think too I did see one 2br online with a small kitchen for 17.5. Floral I saw a 2br 1 bath onlinr for 20k

Looks like floral may be better for parking though if u have more than one car and one scooter

All these posts and no one gives us prices?

Rimpimg looks to be about 20-25k for a 2br 2 bath. The rental office had a one br for 20 i think too I did see one 2br online with a small kitchen for 17.5. Floral I saw a 2br 1 bath onlinr for 20k

Looks like floral may be better for parking though if u have more than one car and one scooter

The Rimping office only rents out the untis owned by the family who built the block and they charge top rates. Check out the notice board in reception, ask around and search online for privately owned units and you will almost certainly get a better deal. A good location and day to day services such as cleaning are very good but long term improvements are not being made because the manager (builders son) will not spend the money that is needed to be spent.

The Shine is currently under construction on Changklan Rd, sales office is opposite (no bite for me). They have sold everything in there except for the 3 bedders and penthouse. Seem to recall the penthouse around 12 million but could be wrong. If you want brand new with a great location and money no object then that will do you, will have nice river views from up the top to boot.

Floral has nice two level penthouses that used to sell for about 12 million. Rimping similar but Rimping can be difficult in and out due to traffic. As already covered Punna etc nice but noisy. Mountainview feels halfway to Fang if you like the peace and quiet. Last I heard Riverside hadn't resolved owner brawls over who gets to steal the maintenance money & scoop up repossesed condos at unannouced auctions etc. Hillside 4 has serious parking issues and a deplorable security system.

Those are just my impressions at any rate. Perhaps visiting the buildings could prove somewhat useful.

The Shine is currently under construction on Changklan Rd, sales office is opposite (no bite for me). They have sold everything in there except for the 3 bedders and penthouse. Seem to recall the penthouse around 12 million but could be wrong. If you want brand new with a great location and money no object then that will do you, will have nice river views from up the top to boot.

Floral has nice two level penthouses that used to sell for about 12 million. Rimping similar but Rimping can be difficult in and out due to traffic. As already covered Punna etc nice but noisy. Mountainview feels halfway to Fang if you like the peace and quiet. Last I heard Riverside hadn't resolved owner brawls over who gets to steal the maintenance money & scoop up repossesed condos at unannouced auctions etc. Hillside 4 has serious parking issues and a deplorable security system.

Those are just my impressions at any rate. Perhaps visiting the buildings could prove somewhat useful.

That is truly amazing that people will pay that much money to basically buy a box in someone else's house. I've never lived in a condominium and never will and don't understand condo dwelling. A friend lives in a condo here. You can hear the people next to him. You can't go on the balcony without hearing the people all around and smell people smoking. No garden.... Oh well, to each their own.

Nice that they sold most units.. This one is looking really good I have to say. 12 million for a penthouse is a lot of course.. You could pretty much buy/build a really nice, spacious and modern house in the same downtown area for that; probably two.

That is truly amazing that people will pay that much money to basically buy a box in someone else's house. I've never lived in a condominium and never will and don't understand condo dwelling. A friend lives in a condo here. You can hear the people next to him. You can't go on the balcony without hearing the people all around and smell people smoking. No garden.... Oh well, to each their own.

Well.. yes; I think condo living should normally happen when a city runs out of space, like Hong Kong and parts of Bangkok. Then you have no option but to go up, and indeed some nice living can be achieved then. For Chiang Mai the need just isn't really there, unless maybe at the lower-end where you just cannot buy a nice downtown home South of 4 million baht. But then you do get to have a nice looking, modern condominium with a nice view to boot. Ok there's no garden and not too much space, but probably enough space if you're single, or a couple without children.

BTW do you know how much the 3 bedroom units are, and how much the 2 bedroom ones went for?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Nice that they sold most units.. This one is looking really good I have to say. 12 million for a penthouse is a lot of course.. You could pretty much buy/build a really nice, spacious and modern house in the same downtown area for that; probably two.

Well.. yes; I think condo living should normally happen when a city runs out of space, like Hong Kong and parts of Bangkok. Then you have no option but to go up, and indeed some nice living can be achieved then. For Chiang Mai the need just isn't really there, unless maybe at the lower-end where you just cannot buy a nice downtown home South of 4 million baht. But then you do get to have a nice looking, modern condominium with a nice view to boot. Ok there's no garden and not too much space, but probably enough space if you're single, or a couple without children.

BTW do you know how much the 3 bedroom units are, and how much the 2 bedroom ones went for?

I think you and electrified are overlooking the fact that some of us have had all that and the responsibility that goes with it possibly for a longer time than you have lived and are happy to just settle down in a nice comfortable building where we don't have to mow the lawn repair the leak in the roof and all the other things that go with owning a home.

And speaking only for myself I get a fantastic view 17 stories up.

I to was once young and had kids. To me it was the most natural thing on the face of the earth to own a home. But the kids grew up I aged and changed my priorities. I can not afford a 12,000,000 baht condo even if I wanted one butt I can afford one that gives me inner peace that is not depended on what I own. Or how much money I can make off of what I own and that is what the OP was looking for. He really dosen't care if it is a house with nine rooms out of the city or in the city. That would require what he is not willing to do. (repairs) A nice condo with proper management will fill his needs fine.

I do not own now because to me that would be giving up on life. I like to feel that I can change my location with out all the hassle of selling a condo. And that is exactly what I would do if the wife died. More than likely travel possibly to another country. I don't know.

Why no mention of the Punna off Nimmanheimin?

That's what I was thinking too. Great location.

Again it all comes down to personal preference, but for me this is the ideal location. There are three access routes - Nimman, Huay Kaew and Canal Road - so there's always a 'quick' way out/in. It's within spitting distance of all that's on offer in and around Nimmanhaemin which is where all the money is in CM at the moment, so it's an ideal investment if that's what you're buying for (rental returns are around 12% p/a). The building management is excellent and the condo committee is well organized and keeps on top of everything.

As for the noise, well it's not half as bad as people make it out to be. I live on the side facing Doi Suthep and all the entertainment venues and the only time it's an issue is during the food festivals which happen three or four times a year and even then it's only until about 11pm.

I think you and electrified are overlooking the fact that some of us have had all that and the responsibility that goes with it possibly for a longer time than you have lived and are happy to just settle down in a nice comfortable building where we don't have to mow the lawn repair the leak in the roof and all the other things that go with owning a home.

And speaking only for myself I get a fantastic view 17 stories up.

I to was once young and had kids. To me it was the most natural thing on the face of the earth to own a home. But the kids grew up I aged and changed my priorities. I can not afford a 12,000,000 baht condo even if I wanted one butt I can afford one that gives me inner peace that is not depended on what I own. Or how much money I can make off of what I own and that is what the OP was looking for. He really dosen't care if it is a house with nine rooms out of the city or in the city. That would require what he is not willing to do. (repairs) A nice condo with proper management will fill his needs fine.

I do not own now because to me that would be giving up on life. I like to feel that I can change my location with out all the hassle of selling a condo. And that is exactly what I would do if the wife died. More than likely travel possibly to another country. I don't know.

He can't spell songtell but "dolly" is spot on on this. Why anyone would want to buy a huge house in CM (9 rooms or more) when resale options are limited and you never know who your new neighbors might be. But to each his own. (btw, I rent a house so I get the best of all worlds but I understand why some people prefer a condo.)

Was in Furama today looked at two studios. One 45 meters and the other 75 meters cost long term rental all in plus two bottles of water a day and cleaning up to 4 times a week was 20,000 and 26,000 baht a month.

Did not look at the Suite's One bedroom30,000 baht two bedroom37,000 baht and one called Furama suite for 51,000 baht.

Did not ask if they sold them but I sure liked what I saw. Plus the building had a barbique restaurant and swimming pool on the roof. In addition to another pool and gym.

Well, condo living has many benifits as well. If something breaks down in regards to services, you do not have to call anyone as management should be getting it fixed. There are usually common facilties like pool, sauna, garden ect. that the unit owner does not have to maintain themselfs. Many have restaurants in the building or near buy.

All of these apply to regular houses in a commercial development just the same. Security may on average be a bit better, just by virtue of having more limited points of access to the area.

There is Karnkanok Condo's 3 and 5. KK5 is located before Mountainfront off Canal Rd, units up to 207Sqm in size and KK3 Unit sizes up to 173Sqm. KK3 is Soi Potharam in behind Wat Jed Yot. IMO both great locations with Doi Suthep views.

I purchased new in KK3 about four years ago and really like the location. Building condition and livability factor is dependent on how proactive the committee is and how well the rules are enforced.

Unfortunately a lot of places don't even have an active committee or a run by the original developer.

The best building in terms of "construction quality" is Mountain Front. Unfortunately it will be completely surrounded by third class construction and whatever is mountain view now, will be views onto a crappy higher building in the near future. The road- infrastructure will not be sufficient with the quantity of developments nearby. Nevertheless, whatever you look on, there will be downsides.

Look first for the area you want to live in. Near Night Bazaar? Near Nimmanhemin? Canal Road? Then look at all buildings, check at traffic noise, try to evaluate the noise at each time of the day (Night Bazar is city centre and noisy all day, Nimmanhemin is noisy all night and packed with traffic plus noise from aircraft traffic, Canal Road has a lot of individual homes with dogs, Karaoke machines and bars with life music which will keep you awake all night)

Whereever you buy: make sure to rent one of the condos for a month or so, talk to neighbors, the administration and then buy if you are still convinced. You will be surprised about the problems that come up and you never imagined they existed...

The best building in terms of construction is Floral which was designed and built by a Japanese company, it is nearly twenty years old and theres a waiting list to buy - penthouse's sell from between 12 and 18 mill over the past seven years. Rents on two bedroom one bath units run 22k to 26k (100 square metres), two bed two bath units (150 sq metres) around 30/38k based on floor, penthouses around 50k.

Edited by chiang mai

Well, condo living has many benifits as well. If something breaks down in regards to services, you do not have to call anyone as management should be getting it fixed. There are usually common facilties like pool, sauna, garden ect. that the unit owner does not have to maintain themselfs. Many have restaurants in the building or near buy.

All of these apply to regular houses in a commercial development just the same. Security may on average be a bit better, just by virtue of having more limited points of access to the area.

The bigger difference is that everyone I know who lives in a moo baan, when they want to go to the pool, the gym, the restaurant, the noodle shop, 7/11, the mom and pop grocery, etc, they get in the car. If you live in a condo you get there by elevator.

• Like 2

The bigger difference is that everyone I know who lives in a moo baan, when they want to go to the pool, the gym, the restaurant, the noodle shop, 7/11, the mom and pop grocery, etc, they get in the car. If you live in a condo you get there by elevator.

Although I agree for some of the condos here in CM (maybe hillsides 2,3, Punna, City View and a few others), many are off the beaten path - although no where near as bad as the moobans. The condos are usually in walking distance at least and/or have their own shops in the building.

IS having a shop in the building or nearby really all that important? Moobans usually have a ma and pa shop or two as well anyway.

You just have to learn to shop differently than hand-to-mouth.

My biggest beef with condo life is that you can't cook unless you have a very large unit that supports that. Otherwise you are left with a hotplate and almost no counter space for prepping, drying etc.