Recommend An Apartment!

Pretty self-explanitory. Something near public transport, somewhere you have personal experience with, possibly? I don't care where in BKK, as long as it's a relatively quiet area. I've found a bunch of places on MrRoomFinder but I figured personal references would be invaluable. Thanks in advance!

Pretty self-explanitory. Something near public transport, somewhere you have personal experience with, possibly? I don't care where in BKK, as long as it's a relatively quiet area. I've found a bunch of places on MrRoomFinder but I figured personal references would be invaluable. Thanks in advance!

2,500 baht a month? Is that a typo and you meant 25,000? I dont know what your expecting to get for 2,500 baht a month. Maybe someone will throw a mattress in their backyard for you

2,500 baht a month? Is that a typo and you meant 25,000? I dont know what your expecting to get for 2,500 baht a month. Maybe someone will throw a mattress in their backyard for you

thats gonna cost @ least 3k a month :o

Edited by Joey Boy

If you do a 'Districts' search on Roomfinder and select 'Under 5,000' on the additional search results page, it'll give you a list of 279 places. They'll be quite a lot in there at 2,500 THB/Mo and less.

If you pick one or 2 out from the list that fit the bill, then post on here for information on your selected buildings, maybe someone will know of them or have Thai friends that live there, as most of the low end dwellings are occupied by Thais.

Good luck

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

a story...

recently, I found this place in paradise dove that was not only inexpensive, but was brand spanking new. the place was so good, the facilities there rivaled places that charged twice the daily rate.

anyway, I told many of my friends about the place. and they were impressed too by the price vs. value.

next thing I know, the place increases their prices. (?)

I asked the owner why he did that. he replied quote, "your friend convinced me that I was charging too little."

I then went to my "friend" and asked him why he did that. his reply, "it's true, they did charge too little. they deserve to get the going rate."

I then tried to plead my case with other "friends". some said I was being cheap. others said quote, "how would you feel if you were the owner? wouldn't you want to get as much as possible?" ..and yet others said I was being selfish.

these are all valid opinions.

but I keep thinking to myself...

if I had just kept my mouth shut, I could have had the use of the place for a while longer at that great price.

a story...

recently, I found this place in paradise dove that was not only inexpensive, but was brand spanking new.  the place was so good, the facilities there rivaled places that charged twice the daily rate.

anyway, I told many of my friends about the place.  and they were impressed too by the price vs. value.

next thing I know, the place increases their prices.  (?)

I asked the owner why he did that.  he replied quote, "your friend convinced me that I was charging too little."

I then went to my "friend" and asked him why he did that.  his reply, "it's true, they did charge too little.  they deserve to get the going rate."

I then tried to plead my case with other "friends".  some said I was being cheap.  others said quote, "how would you feel if you were the owner?  wouldn't you want to get as much as possible?"  ..and yet others said I was being selfish.

these are all valid opinions.

but I keep thinking to myself... 

if I had just kept my mouth shut, I could have had the use of the place for a while longer at that great price.

yep, there are some real muppets out there, some of them we even have as friends.............always keep the gold for yourself, recommend the silver to your friends!

For that much you would like to pay, you wouldn't find a decent place in BKK. Not even the urban area.

For that much you would like to pay, you wouldn't find a decent place in BKK. Not even the urban area.

My friend lived about 1km from Onnut station and paid 2750 per month. No kitchen, but nice building. If you went without AC, it was 2250 per month. I stayed there a few nights. Not bad. Lots of expats were in the building.

Interesting note: Just spoke with my wife. She reminded me of something I had forgot. At most of these cheap places you have to rent the furniture. Like 300 Baht for a fridge, 300B for a dresser, 200B for a bed, etc. And the utility rates tend to be outrageous...that is how they make their money...

I find it extraordinary that self-respecting farang would leave their home country to come to live in Thailand if they only have enough money to live in a 2500 baht box. I mean, why do it? It can't be for the lifestyle. It can't be quality of life.

If you have no money, ok . .stay where you are and use welfare, rather than be dragged into a poverty spiral in Thailand. I would never live here unless I can do it on my terms and in relative luxury?

So is it for the girls? That is flawed too. You're not going to get much respect from women when they discover you are farang kee nok.

Seems very sad to me.

I find it extraordinary that self-respecting farang would leave their home country to come to live in Thailand if they only have enough money to live in a 2500 baht box.  I mean, why do it?  It can't be for the lifestyle.  It can't be quality of life.

If you have no money, ok . .stay where you are and use welfare, rather than be dragged into a poverty spiral in Thailand.  I would never live here unless I can do it on my terms and in relative luxury?

So is it for the girls?  That is flawed too.  You're not going to get much respect from women when they discover you are farang kee nok.

Seems very sad to me.

Some might say it’s almost as sad as your judgmental, elitist, narrow-minded, condescending attitude…

not that I would, mind you… but some would :o

I find it extraordinary that self-respecting farang would leave their home country to come to live in Thailand if they only have enough money to live in a 2500 baht box.   I mean, why do it?   It can't be for the lifestyle.  It can't be quality of life.

If you have no money, ok . .stay where you are and use welfare, rather than be dragged into a poverty spiral in Thailand.  I would never live here unless I can do it on my terms and in relative luxury?

So is it for the girls?  That is flawed too.  You're not going to get much respect from women when they discover you are farang kee nok.

Seems very sad to me.

Some might say it’s almost as sad as your judgmental, elitist, narrow-minded, condescending attitude…

not that I would, mind you… but some would :o

I've been to several places in that price range.

Bar girls (that's how I got to know it) all around the building, Soi 50, On Nut.

No windows, a concrete box, a shithole.

4 bar girls sharing it, boxes of cheap VCR players and no name TVs, a primitive washing machine and cheap one-off things the punters bought for them.

Two of the girls had their sons there. When they contracted VD, the sons were still around...maybe sleeping on the floor.

A sad place. Even if one wanted to live a decent life there on the cheap, the neighbourhood would distract anyone who did not come from a city council crime ridden estate.

A sad place. That's why I am not coming up with any pics although I have a few dozens from there.

NB: one of the girls living there put me on the phone to talk to her customer at 10:30pm. The guy was at Dusit Thani and was wondering where she was. Just said there was a birthday party (that was true). She gave a shit about him, she loved where she was and the customer had to wait more.

Which is just my point.

I don't think it's condescending to wonder out loud why a farang would give up a relatively affluent and comfortable lifestyle in the west, with all its attendant advantages and safety nets, to live in squalor in Thailand. It's just not rational behaviour.

It's not as if Thailand welcomes people with open arms, is it?

Which is just my point. 

I don't think it's condescending to wonder out loud why a farang would give up a relatively affluent and comfortable lifestyle in the west, with all its attendant advantages and safety nets, to live in squalor in Thailand.  It's just not rational behaviour.

It's not as if Thailand welcomes people with open arms, is it?

I hear ya Bendix. But let me throw this out. I live a relatively affluent and very comfortable lifestyle here in the west. I have everything I need. Live right in the middle of one of the best entertainment capitals in the world (1KM from Times Square, and right next door to Lincoln Center).

But, I have had it here. And I am giving it up to live in Thailand. I lived there for 2 years and loved it. When I was there, to help stretch my money, I lived in some very cheap places. Once stayed on Koh Chang for 100B a night (OK, so I could only handle one night...at least I tried it!). What living cheaply allowed me to do was to live there, sometimes on a beautiful island, and not work...for 2 years!

Let's see...live in LOS, understandably in cheaper surroundings, and not work. Or live in NYC and work like a dog...in the freezing rain, snow, and incredible crowds (try and cram yourself onto the 1/9 train at 8am...you will understand what I mean). Have a quick, and cheap lunch for $15. And head out after work and have a beer for $10 or more. Dinner for two will set you back around $100.

I stayed in one of those 2500B rooms near Soi 50 for a few weeks. It was not really that bad. Marble floor, air con, restaurant down stairs with cheap and awesome Thai food...and they even brought up huge bottles of beer for only 50B. Man, that was paradise! No work, sleeping in, eating great, etc. Paradise. Ok, except for only being able to see Thai TV. Took me some time to break my TV habbit!

OK...sure...I would love to be in a villa over looking the ocean on Phuket. But that would mean 10 more years here. I think I will settle for something less so I don't have to do that. And the apartment I was in was not squalor. It was OK.

Now I will have to say, if I had to work like a dog AND live in one of those places...I don't think I could do that. I would stay where I am...totally agree with you on that one.

My wife lived in one of those places TTM describes. 4 girls in one room, no AC, next to freeway, etc. She did just fine. But she sure does enjoy her king size bed and big screen TV now!

Just some randon thoughts coming from NYC at 7 in the morning....as I read TV and plan for my upcoming trip to LOS!!!!!!

Nice post Craig. It highlights well some of the pros and cons. I do think that some others might be completely unaware of the types of apartments available. Go away from TTM's Sukhumwit and spend a smidgen more than the OP's B2,500 and one can find quite agreeable places to stay.

I thank Bendix for tempering his words on the follow-up post or perhaps explaining his point of view better than before. I, as well, no doubt came off too strong initially to him and for that I apologize.

It just amazes me as to the differences in what some people do and do not find acceptable...particularly without exaggerating like TTM.

It does however point out once again, that people's personal experiences in Thailand are so tied into their attitudes, the people they associate with, and the environment in which they chose to live.

:o

Some very good posts on this thread, especially the fella from NYC. My apologies to the OP for jumping down his throat and appearing condescending.

If the dream is to live in Thailand for a long time and to have cheap accomodation so the trip can be extended, my own preference would be to forget those 2500 crapartments in the outer reaches of Sukhumvit and instead head to one of the island or even a smaller city like Chiang Mai where 4000 would get you a very decent apartment or even house.

Or perhaps there is a reason why it has to be Bangkok.

Either way, good luck with your plans, and no offence.

Some very good posts on this thread, especially the fella from NYC.  My apologies to the OP for jumping down his throat and appearing condescending.   

If the dream is to live in Thailand for a long time and to have cheap accomodation so the trip can be extended, my own preference would be to forget those 2500 crapartments in the outer reaches of Sukhumvit and instead head to one of the island or even a smaller city like Chiang Mai where 4000 would get you a very decent apartment or even house.

Or perhaps there is a reason why it has to be Bangkok.

Either way, good luck with your plans, and no offence.

I was actually wondering what Chiang Mai prices were like, but couldn't find any good information online to that end. Let me maybe give you some background on my situation to help you better understand what I'm looking for.

I'm going to be living in Thailand for 7 months. My life, at this point, is based on the idea of working about 5 months in the summer, and traveling the rest of the year (November - May). This is the first winter I'll be doing this, and decided on Thailand for some of the obvious reasons: lower cost of living, awesome cultural opportunities, etc. I'm not looking for a hooker, or Full Moon Parties, or anything like that. I simply want a cheap place I can live and explore the rest of SE Asia, if I can afford to. So the cheaper the place I get, the more traveling I can do. SW China (Yunnan and Sichuan) is the #1 place on my list, so Chiang Mai would be attractive based on its relative proximity to China compared to Bangkok.

I'd love to hear more about Chiang Mai's housing options, if anyone has lived there, or any specific places they can recommend. I'm more than happy to spend 4,000 a month if it means having a comfortable place.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

If you really want to travel, you might consider not getting an apartment. I know it is cheap, but really limits your activities. For example, why pay for the room in CM when you are in China? It does give you a place to come back to, but if you head to China you should stay at least a month...and getting there is not cheap. And for a real experience, go overland. You will never forget it.

I backpacked around for almost 1 year. Bouncing around SE Asia. It was awesome. I got rooms for $4 in Saigon, and rarely paid over $20 anywhere I went. I know that is more than 4,000B a month...but I could have done it even cheaper. Just too old to do that now.

I almost go back to what Bendix posted. If you are coming here to experience the region, don't limit yourself to one area. CM is awesome, but only one very small part of Asia...and one small part of Thailand. If you are in CM, you can't do day trips to Mae Hong Son, etc. You are limited to the area immediately around CM only.

My German friend does exactly what you do. Work during the summer and travel during the winters. He spends most of his time in Burma. Much cheaper. I think his budget there is like $400 a month. Something to think about....

Anyway, ramblings at 7am while I have my first cup of coffee...dreaming of hitting the road again...my feet are itching!!!!

Best of luck!!!

I was actually wondering what Chiang Mai prices were like, but couldn't find any good information online to that end. 

Hi mattloaf1.

I'm going up to Chaing Mai in the next few days and intend to have a look at apartments and prices around the area. I'll report back by next weekend or sooner most probably.

Mr. Roomfinder is going to launch a National 'Add & Search facility very soon, so as long as landlords are prepared to uploaded their vacancies from around the country we should be able to search for apartments and prices all over Thailand within time.

Aitch

Here's a pretty excellent site I found: side-by-side comparisons of daily and monthly rates in Chiang Mai.

http://www.chiangmai-online.com/apart.html

Looks like the average for a month w/ AC is about 2,500... I realize most of these are guesthouses, but I would guess that means regular apts. can't be far off that price. Maybe no kitchen, TV, or fridge, but I can pretty well guess from my research how much each of those amenities would add to the price of a place.

I find it extraordinary that self-respecting farang would leave their home country to come to live in Thailand if they only have enough money to live in a 2500 baht box.  I mean, why do it?  It can't be for the lifestyle.  It can't be quality of life.

Seems very sad to me.

I live in Phuket in a 2500 a month room. Its awesome, i party with my neighbours all the time, my room is nice, i have a magic rice cooker and a wok. Being retired on tropical islands just seems to make unliMIteD sense to me. I make a lot of money in my birth country and dont have any issues there at all but the whole retirement thing is just too good. Its like be retired and give up some material possessions vs work all day and then buy a lot of shit. Also rum costs 150 bahtz a bottle in Thailand too.

Edited by cooL_guY_corY

Let me know if you achieve the impossible! :o:D