BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
mattloaf1

Recommend An Apartment!

I find all this quite fascinating.

Why do falangs want to live in LOS??

Logical things come to mind like cheap booze and the fact even the desparately dateless in Falangland can get laid.

I hear many references to the culture?,but few long termers I have met bother to learn to speak thai other than the Eee By Gum Thai variety.

Couple that with the number of Falang suicides ?

What is it???

My Missus is thai and their is NO way I can get her to move back to thailand from AUST.

I find it extraordinary that self-respecting farang would leave their home country to come to live in Thailand if they only have enough money to live in a 2500 baht box.  I mean, why do it?  It can't be for the lifestyle.  It can't be quality of life.

If you have no money, ok . .stay where you are and use welfare, rather than be dragged into a poverty spiral in Thailand.  I would never live here unless I can do it on my terms and in relative luxury?

So is it for the girls?  That is flawed too.  You're not going to get much respect from women when they discover you are farang kee nok.

Seems very sad to me.

I live in Phuket in a 2500 a month room. Its awesome, i party with my neighbours all the time, my room is nice, i have a magic rice cooker and a wok. Being retired on tropical islands just seems to make unliMIteD sense to me. I make a lot of money in my birth country and dont have any issues there at all but the whole retirement thing is just too good. Its like be retired and give up some material possessions vs work all day and then buy a lot of shit. Also rum costs 150 bahtz a bottle in Thailand too.

Hi, what comes with that room for 2500b a month in phuket. does it come with a bathroom with western toilet or a squat thing.

what would a one bedroom apt/condo cost with ac, western toilet, and wireless internet connection.

thank you and look forward to your reply

ROFLMAO, the OP is really reaching for the stars in his quest for a place "under 2500 bt". That's like a couple of visits to Starbucks. LOL

Logical things come to mind like cheap booze and the fact even the desparately dateless in Falangland can get laid.

I hear many references to the culture?,but few long termers I have met bother to learn to speak thai other than the Eee By Gum Thai variety.

What is it???

My Missus is thai and their is NO way I can get her to move back to thailand from AUST.

My wife is Thai also and there is NO way that she would want to live in the UK at all. We live up in the central region in a nice house (hers) and a fair bit of land (hers again) and a 16 month old son (ours).

The only concession my wife has made is that our son now has a UK passport and birth certificate and he will get dual nationality.

We have her 2 brothers, 1 sister in law and their son plus a friend and her daughter living with us and it is not crowded.

I get a job overseas most years for a while which tops up the bank account.

The sun shines most days except in the rainy season, the local area is beautiful to live in and the cost of living is low.

I think to live in the UK at this standard I would need to earn in excess of £150,000 a year and have a mortgage of around £350 to £400,000 and bust my ass out working 60 or 70 hours a week.

The real question is why would I NOT want to live in Thailand.

How can you trash a people, culture, and nation with such a perspective?

What is it???

My wife is Thai also and there is NO way that she would want to live in the UK at all. We live up in the central region in a nice house (hers) and a fair bit of land (hers again) and a 16 month old son (ours).

The only concession my wife has made is that our son now has a UK passport and birth certificate and he will get dual nationality.

We have her 2 brothers, 1 sister in law and their son plus a friend and her daughter living with us and it is not crowded.

I get a job overseas most years for a while which tops up the bank account.

The sun shines most days except in the rainy season, the local area is beautiful to live in and the cost of living is low.

I think to live in the UK at this standard I would need to earn in excess of £150,000 a year and have a mortgage of around £350 to £400,000 and bust my ass out working 60 or 70 hours a week.

The real question is why would I NOT want to live in Thailand.

> If the dream is to live in Thailand for a long time and to have cheap

>accomodation so the trip can be extended, my own preference would be to >forget those 2500 crapartments in the outer reaches of Sukhumvit and instead >head to one of the island or even a smaller city like Chiang Mai where 4000 >would get you a very decent apartment or even house.

Or Chiangrai. There's a two story teak house on one rai of land for 1,500 per month down the road from our house. Mountain biking, hiking, jogging, and nature. I live in Bangkok because I have a wonderful special job there, but I can't imagine living there if I didn't.

Cheers.

Or Chiangrai. There's a two story teak house on one rai of land for 1,500 per month down the road from our house. Mountain biking, hiking, jogging, and nature. I live in Bangkok because I have a wonderful special job there, but I can't imagine living there if I didn't.

Cheers.

It comes down the same ole thing which is - it’s not so much you get what you pay for in Thailand but more akin to what you can be bothered to seek out.

I'm in Chiang Mai at the moment and there are loads of places around the 5,000 mark (not so much different to Bkk prices) but the difference between CM & Bkk is that CM also has an abundance of places under 5,000 that are probably more livable than the under 5,000 joints in the capital. This also includes houses that are dotted around the outskirts of the city, and I’ve noticed a lot of long term residents tend to opt for houses over apartments or condos as they get space, great rents, and privacy thrown into the deal.

Going by JoeyBonaparte's post above it gets even better in Chiang Rai but the opportunity for work becomes less for those thinking of moving up here (that's if you still need to earn a wedge on a regular basis).

There have been 3 apartment buildings posted on Roomfinder for CM over the past week or so, including 2 serviced apartments, of which there are about 50 dotted around the city. I'll stick them in this forum when I do the next 'Most Recently Added' post.

I'll be heading East soon and it'll be interesting to see the difference in rents & rooms if indeed there are any.

A lot of people who come to Thailand on long holidays spend more time out of the home than they do in it, so spending heaps of 'holiday cash' on a roof is not a priority for them. I guess some of the earlier posts of this thread didn't take that into consideration when they wrote in disbelief at someone looking for a really cheap place to park their bags.

Anyway, it’s certainly kept this old thread alive.

Aitch

I'm in Chiang Mai at the moment ...

Going by JoeyBonaparte's post above it gets even better in Chiang Rai

Aitch

Hi Aitch,

Actually I think if you look in some of the outer areas of CM you will find better rents. In Mae Rim, I had a very nice fully furnished townhouse, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, good size LR/dining combo area, decent Thai kitchen, tel line but no aircon (but could put in yourself) for 1,000 baht/month. I also found a new, furnished small house on a postage stamp plot for the same price (but no telephone as well as no aircon) In addition to Mae Rim perhaps Doi Saket or Sansai may yield good results.

As you say, you get what you are willing to dig out. You need to be able to be able to read the Thai "For Rent" signs or have someone else who can. Also networking with many Thai friends in the area helps a lot. Good luck in your search! I am putting out my own feelers right now as I will be soon back there.

seeker

I'm in Chiang Mai at the moment ...

Going by JoeyBonaparte's post above it gets even better in Chiang Rai

Aitch

Hi Aitch,

Actually I think if you look in some of the outer areas of CM you will find better rents. In Mae Rim, I had a very nice fully furnished townhouse, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, good size LR/dining combo area, decent Thai kitchen, tel line but no aircon (but could put in yourself) for 1,000 baht/month. I also found a new, furnished small house on a postage stamp plot for the same price (but no telephone as well as no aircon) In addition to Mae Rim perhaps Doi Saket or Sansai may yield good results.

As you say, you get what you are willing to dig out. You need to be able to be able to read the Thai "For Rent" signs or have someone else who can. Also networking with many Thai friends in the area helps a lot. Good luck in your search! I am putting out my own feelers right now as I will be soon back there.

seeker

I'm staying in Hua Hin (Near Bangkok) and prices here can be ridiculous, but if you seek out ye will find the good places!

I found by riding about on my bike a good place and am now staying there. It is a nice brand-new one bedroom apartment with restaurant close-by:

ASDN internet connection, massive comfy bed, weekly cleaning service, aircon/fan climate control (one up from air-con), cable tv, free bottled water, hot shower, massive bathroom, 24 hour security, friendly staff, fully furnished...

All for 5500 baht a month!

Now If you head 3 kms south into the center of town a small room in the backpackers hostel with nowt but a bed and fan will set you back 4500 baht!!!

Off topic here but important...

The key is to roam about a bit! And ye shall find!

One of the most overlooked features of getting a place to stay here (especially one-bedroom apartments) is sun-placement!

You want to endevour to get the room 'facing' the North sandwiched between two floors if possible, NOT towards the south and neither on the corner rooms! This is due to the fact that the equator is soutwards and as the sun passes over anyhead the brunt of its rays will hit the southward (windows) facing rooms first and the north facing rooms will generally be a lot cooler even in the evening! All this is the case where I'm staying but maybe I'm just lucky on the building construction as well??

Happy Hunting...