Sa Kaeo

richard10365

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Sa Kaeo and was wondering if anyone else lives here too.

I'm in Prachinburi, next province over. My impression is that there aren't many farang hereabouts....

There are not many. I discovered one more in my village last week. He is from Holland. That makes 2. But he is leaving in October and there will only be 1 farang in my village again.

I think in Sa Kaeo, there are about 30 to 40 farangs but I'm not sure. The only farangs who live here are those who want peace and quiet, fresh air, cheap food, and very nice people.

I live in Sa Kaeo and was wondering if anyone else lives here too.

I'm in Prachinburi, next province over. My impression is that there aren't many farang hereabouts....

There are not many. I discovered one more in my village last week. He is from Holland. That makes 2. But he is leaving in October and there will only be 1 farang in my village again.

I think in Sa Kaeo, there are about 30 to 40 farangs but I'm not sure. The only farangs who live here are those who want peace and quiet, fresh air, cheap food, and very nice people.

Agree...all the more reason to try to find them so we can have a forum for the forgotten east-central area (Nakorn Nayok-Prachinburi-Sakeo).

Definetely no other farangs in my village or any village in the tambon, and if there are any in the ampur they're well hidden because the ampur doesn't know about them.

It would be nice to be able to share info on locally available goods & services, floods etc...so let's keep hunting. Calling anyone in Nakor Nayok, Prachin or Sa Keow....

:o

There is a restaurant in Wang Nam Yen whose owner lived in the Northwest United States in the USA for 20 years. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas he has a dinner for all the farangs in the area. This is the only time I have seen more than 3 farangs in the same village.

Here is the website if your interested.

http://www.palmgardenrestaurant.com/index.html

His t-bone steak is pretty good if your interested in that. If you ever go, it's best to call ahead if you want steak so he can pick the best slice of beef for you.

Perhaps you can make one of the gatherings this year.

There is a restaurant in Wang Nam Yen whose owner lived in the Northwest United States in the USA for 20 years. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas he has a dinner for all the farangs in the area. This is the only time I have seen more than 3 farangs in the same village.

His t-bone steak is pretty good if your interested in that. If you ever go, it's best to call ahead if you want steak so he can pick the best slice of beef for you.

Thanks, If I'm in country at the holidays I'll come.

Who would have thought Fettucini Alfredo could be found on rte 317?? :o

Thanks, If I'm in country at the holidays I'll come.

Who would have thought Fettucini Alfredo could be found on rte 317?? :o

Until I ran out last week, grits was found at my place along route 317. :D

Anyone live there?

It's not a central Thailand, much of it has been incorporated into Sa Kaew in 1993.

What a wasteland it is. My gf's home town (Wang Sombun) now belongs to Sa Kaew, not to Chantaburi. As it would make any difference.

Been there, no desire to set my foot again into that wasteland.

Guys living there - did SK talk you away from commiting a suicide? What dump had you lived in before?

Hey Muldoon, If you don't like Wang Somboon, I am sure no one will miss your annual charity visit.

I have lived in Wang Somboon for over a year now. I like it so much I am going to build a house in this district next year.

It's not the bustling night life that keeps me here, it's the people.

It's also the fact that many farangs like youself don't come here that keeps me here. Not that there is anything wrong with you, it just seems like the type of entertainment you might be looking for might cause problems in a small community.

Wang Somboon is the type of community that my parents use to talk about when I was a kid but don't seem to exist anymore in the USA. The place where everyone knows everyone and its still safe to walk down the street along at night. A place where neighbors help neighbors. I have never been anywhere like this before and I can't really see myself living anywhere else.

This is the most peaceful place I have ever lived. I love being able to go running in the evening and people say hello as you pass by. The views and bueaty of the sprawling lush green farm fields and the distant mountians to the east of Wang Somboon are awesome. There are hills to the south are full of farms trails that are great for mountian biking.

Food in the market is very cheap and very fresh. I can get just about everything I like to eat there. The only thing I can't get is cheese, potatoes, and bacon. I go to Bangkok for that.

I don't miss any TV either. I have UBC here as well as DSL. In fact, my DSL dosen't suffer the problems associated with other areas in Thailand because not many people are using highspeed DSL. 99% of the time, I get the posted speeds.

Much of the greed associated with areas frequented by farangs is not here at all. People are very nice here. Of course Wang Somboon, like anyplace else, has its share or problems, but it's something I can live with.

post-19457-1127088167_thumb.jpg

post-19457-1127088367_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard10365

Hey Muldoon, If you don't like Wang Somboon,  I am sure no one will miss your annual charity visit.

I have lived in Wang Somboon for over a year now. I like it so much I am going to build a house in this district next year.

It's not the bustling night life that keeps me here, it's the people.

It's also the fact that many farangs like youself don't come here that keeps me here. Not that there is anything wrong with you, it just seems like the type of entertainment you might be looking for might cause problems in a small community.

Wang Somboon is the type of community that my parents use to talk about when I was a kid but don't seem to exist anymore in the USA. The place where everyone knows everyone and its still safe to walk down the street along at night. A place where neighbors help neighbors. I have never been anywhere like this before and I can't really see myself living anywhere else.

This is the most peaceful place I have ever lived. I love being able to go running in the evening and people say hello as you pass by. The views and bueaty of the sprawling lush green farm fields and the distant mountians to the east of Wang Somboon are awesome. There are hills to the south are full of farms trails that are great for mountian biking.

Food in the market is very cheap and very fresh. I can get just about everything I like to eat there. The only thing I can't get is cheese, potatoes, and bacon. I go to Bangkok for that.

I don't miss any TV either. I have UBC here as well as DSL. In fact, my DSL dosen't suffer the problems associated with other areas in Thailand because not many people are using highspeed DSL. 99% of the time, I get the posted speeds.

Much of the greed associated with areas frequented by farangs is not here at all. People are very nice here. Of course Wang Somboon, like anyplace else, has its share or problems, but it's something I can live with.

post-19457-1127088167_thumb.jpg

I dont believe I've ever been to Wang Somboon, I should really explore the district more throughly given that it is where my mom is from.

Hey Muldoon, If you don't like Wang Somboon,  I am sure no one will miss your annual charity visit.

Richard, just for clarity sake, I believe you are confusing "Muldoon" posts with "Think Not Enough."

btw, been through SaKaew myself several times and your descriptions as well as my own observations lend me to believe further that, indeed, it's a very nice place to be... Enjoy.

Richard, just for clarity sake, I believe you are confusing "Muldoon" posts with "Think Not Enough."

btw, been through SaKaew myself several times and your descriptions as well as my own observations lend me to believe further that, indeed, it's a very nice place to be... Enjoy.

Ummmm.....Thanks sriracha john. I do apoligize to Mr Muldoon.... Thanks for pointing that out. If you guys ever visit, the beers are on me. Cheers! :D

Ummmm.....Thanks sriracha john. I do apoligize to Mr Muldoon.... Thanks for pointing that out. If you guys ever visit, the beers are on me. Cheers! :D

It's a deal... but I'll have to overlook your Army past.... :D

How far up the road are you from Pak Nom Ron in Chantaburi? Perhaps next visa trip could be extended further North.

:D

We don´t live there but have a house in Khao Chagan, better say a village next to Khao Chagan.I like it there and I can imagine to retire in Sa Keao town.

Khao Chagan is a very pretty place. The mountians there and its many caves covered with monkeys is always an interesting place to visit.

Sa Kaeo is usually very green except for the end of the cool season and hot season (Dec - Feb). This is when the leaves fall off the trees, the grass turns yellow, and the farmers burn everything. But once the rains start again, the green returns very quickly.

How far up the road are you from Pak Nom Ron in Chantaburi? Perhaps next visa trip could be extended further North.

I am about 30 to 40 km from Pong Nom Ron. I am right on the border of Sa Kaeo and Chantaburi.

As far as my Army past is concerned, I try my best to over look it as well.

Speaking of Pong Nom Ron, do you know where exactly the white water rafting is that is supposed to be there?

I am about 30 to 40 km from Pong Nom Ron. I am right on the border of Sa Kaeo and Chantaburi.

As far as my Army past is concerned, I try my best to over look it as well.

Speaking of Pong Nom Ron, do you know where exactly the white water rafting is that is supposed to be there?

Oh... ok not far up then... perhaps take you up on that offer.

Last time over to Chantaburi, we passed a few places, but we will going there within the month (before the rain stops)... we checked it out and it looked pretty nice:

http://www.phayakumpuch.thiewthai.com/map.htm

(look for the flashing point on the map)

You could have given me some leeway.

After waking up to this view for 15 years (Sydney, Potts Point):

sydview3.jpg

I found it a degradation in life to wake up to this (Wang Sombun):

land2.JPG

My gf was raised at their market, her mother had a stall there.

The people there are friendly, even over the top. Drink with everyone and anyone but nothing can hide the blanket of boredom that covers the area.

Scarce national parks and natural beauty, waterfalls, hills with temples and monkeys...

You know what the locals told me? If it were not for me (and taking them there in the car), they would have never visited the places. They and their children have never been there.

So, what they have to show is not a fixture available end open to enjoyment. Like Bondi Beach in Sydney is open and free to anyone.

Just chatting with my gf...

she says, rop-bu-rii is the place where the temples and the monkeys are.

Close to "lopburi" handle.

Where we went is "kow soy daew"

Think_too_mutt,....let me know when your back in town. I'll spring for the beers and we can sit on the side of the road and watch traffic go buy..lol.

If thats not enough fun we can try thai style fishing, I can show you how to do that. It might break the boredom.

If your wondering what Thai style fishing is,....its when you toss the net into the water and go in after it. I know a place where you always catch something.

I did the western style fishing Sunday. I almost caught a nice fish but he broke my line.

Hey,...there is 1 other farang here from Holland. His name is Barry. He says he knows of someone else here but who is not here at the present time. I wonder if he is talking about you?

Just chatting with my gf...

she says, rop-bu-rii is the place where the temples and the monkeys are.

Close to "lopburi" handle.

Where we went is "kow soy daew"

Think_too_mutt,....let me know when your back in town. I'll spring for the beers and we can sit on the side of the road and watch traffic go buy..lol.

If thats not enough fun we can try thai style fishing, I can show you how to do that. It might break the boredom.

If your wondering what Thai style fishing is,....its when you toss the net into the water and go in after it. I know a place where you always catch something.

I did the western style fishing Sunday. I almost caught a nice fish but he broke my line.

Hey,...there is 1 other farang here from Holland. His name is Barry. He says he knows of someone else here but who is not here at the present time. I wonder if he is talking about you?

Most likely not me. The only farang I heard of is an English teacher that had a motorbike accident. He was recovering 10 months ago, hope he is well and kicking now.

My Gf and our baby live in BKK, I live in Tokyo. We go to Wang Sombun once a year now.

It has become a tradition that we throw a NY Eve party. All the neighbourhood children come, their parents too.

p04.jpg

There I get good time and drinking and hangovers comparable to my Uni years.

In the next province over, I'm in a village so small the village next to it hasn't heard of it.....100 meters from a meditation center, surrounded by exotic birds, at the foot of Khao Yai, utterly clean air, crystal clear night skies (when it's not raining), buy my food at a nightly farmers market straight from the folks who grow it. No malls, no bars, everything shuts down by 8 PM. :o Obviously not for everyone, but I love it.

• 6 months later...

I was pleased to find this thread some weeks ago, especially the info about the annual dinner in Wang Nam Yen. Is the main street photo of WNY? It looks a bit like it from memory. But I protest, as there is excitement in the town: a Karaoke bar!!! So I'm sure there must be more than one in the great metropolis of Sa Kaeo.

A few months ago I asked on the Thai language forum for a translation of WNY, and was told 'Cool Water Palace' hence my name. But what cool water palace and where, exactly? Intuition suggests the town may have had its origins in being near a fresh water spring or well.

By the way, there are posts about WNY (found by a search for WNY) which refer to a political faction of that name in the south, so what's the relationship between a name with that meaning and a political group? Any ideas?

Sad though that the dinner must wait, as I shall be in Thailand in June, first time for 14 months, and more by luck than planning to coincide with the jubilee. Perhaps in November? It would be my very first thanksgiving dinner.

Seriously though, I've seen some very pleasant parts, all in the space of 2-3 days: the park and lake, and the temple with the greedy and aggressive monkeys. One photo of a monkey and an interesting blue haze photo through the window of a bus attached.

post-24136-1145032095_thumb.jpg