Mae Nam To Lamai In 20 Minutes.

Not actually finished as there is still a couple of places where the concrete road has only once side of it laid but ...

It's now possible to take a bike up and over all the way from Soi 1 to Buddies. A bit hairy in places and absolutely no good for travelling unsober at night as there are drop-offs and no lighting. Hopefully the trucks will stay put as they won't handle the climbs but as for the rest of us ....

:welcomeani::burp::guitar::w00t::thumbsup::guitar: :guitar: :w00t::guitar::welcomeani:

Where does it start in Maenam

" It's now possible to take a bike up and over all the way from Soi 1"... as quoted in original post! :rolleyes:

But Rooo's post "New WRC track." is going to keep me up all night trying to figure that out :D ??? :blink:

Will try this soon too... almost half the time of taking the ring road... any 7-11's en route? ;)

" It's now possible to take a bike up and over all the way from Soi 1"... as quoted in original post! :rolleyes:

But Rooo's post "New WRC track." is going to keep me up all night trying to figure that out :D ??? :blink:

Will try this soon too... almost half the time of taking the ring road... any 7-11's en route? ;)

Some years back Jimmy, I mentioned in jest that a round of WRC " World Rally Championship " was to be held on Samui.That was of course with my' High Speed Ferry" to Bangkok .

Hiya - Soi 1 - the closest soi to the police station - Fresh Mart on the corner.

After the big Kirikayan Resort the road wangs off to the left and heads up and over.

Test it in the daylight hours. Take a chum, too. That way one of you can call Samui Rescue!

R

Hiya - Soi 1 - the closest soi to the police station - Fresh Mart on the corner.

After the big Kirikayan Resort the road wangs off to the left and heads up and over.

Test it in the daylight hours. Take a chum, too. That way one of you can call Samui Rescue!

R

Thanks mate, now i know where we are. Just was'nt sure of soi 1

Edited by oldsailor35

Great road! Bit skinny in places for serious 2 way traffic and some serious drop offs as previously mentioned.

Great views though and concrete all the way. Some steep gradients to add to the fun, so check your brakes first!

Nice one!

Great road! Bit skinny in places for serious 2 way traffic and some serious drop offs as previously mentioned.

Great views though and concrete all the way. Some steep gradients to add to the fun, so check your brakes first!

Nice one!

Cycling there in the morning. :crying: My keep fit campaign. :sick:

Nice one!

Agreed, great road- tried it yesterday on the old honda click both ways. Back to lamai by the temple in just under 19mins.

saw only 2 cars the whole trip.

Finally got to try this trip today, before the rain started :angry:.... the road is now completely cemented & they are adding the side rails to some of the sharp curves, the crew manager said about 3 more days.... Pretty good road, saw a number of people walking & a lot of us "farangs" on motor bikes...

Stopped at the waterfalls which is 1.5 km off to the right at about km 9 from Maenam.... certainly worth a stop & walk down too... Someone has made a pretty good walkway down to the falls, we were greeted by a Burmese husband and wife team who seem to be caretakers of the small farm, (nicely kept)... I think at some point there will be a restaurant there....... (or perhaps another 7-11.....:D) .................Cold pop, & beer on ice at reasonable prices.... Fantastic views, although a bit cloudy... today!

Just made it to Lamai before that Monsoon started, and got stuck at the little market behind the Pitt Gas station for a good hour & a half.... or more...:annoyed:

On way back there was a lot of washed out areas of sand .... so I suspect that 3 days will now be a little longer to finish every thing.... crew had packed up & gone home, can't say I blame them! !

The Turn at Maenam, (Soi 1) is where the large white (blank) Billboard sign is).....

should make it into a huge walking street. if not then i know i am free to run through it naked as i have always wishes. can u be nicked for indesent exposure. Anyway it would be worth it. It is the thrill of the chase. Just hope no Strap on Sallies chase me or some lady boys. well i would at least run faster.

infact i might by some lady boys and lock them in a cage. When someone i don't like comes round. then instead of releasing the hounds release the lady boys. a get ruined

should make it into a huge walking street. if not then i know i am free to run through it naked as i have always wishes. can u be nicked for indesent exposure. Anyway it would be worth it. It is the thrill of the chase. Just hope no Strap on Sallies chase me or some lady boys. well i would at least run faster.

infact i might by some lady boys and lock them in a cage. When someone i don't like comes round. then instead of releasing the hounds release the lady boys. a get ruined

Man your really on a "streaking" kick lately Big C....:D I don't think this is quite the right place to try it...... but perhaps take off on some of the side trails.... but then still be careful ... there might be some buffalo s with big horns,,,, ( I could word that differently!!!!;))

Is this anything to do with you being pregnant??? You must be close to being due soon, we've not seen any progress reports on that lately..... :lol:;)

Seriously though, I think this route would be much safer than running the gauntlet on the Ring road to Tesco Chawang, in the heavy & smoggy traffic, ..... I might do more shopping in Lamai...

Man your really on a "streaking" kick lately Big C....:D I don't think this is quite the right place to try it...... but perhaps take off on some of the side trails.... but then still be careful ... there might be some buffalo s with big horns,,,, ( I could word that differently!!!!;))

Is this anything to do with you being pregnant??? You must be close to being due soon, we've not seen any progress reports on that lately..... :lol:;)

Seriously though, I think this route would be much safer than running the gauntlet on the Ring road to Tesco Chawang, in the heavy & smoggy traffic, ..... I might do more shopping in Lamai...

well i am a man so it would be dificult for me to be pregnant but my misses is due soon so i do not have much time let to act like a t+at. lol. Also u have just put me of the streeking as being a man and a straight man i would not appricaite a buffflow horn hitting my from behinde specially when i am naked :D

do u rememeber that filme " Old school" when thqat man " The Tank "has a steeking party through the town thinking that everyone was behinde him but turned out that there was not.

Thats me

Edited by BigC

Nice one!

Cycling there in the morning. :crying: My keep fit campaign. :sick:

can someone set their km dial and find out how many Kms it is from manam to lamui. if possible cheers :thumbsup:

Can we get some pictures?

Have pictures, just need time to re-size & up load..... :rolleyes: (SOON!)

As for the kilometers, I did that, at the beginning of trip but had a "senior moment" and forgot to check at Lamai end, (it started to "P" down with rain, so that distracted looking for cover! :angry:

I think about 15 to 18 kms from the bridge in Maenam... doing the side trip to the waterfall, would have added about 3 km...

It was about 9 kms to the top (good views) from Maenam, I think the work foreman said about 6 down to Lamai.

OK just got on with it & resized ...... here are a few photos!

The road after the rain, the other day got a bit sandy in spots ....

The waterfall is a slight detour, drive in about 1.5 km (it's sign posted) then a hike down to see it.... worth while if you are into that sort of thing.... the picture of the banana plants is where the start of the walk to the falls are.

I've not uploaded some of the view shots, since it was a little cloudy! .... but on clear days I think would be pretty nice!

post-85461-0-19960000-1300501918_thumb.j

post-85461-0-59271500-1300501942_thumb.j

post-85461-0-43554600-1300502015_thumb.j

post-85461-0-16744800-1300502055_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Drove the new road today in the car. Nice road but at the moment it is covered in a lot of places with a lot of sand / mud run off after the rain. Did it from Maenam to Lamai at 11am and didn't see another car or bike the whole journey. Some good viewpoints along the way. A great short cut if you are heading from that way around the island. Forgot to clock it on the trip but will do it again and give you are reading :D

18 kms from the traffic lights in Maenam to Tesco Lamai! without detours... Still pretty quiet, yesterday ... they had cleaned off some of the wash down sand, yesterday... more so at the Lamai end, new section , but the crews were working....

"Officially" not open yet according to the locals....

There was a couple of "Yahoo's" doing two wheelies on Quad bikes towards Maenam! ... well at least they had helmets on! :rolleyes:

Drove the new road today in the car. Nice road but at the moment it is covered in a lot of places with a lot of sand / mud run off after the rain. Did it from Maenam to Lamai at 11am and didn't see another car or bike the whole journey. Some good viewpoints along the way. A great short cut if you are heading from that way around the island. Forgot to clock it on the trip but will do it again and give you are reading :D

i suppose some locals wil open some resturants and business on route. good for pit stops. maybe gas would help wouldn't like to be out of it half way through lol

i suppose some locals wil open some resturants and business on route. good for pit stops. maybe gas would help wouldn't like to be out of it half way through lol

Well first will have to put in electric lines.... most of the road "No Have" :D Perhaps why the new substation in Maenam??? <_<

Kilometer wise it's about the same as the ring road, I clocked that yesterday.... within a km or so.... a least..... just saves dealing with all the traffic & lights... at least for now anyway!