Mae Nam To Lamai In 20 Minutes.

Jimmy where is the waterfall you mentioned was just off the road ? I didn't see any signs when I drove it and I do like a good waterfall :D

Old Mac Dunc! As Birdman mentions its the earth /dirt road, but I am not sure what is meant by the "toilette" I must have missed that.... ??? :blink::) (could be any big tree? ;)) There are signs... saying "Water Fall". As you can see from Birdmans or my pictures , it's not the biggest waterfall on the island, but still a nice little hike...

Coming from Lamai you would turn left, follow the dirt road, ... you pass a few shanty shacks with chickens & dogs...... just keep going until you see the Cement structure, still under construction.... The sign at the beginning of the dirt road says 1.5 KM to waterfall..... It's on the Lamai side of the down hill run...

The one turn that could through people off and not marked is where the main concrete road bares to the right perhaps about 4 km out of Lamai.... I am not sure yet where that road goes if you go straight on... an adventure for another day perhaps?

Just be aware, Big C might be streaking his way around the jungle! :D

(The Secret waterfalls off Soi 5 Maenam are bigger and if you walk up the right you can get to more falls & pools above.... Follow signs for Canopy Adventure tours)

Edited by samuijimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Well apparently a few washed out areas and rocks on this road, so official opening, will be delayed! Still passable on motorbike according to a neighbour who did the trip today.

Personally, I think a lot safer than than doing it through all the traffic, hills are not that bad!

Look forward to when re-completed. .... but no doubt other priorities to complete first....

Well apparently a few washed out areas and rocks on this road, so official opening, will be delayed! Still passable on motorbike according to a neighbour who did the trip today.

Personally, I think a lot safer than than doing it through all the traffic, hills are not that bad!

Look forward to when re-completed. .... but no doubt other priorities to complete first....

not passable by car, the street is broken at a steeper part coming from Menam.

not passable by car, the street is broken at a steeper part coming from Menam.

Yes! definitely not for anything than two wheels in a few spots!!! Also not for night driving!

Coming from Lamai the first 8 km or so has had a grader to remove most of the sand/rubble off the road... .. lots of fill to use on repairs....;)

It's through the hillier areas that is the worst.... at least they are working on it! Judging by the some of the wash outs, it must have been quite a torrent of water flowing down...

"Watch for falling rock!" signs, reminds me of my life on British Columbia's "Wet Coast" ... where this sort of thing is quite common on the logging roads... sometimes on main roads!

A few pics attached! ...

Driving around the island via Nanton way, the main road is actually in pretty good shape, those areas with damage are well marked.. I think I counted about spots, that were marked for caution.... to "Slow down".... so to give some credit to the roads people, they have done the initial cleanup quite quickly....

post-85461-0-33020500-1302481867_thumb.j

post-85461-0-60100700-1302481880_thumb.j

post-85461-0-93717700-1302481896_thumb.j

post-85461-0-51641600-1302481916_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Soi one to Lamai road now open for 4 wheel vehicles again....

It is not re concreted yet, but all holes are filled in.... I think they need time to let soil/ sand settle...and pack down.... before they re- concrete.

Given the nature of the soil and banks / hill sides and the fact that the piece that was worst affected was the last area laid, it would hardly be surprising that was the worst effected as concrete takes time to cure ..... month at minimum, but much longer for a harder set.

Considering the amount of ab-normal rain in March / April, that would normally not happen when completion was done, I don't think there would have been as much damage to that worst hit section.... (actually a very small area, considering the 18 +- Km of road.... )

I would expect to see, more mud / sand slides, just because of the type of soil.... So in my books they actually did a pretty good job, considering the nature of the terrain....

I saw they are laying the black water pipe along part of the road too, all they need now, is electric! Samui's next subdivision! :o

There is a bridge near the Temple in Maenan off Soi 4, which was undermined that has not cracked, built in 2049 (Thai Calender) I think, so that shows that harder concrete is stronger... not that I would want to drive a 5 ton truck over it!

Soi one to Lamai road now open for 4 wheel vehicles again....

It is not re concreted yet, but all holes are filled in.... I think they need time to let soil/ sand settle...and pack down.... before they re- concrete.

Given the nature of the soil and banks / hill sides and the fact that the piece that was worst affected was the last area laid, it would hardly be surprising that was the worst effected as concrete takes time to cure ..... month at minimum, but much longer for a harder set.

Considering the amount of ab-normal rain in March / April, that would normally not happen when completion was done, I don't think there would have been as much damage to that worst hit section.... (actually a very small area, considering the 18 +- Km of road.... )

I would expect to see, more mud / sand slides, just because of the type of soil.... So in my books they actually did a pretty good job, considering the nature of the terrain....

I saw they are laying the black water pipe along part of the road too, all they need now, is electric! Samui's next subdivision! :o

There is a bridge near the Temple in Maenan off Soi 4, which was undermined that has not cracked, built in 2049 (Thai Calender) I think, so that shows that harder concrete is stronger... not that I would want to drive a 5 ton truck over it!

on my way whoooosh i am gone .......................

I rode it yesterday and is only passable by motorbike. A total disgrace for the amount of time it lasted.

No rebar at all spotted in that pic, looks like the soil is still present on either side of the road, just washed out underneath, and 2 inches of concrete (should be 6 inches or more) with no steel rebar. Typical of the filtering out of monies for public works.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a ride around the Island today, it's 70 kms from door to door to my place in Maenam... including a small side trip to Thaling Gnam!

I was hoping to take the road from Lamai to Maenam, but is closed to all traffic, while they re-do the road... no time frame mentioned...

I just thought everyone would like an update on that! :D

Although I did hear on the "bongo drums" yesterday, that traffic was coming through Soi One, as a diversion as the had been a major accident in the Chawang - Bopout area of the ring road , perhaps around 4 pm???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

any updates on the road condition? open to cars/trucks yet?

Finally they have filled in the two bad patches near the top.... not cemented but at least passable by car /truck.... always has been OK for motorbike... with some caution....

Very sandy on the Maenam side of the down hill run where they have filled in... so caution needed especially on motor bikes....

I suspect they will not re- cement it until after the rainy season, if we ever get one! :o

Finally they have filled in the two bad patches near the top.... not cemented but at least passable by car /truck.... always has been OK for motorbike... with some caution....

Very sandy on the Maenam side of the down hill run where they have filled in... so caution needed especially on motor bikes....

I suspect they will not re- cement it until after the rainy season, if we ever get one! :o

COURSE we will! Don't be silly! It will come around Songkran maybe . . . :whistling:

Edited by robsamui

COURSE we will! Don't be silly! It will come around Songkran maybe . . . :whistling:

Will make sure I have my brolly out for Songkran :lol:just in case!

• 1 year later...

OK just got on with it & resized ...... here are a few photos!

The road after the rain, the other day got a bit sandy in spots ....

The waterfall is a slight detour, drive in about 1.5 km (it's sign posted) then a hike down to see it.... worth while if you are into that sort of thing.... the picture of the banana plants is where the start of the walk to the falls are.

I've not uploaded some of the view shots, since it was a little cloudy! .... but on clear days I think would be pretty nice!

u spend allot of time on this road ever thought about opening a medical standby half way as there is no phone resception in the hill would need radios?

• Like 1

The waterfall is a slight detour, drive in about 1.5 km (it's sign posted) then a hike down to see it.... worth while if you are into that sort of thing.... the picture of the banana plants is where the start of the walk to the falls are.

I've not uploaded some of the view shots, since it was a little cloudy! .... but on clear days I think would be pretty nice!

u spend allot of time on this road ever thought about opening a medical standby half way as there is no phone resception in the hill would need radios?

maybe some racing style flags.. like black flag for stop car turn round as danger ahead. red flag mean hazard ahead drive slow. green flag for slow down.

u have have a sfety car petroling it with cctv video, radio mega phone. maybe some advertising. and some sexy rescue ladies with bekinis in the back. actually i might want an accident if i see that. in my lower region he he.

maybe some racing style flags.. like black flag for stop car turn round as danger ahead. red flag mean hazard ahead drive slow. green flag for slow down.

u have have a sfety car petroling it with cctv video, radio mega phone. maybe some advertising. and some sexy rescue ladies with bekinis in the back. actually i might want an accident if i see that. in my lower region he he.

Big C you are babbling about something here, but I don't think any of use quite understand what.... ? whistling.gifwink.png

Get the round a bout sorted in your mind ... biggrin.pngtongue.png

Jimmy,

Big C you are babbling about something here, but I don't think any of use quite understand what.... ? whistling.gif wink.png

Do not fret, Big C has this image of you . He understands you frequent that road a lot & thought you might put your talents to good use & help people by setting up a First Aid station..

I think this is what Big C imagines you look like.

• Like 2

Jimmy,

Big C you are babbling about something here, but I don't think any of use quite understand what.... ? whistling.gif wink.png

Do not fret, Big C has this image of you . He understands you frequent that road a lot & thought you might put your talents to good use & help people by setting up a First Aid station..

I think this is what Big C imagines you look like.

attachicon.gifSamui Jim.jpg

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Not quite! tongue.png

But what about the maze of roads that all connect up.... Soi 1 and Soi 5 to Lamai, or Nanton, Lipa noi, Hau Thaunon, etc etc... What should they do, have a safety station every kilometer?

And here is Big C wanting places to take his quad vehicle a few weeks ago.... I guess that's why the problem with the roundabout! laugh.png

View of roads from Lamai's Big Buddha...

IMG_0305.JPG

This might cause great confusion....w00t.gif

IMG_0335.JPG

One of our "northern TV members, thoroughly enjoyed all these roads the other day! We did Soi 5 to the new Temple, then down to Hau Thaunon, then back via Soi 1 to Maenam thumbsup.gif

IMG_0344.JPG

Some times a traffic jam, and passenger may have to do a bit of walking on hills ! whistling.gif

IMG_0252.JPG

It's actually surprising how many people use these roads, both locals and farangs.... Also the Safari trucks! wink.png

Done this route a couple of months ago in pick-up truck,about one kilometre in from Maenam there was slight damage to the road but apart from the damage and the groups of 50 Russians on mopeds parked up in the middle of the road it was a pleasant trip,when friends and family come I like to take them over the top of the island great views.

• Like 2

done most of the trip in neutral using minimum gasoline or desiel. no point putting into gear thoug it is not correct driving as u have less control but anyway i dont half the trip in nutral

done most of the trip in neutral using minimum gasoline or desiel. no point putting into gear thoug it is not correct driving as u have less control but anyway i dont half the trip in nutral

Diesel you spell this way .... is this you on the bike and is that your first aid kit you are carrying????tongue.pngbiggrin.png

IMG_0466.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy