Barry's New Golf Course

mumbojumbo

So how do you get your wife to believe you when you say you are going down to the old airport for a hamburger Limbo? :yohan::lock::lol:

555!

That's a good one Scea!

She came to Chiang Rai one year ago, so she has

no idea what 'the old airport' meant in former days.

I try to keep it that way ...

Limbo :yohan:

Can not resist anymore. What does 555 mean.

Thai pronunciation of the word/number five = Ha. Therefore, ha, ha , ha is replaced by some with 555.

Thai pronunciation of the word/number five = Ha. Therefore, ha, ha , ha is replaced by some with 555.

Maybe I have to elaborate on this.

Ha, ha, ha is replaced in Thai digital language by 555!

And many foreigners living in Thailand adopted it.

So 'some' as Kandahar wished to call it, might be an understatement.

Thanks for the question anyhow.

It took me also long time to dare to ask the meaning of it.

We learn ... 555!

And many foreigners living in Thailand adopted it.

So 'some' as Kandahar wished to call it, might be an understatement.

Thanks for the question anyhow.

We learn ... 555!

"Some." Maybe I should just say that I have never used it and probably never will. I think there might be a few others in that boat. Now, THAT is an understatement.

We learn ... 555!

"Some." Maybe I should just say that I have never used it and probably never will. I think there might be a few others in that boat. Now, THAT is an understatement.

Thank you very much for your elaboration.

I think also that the Thai readers of this forum, if any left, will

respect very much your wish to avoid anything Thai. You might loose

your identity if you wouldn't.

Avoid rice, stick to the potatoes, to say it in other words!

And I am sure that there will be more than a few, not to say a lot of

others in that boat.

I'm not sure if I should complement you for that.

We learn ... 555!

others in that boat.

1. I can't complement you on your deduction skills. I have reread my post and I can't see how anyone with common sense can deduce that I said I avoid everything Thai. I have taken it a step further and tried to see how you could even logically rationalize what I did write, into what you say I wrote. But again, there is just no way to come to your conclusion if common sense is employed. In future thinking, try going step one, step two, step three and so on. You will probably find yourself on the winning end of evaluations a little more often. Your current pattern of step one, step seven, step eleven isn't a sound way to proceed and is no doubt a cause for unneeded embarrassment. No offence intended here. I'm just trying to bring you up to speed. "Up to speed." That is a phrase that is commonly used in some other parts of the world. I will take no offence whatsoever if the Thais do not adopt it in this country or when they visit my own. If Thais living in my country refuse to use that phrase, I doubt I'll be accusing them of not liking cheeseburgers or pizza.

2. Of course there are Thai readers of this forum.

3. It took me to the second time of seeing 555 in writing on an e-mail to inquire as to what it meant. I didn't arrive for my first visit to Thailand for another four months after that. I'm not too proud to ask for an answer to put an end to my ignorance of an item.

4. When are you going to stop by for a visit? This is all fun but it would be better in person.

We learn ... 555!

others in that boat.

While we're on the subject of Thai food, how is the Lasagne, Spaghetti Bolognaise etc etc from the Deli you often frequent? I've never had the pleasure but would like to one day.

And how about the refreshing imported beers you're keen on, worth the extra $ over the Thai beverages available? ;)

4. When are you going to stop by for a visit? This is all fun but it would be better in person.

At least two times a day I pass your house, by car or by bicycle.

Believe me or not, but I developed the rutine to look if I see

somebody around that looks like the daddy on your avatar as it

could be you.

By the way: I found a good electrician not far from your house.

He speaks a little bit English and did a good and clean job.

He just opened his shop.

Where?

From your house you go to the left (direction Kangaroo Bar) and

then you will find him after four hundred meters at your right.

Just in case ...

At least two times a day I pass your house, by car or by bicycle.

Believe me or not, but I developed the rutine to look if I see

somebody around that looks like the daddy on your avatar as it

could be you.

By the way: I found a good electrician not far from your house.

He speaks a little bit English and did a good and clean job.

He just opened his shop.

Where?

From your house you go to the left (direction Kangaroo Bar) and

then you will find him after four hundred meters at your right.

Just in case ...

Thanks for that. Maybe I have employed him here already. Have used several that have been recommended to me and they live in this area. I always ask the "old" uncle for recommendations. Between he and his daughter, they know all there is to know about people in this neighborhood and who is handy with what and whether or not they can get by in English.

I saw you in town on the bike yesterday or the day before. Can't recall the day for sure. Time does not register correctly in my memory. Too many drugs in my past, I suppose.

The uncle lives three or four houses towards the K bar from my driveway, left side, big fence and gate. Cousins, other aunts and uncles and such live beyond, in between and next to us, on both sides. This is the old family hill, from the days when it was still a forest with dirt trails. There is a second branch of the family, Indian, who have a large area near Ha Yak. They come pay their respects to the MIL once a year. They have the news, scuttlebutt and knowledge about their area of town. And yet a third branch, former Thai police commander descendants, live in the south eastern corner of town. Those were the days, from what I told.

Don't look for me in the driveway. Turn in, drive as far as you can go and ask for me. Almost always here.

Edited by kandahar

BTW, I am not the father of those children in the pic. But I am the guy in the pic, less the beard these days. The two children belong to a friend, a Kurdish fellow in the north of Iraq. I worked with Kurds and Peshmerga there. The father of those children sometimes brought them to work with him. Good guy, good kids. The Peshmerga were good people too, as long as they are on your side. All of the Kurdish children I met were wonderful. Most of the adults were also. Unfortunately, I am sure that some of the adults have perished since then. They pay a high price for "collaborating" and I carry some of the responsibility of that to my grave.

My dear Skybluestu, about your question:

The lasagna is like a brick, it takes 35 minutes to defrost.

I didn't have it for a long time as I am trying to loose weight.

Let me simply put it this way: You start by thinking that you only

will manage to eat half of it and then suddenly it's all gone...

Sometimes I take the spaghetti home. It's good, but it is a matter of

taste and I am not the right person to judge.

I mostly buy my cheese and smoked salmon there and they are

very good.

. . . . . . A beer like a poem!

The beers are another story!

We talk here about the Weihenstephaner, a beer brewed in Germany

'leaning' on the directives of the old Bavarian Purity Law (1516).

There are several options: clear, 'hefe' or dark, Korbianer and top

of the pops is the Vitus Doppelbock.

The standard ones are 150 Baht and the two specials are 165, much

cheaper than for instance in the tourist restaurants at the main

road, where you would pay more than 200 Baht.

The Korbianer is a dark tastefull beer, a swirling symphony.

If it could sing it would probably sound like 'halleluja, halleluja'.

It's a beer with a bite! It's superb, it's art!

The Vitus is a legend! It is a heady beer, as it holds not less than

7,7 percent alcohol. Normally the raw taste of alcohol would alert

you about the dangers of drinking it, but it has a surprising mild

character and a very nice soft aftertaste, so be careful!

It is well composed; it has no sharp edges or any other disturbing

accents. It's a beer for which Bachus would let the kork on his wine.

Whenever, it will be my pleasure to invite you.

The Swiss Deli is a wonderful establishment for just calling in and looking in the fridge. Small packs of bacon, sausages and hams are available to the gourmet at reasonable prices.

I was present last year with a small group of ThaiVisa members where an excellent dark beer was sampled and Limbo provided a platter of cheese etc to supplement it.

Other than that it is an excellent place to just sit, even alone, with a drink and watch the world go by.

I've never sampled the produce of their kitchen but the reports are all good.

Maybe we should arrange another semi-impromptu ThaiVisa meeting there.

(It's a about year since the last one, we could call it our AGM. :lol: )

The Swiss Deli is a wonderful establishment for just calling in and looking in the fridge. Small packs of bacon, sausages and hams are available to the gourmet at reasonable prices.

I was present last year with a small group of ThaiVisa members where an excellent dark beer was sampled and Limbo provided a platter of cheese etc to supplement it.

Other than that it is an excellent place to just sit, even alone, with a drink and watch the world go by.

I've never sampled the produce of their kitchen but the reports are all good.

Maybe we should arrange another semi-impromptu ThaiVisa meeting there.

(It's a about year since the last one, we could call it our AGM. :lol: )

Very true Scea. I sat alone there on June 3rd earlier this year and enjoyed my first cider in almost 3yrs to celebrate the birth of my daughter who arrived that day, for this reason it will always be a special place for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday i ordered the steaks and asked for medium rare, i actually lost touch with how a medium rare steak suppose to look like ever since FAMILY messed up my steak orders of medium and medium rare...and my wife and kid knows medium rare means the steak would look cooked on the outside and pinkish and juicy on the inside, WCH done ours cooked on the outside and raw in between, not cook at all...just raw on the inside, my wife and kid were puzzled and questioned me if what we used to get at FAMILY, the juicy and pinkish on the inside type were?

And i said the next time we order steak at WCH, we should try the medium and we will find out if WCH the real deal because Barry is using Thai cooks....But the wife and kid were happy on the portion and thickness of their steaks (no hot iron plate:huh: ) and she said "FAMILY !?!!... no more !!!" :D

Edited by RedBullHorn