Getting Started In The River Naan

damo

Well I think I may be fortunate that my wife comes from Uttaradit, 20 odd km out of town pretty much and on the banks of the river Naan. There is fish in that there river i tell ya, not sure how to go about fishing it though. I ask my wife and she says you can't catch anything with fishing rod only net and spear! BS me thinks, they gotta eat some how. I'm a fishaholic as one of my mates called me the other day, here in Oz. It will be a while before I get back to that river so i'm doin some homework, stocking my arsenal.

The river is fed by the constant flow provided by the Sirikit dam via the Sirikit hydro electric project about 25km's up river so the water is fresh and crystal clear, thats why I know there's fish there plus people net them and they disturb the peace every so often by breaching the surface. I don't know what the fish in there are called exactly, there are some fish that resemble mirror carp and others like barramundi, baa dut pien, baa da gor, baa nai, baa nin(heaps of), baa gut baan. My wife's pronunciation and my english romanisation.

What is likely to be in that river? the river is maybe 60m wide VERY DEEP and is tree lined all the way, at times it flows quickly, sometimes not at all, it's got something to do with the Hydro plant stopping and starting and the river itself which I guess in a unique sort of way creates like a tidal effect of the levels rising and falling.

I'm more of a baitcasting fan, SP's and HB's, poppers d-divers, surface critters. I want to source a good quality telescopic rod, run prolly 2 or 4 kg braid, baitcaster reel.

What are my chances.

Tight lines....

Damo.

Ask her if there are any Bla Sha-Dow's in there & if there is, go after them with everything you have..;)

There should be, they're in that Dam i believe & the bog one's too..

Giant Snakehead - Quite possibly the most violent Freshwater Fish, with the worst attitude, on our Planet..

I showed her a picture of the giant snakehead from the forum today, she said they're caught in the Sirikit dam, she did'nt say anything about getting them in the river. You can hire a house boat type platform for an over night stay, equipped with cooking and bathing facilities aboard, 1500 baht/ night. the locals will get together and go out for a day or two. It's a big dam. at the dam wall looking across the water you can see a big horizon, thats how big it is. God knows what you'd find in there with a decent boat and a echo sounder. I'm keen on the river though. It just looks fishy.