Street Vendors In Bangkok

Jai Dee

VENDORS IN BANGKOK WILL BE ASKED TO PAY TAX

Police General Seriphisut Thameyawas (เสรีพิศุทธ์ เตมียาเวส), the National Police Inspector-General, has revealed that as hawkers and street vendors have been organized, all syndicate-related problems should be settled within the next 3-4 months.

As for another development, General Seriphisut said that all vendors will be charged income tax by the Revenue Department.

However, according to a field survey, the Police Inspector-General believes that the hawkers and street vendors would not resist the new tax measures.

One reason is because the vendors no longer have to pay a footpath cleaning fee to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, according to Police General Seriphisut.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันพุธที่ 14 กันยายน 2548

VENDORS IN BANGKOK WILL BE ASKED TO PAY TAX

Police General Seriphisut Thameyawas (เสรีพิศุทธ์ เตมียาเวส), the National Police Inspector-General, has revealed that as hawkers and street vendors have been organized, all syndicate-related problems should be settled within the next 3-4 months.

As for another development, General Seriphisut said that all vendors will be charged income tax by the Revenue Department.

However, according to a field survey, the Police Inspector-General believes that the hawkers and street vendors would not resist the new tax measures.

One reason is because the vendors no longer have to pay a footpath cleaning fee to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, according to Police General Seriphisut.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันพุธที่ 14 กันยายน 2548

So up until now they have never paid any taxes? right?

unbelievable!

small and familiy businesses in Thailand are exempt of tax (unless you make millions)

a good system actually as it would be too costly to collect for so many small vendors.

this new rule could mean the end of street vendors. This is probably the objective of that new rule. Those street vendors make little or no money on their business. Having police and the government harrass them will kill any initiatives they might have had. Maybe they could become taxi drivers instead. We always need more taxi in Bangkok :o

Edited by Butterfly

this new rule could mean the end of street vendors. This is probably the objective of that new rule. Those street vendors make little or no money on their business. Having police and the government harrass them will kill any initiatives they might have had. Maybe they could become taxi drivers instead. We always need more taxi in Bangkok  :o

I know a few street venders and have one in my family. You would be surprised if you knew how much they earned (>50K). The great thing for them is that they don't pay tax. Not really fair, because an office worker who earns much less has to.

Tax is not really high and if more people paid it, more things can be done for the country (i kow TIT).

"all syndicate-related problems should be settled within the next 3-4 months."

"As for another development, General Seriphisut said that all vendors will be charged income tax by the Revenue Department. "

I love it, the mafia is out of the way so the Revenue Dept. can shake them down now. :o

This will never happen. There all cash businesses. How will the authoriities ever know if there making enough to pay tax. I can just imagine the tax inspector sitting next to the som tam lady all day with his calculator trying to establish how much she makes in a day and sure there all going to vollunterily give money to the tax dept.

Edited by COBBER

"all syndicate-related problems should be settled within the next 3-4 months."

"As for another development, General Seriphisut said that all vendors will be charged income tax by the Revenue Department. "

I love it, the mafia is out of the way so the Revenue Dept. can shake them down now. :o

Government and mafia are essentially the same thing.