Russian President Medvedev urges the U.S. to abandon the Jackson-Vanik amendment

News_Editor

Russian President Medvedev urges the U.S. to abandon the Jackson-Vanik amendment

2011-03-10 09:36:40 GMT+7 (ICT)

MOSCOW (BNO NEWS) -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and U.S. Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday met in Moscow to discuss a number of issues, but Medvedev appeared to be frustrated about Biden's reference to an old U.S. law that was intended to pressure the Soviet Union but remains in effect.

The leaders met to discuss prospects for the development of Russian-US relations, Russia's accession to the World Trade Organization (WTO) and issues relating to the European anti-missile defense system.

Biden, after remarks by Medvedev, began by saying that U.S. President Barack Obama sends his regards to Medvedev. "As you know, [Obama] has sought your counsel and advice and met with you more than any other head of state by probably a factor of three," Biden said.

But he then continued onto a more controversial issue. "It's very good to be back in Russia. I am both a student of and a respecter of the great traditions of a great power. The first Russian leader I met with was Brezhnev. That's how old I am. To further age myself, I knew both Jackson and Vanik. I think that’s why President Obama keeps me around," Biden said, according to a transcript provided by the Kremlin.

Biden was referring to former U.S. Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson and U.S. Congressman Charles Vanik, who in 1974 authored legislation that was intended to pressure the Soviet Union to allow more Jewish emigration by denying a so-called most favored nation trade status to countries that restrict emigration.

The Jackson-Vanik amendment, which was signed into law by former U.S. President Gerald Ford, remains a major irritant and controversial issue in U.S.-Russian relations as the law remains in force, although it has been regularly waived in recent years.

Medvedev immediately jumped in on Biden's reference to the law. "I would just like to express hope that the next time you come to our nation - which I hope will happen soon - at least one of the topics you've mentioned will be left in the past," he said. "I am referring to the Jackson-Vanik amendment, because this is an issue that always comes up during your visits. I hope that this will be the last time. After all, you cannot keep dealing with it throughout your entire career."

Biden replied by saying that the U.S. government "strongly support" the repeal of the law, as did the Clinton and Bush administrations. But it is unclear why U.S. Congress has not done this. Some argue that some legislators in the U.S. Congress see it as an "all-purpose" vehicle for expressing opposition to some Russian policies.

"The Jackson-Vanik Amendment was a landmark accomplishment," said David Harris, the executive director of the American Jewish Committee (AJC) in a July 2010 Op-Ed. "It spoke to the highest values of America's commitment to human rights. It served its noble purpose. As a result, countless people gained their freedom."

He added: "Congress should stop "playing chicken" and do the right thing: recognize reality and graduate Russia from this throwback to the Cold War."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-10