TSUNAMI WARNING ISSUED FOR JAPAN, RUSSIA AND OTHER REGIONS

webfact

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my Gawd!!!!! Incredible tragic and unbelievable live pictures!! And more to come from other countries too I'm afraid :( .... I wish the best for those helpless people!!!! I'm in shock!!

Edited by WarpSpeed

Urgent tsunami warning issued for citizens in coastal areas - Russia - Taiwan - Guam - Marianas and other affected areas. Move to higher ground and away from coastal areas immediately.

Many residents - in land farming areas - Japan - probably completely unaware of what's happening.

Urgent tsunami warning issued for citizens in coastal areas - Russia - Taiwan - Guam - Marianas and other affected areas. Move to higher ground and away from coastal areas immediately.

Many residents - in land farming areas - Japan - probably completely unaware of what's happening.

Yes.. The momentum and distance in land this thing traveled is previously unimaginable to me and I'm sure most others too....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Live from Tokyo -

It was huge here and Sendai is about 350kms from Tokyo. The sirens went off in this area, which I have never heard before. The local Jr High School evacuated the kids from the buildings and place them on to the sports field.

My apartment was really rocking, the cars in the parking lot were shaking like crazy.

Another aftershock is occurring at the moment...

TheWalkingMan

Tsunami warnings, watches issued around Pacific

Tokyo - tsunami waves hit the coast of north-east Japan Friday after a magnitude-8.9 earthquake, and tsunami warnings and watches were issued for countries around the Pacific.

The Pacific tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii issued a tsunami warning for Japan and Russia and tsunami watches for Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia, Hawaii, Guam and other Pacific islands.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicentre within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours," the centre said.

It warned that a tsunami could be a series of waves, the time between different waves could be five minutes to an hour and the first wave might not be the largest.

Television images showed waves striking the Japanese coast. The centre forecast arrival times for Russia's Urup Island at 0714 GMT, initial times for Taiwan at 0932 GMT, the Philippines at 0955 GMT and Indonesia at 1049 GMT

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-11

UPDATE:

UPDATE 5 -- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, mass casualties reported

2011-03-11 14:21:02 GMT+7 (ICT)

TOKYO (BNO NEWS) -- A series of enormous earthquakes struck off the Pacific coast of northeastern Japan on early Friday afternoon, seismologists said, generating huge tsunamis that devastated coastlines and prompting tsunami warnings for multiple countries.

The initial 8.9-magnitude earthquake at 2.46 p.m. local time (0546 GMT) was centered about 130 kilometers (80 miles) east of Sendai in Japan, on the nation's main island of Honshu. It struck about 24.4 kilometers (15.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

The USGS estimated that approximately 2.5 million people would have felt severe shaking, which could result in heavy damage. Another 11 million could have felt strong to very strong shaking.

Numerous large aftershocks struck soon after, the largest being a 7.1 on the Richter scale. In all, the aftershocks measured 6.4, 6.4, 6.8, 7.1, 6.3 and 6.3. One of the aftershocks, which had a 6.8 magnitude, struck only 67 kilometers (42 miles) northeast of the capital of Tokyo.

The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) immediately issued a tsunami warning, and large tsunamis could be seen hitting northeastern coastlines, submerging roads, scores of cars and buildings. In Tokyo, where people fled from buildings, fires were seen burning and clouds of black smoke were rising above the city's skyline.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also issued a tsunami warning for Russia, the Marcus Islands, Northern Marianas, Guam, Wake islands and Taiwan. A tsunami awtch is in effect for Yap, Philippines, Marshall Islands, Belau, Midway Islands, Pohnpei, Chuuk, Kosrae, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Nauru, Johnston Islands, Solomon Islands, Kiribati, and Hawaii.

"Sea level readings indicate a tsunami was generated. It may have been destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicenter and could also be a threat to more distant coasts," the center said in a bulletin.

The New Zealand Civil Defense also issued a 'potential threat advisory'.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-11

Taiwan issues tsunami alert after Japan quake for north, east coasts - weather bureau /RT @REUTERSFLASH:

TSUNAMI WARNING FOR HAWAII

TSUANMI WARNING FOR MEXICO AND NEW ZEALAND

TSUNAMI AWRNING FOR EL SALVADOR, COSTA RICA, NICARAGUA, HONDURAS, CHILE, EVUADOR, COLOMBIA

/RT @mpoppel:

maybe this has something to do with it

On March 19, the moon will be 356,577 kilometres from Earth, the closest it has been since 1992.

The lunar perigee, or supermoon - a term that Mr Nolle said he coined in 1979 - takes place because the moon does not orbit the Earth in a perfect circle, but in a slightly elliptical manner.

"Supermoons, in fact, have a historical association with strong storms, very high tides, extreme tides and also earthquakes," Mr Nolle .

"Supermoons are like eclipses. We have roughly five to six per year ... and so it can be very close to Earth but we don't have to have one at the maximum close approach to have a notable effect."

Mr Nolle said the most recent supermoon on February 18 had an impact on Earth from February 12 to 21. He drew a link between the lunar phenomenon and the Christchurch earthquake, which hit New Zealand on February 22.

Food is apparently going to be scarce there...He may have picked up on this Ken...Just reassure him with a carrot and an extra pat!!

Thats a big freaking Quake. I noticed my rabbit, Mr. Hoppy McSpudbuck, was acting strange during the time of the shaking and he's in Bangkok unsure.gif.