TSUNAMI WARNING ISSUED FOR JAPAN, RUSSIA AND OTHER REGIONS

webfact

This is one of the largest earthquakes in recorded history /RT @mpoppel:

"@BloombergUTV: Japan Earthquake: Yen falls sharply after quake"

The Yen may have dropped swiftly, but it was a small move. So far it looks like nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction. So far well within a normal days range.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from my Japanese friend at Sendia, there was a mild quake yesterday but no much problem. by now, cannot reach him yet.

I hope your friend is ok, but I fear for their safety having seen what I've seen on TV.. I'm beside myself in disbelief and grief, no disaster movie can ever portray the magnitude of the real thing :unsure::( ...

Nuclear power stations in Japan shut down after quake

Tokyo - Nuclear power stations on the Pacific coast in Japan's Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures on Friday shut down operations automatically after a magnitude-8.9 earthquake hit off the country's north-east coast, the Kyodo News agency reported

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-11

you guys don't panic.... Find out more information from the locals, Japanese then.

Have you seen any of the live TV reports? I can remember feeling this kind of shock when I woke up to see a plane flying into the second World Trade Tower on 9/11... But this will dwarf that and will be comparable to 2004 at least in property damage but it's certain it will also have a large death toll to boot..

you guys don't panic.... Find out more information from the locals, Japanese then.

Have you seen any of the live TV reports? I can remember feeling this kind of shock when I woke up to see a plane flying into the second World Trade Tower on 9/11... But this will dwarf that and will be comparable to 2004 at least in property damage but it's certain it will also have a large death toll to boot..

Just watched BBC online... it looks horrible enough.. but I foned my GF, she said that everyone in the family are ok. Tokyo is ok too,. The northern part of Japan was seriously hit.... that's all she said.

Is the Thai Gulf safe? On the map it looks like it could be hit almost directly. I'm not saying it could still cause damage but it's relatively close compared to many other countries that are already on the warning list.

no way............Thai Gulf won't get this Tsunami ..

Is the Thai Gulf safe? On the map it looks like it could be hit almost directly. I'm not saying it could still cause damage but it's relatively close compared to many other countries that are already on the warning list.

The Boxing Day earthquake - 2004 - was recorded at 9.1 just 0.2 more than this one. I think this can no longer be considered a disaster confined to Japan only. On-going story today regarding the Pacific rim ramifications of its reach.

UPDATE: 8 persons confirmed dead so far.

Edited by bulmercke

UPDATE:

Tsunami warning issued for Hawaii, tsunami watch issued for Oregon and Washington

2011-03-11 15:13:30 GMT+7 (ICT)

HONOLULU (BNO NEWS) -- A tsunami warning was issued for the U.S. state of Hawaii on late Thursday evening, officials said, while tsunami watches were issued for parts of the Oregon and Washington state coastlines.

The warning and watches were issued after a massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of northeastern Japan, creating huge tsunamis that have devastated parts of Japan. It was followed by a series of major aftershocks, including one of 7.1 on the Richter scale.

"A tsunami has been generated that could cause damage along coastlines of all islands in the state of Hawaii, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said in a bulletin. "Urgent action should be taken to protect lives and property."

Emergency sirens were being sounded across Hawaii, and officials are expected to order evacuations of coastlines in case a large tsunami reaches the islands.

For the mainland of the United States, the National Weather Service issued a tsunami watch for the south Washington and north and central Oregon coasts. "Arrival of an initial wave is estimated to arrive around 724 am Friday for the Washington and Oregon coasts. Stand by for updates," a bulletin said. Other areas of mainland U.S. are currently not under a tsunami watch or warning.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-11