TSUNAMI WARNING ISSUED FOR JAPAN, RUSSIA AND OTHER REGIONS

webfact

Phuket travelers heading for Japan advised to continue to Bangkok

PHUKET: -- Following the devastating series of earthquakes and the tsunami that struck Japan’s main island of Honshu earlier today, travelers heading from Phuket to Japan are advised to at least continue their journey to Bangkok, an officer at Phuket International Airport told the Phuket Gazette this afternoon.

“All flights [from Phuket] to Bangkok are continuing as scheduled. There are no direct flights between Phuket and Japan,” the officer said.

“We are waiting further instructions from Narita [international Airport in Japan] on what to advise travelers heading to Japan,” she added.

Ryuji Iwasaki, public information officer at the Embassy of Japan in Bangkok, told the Gazette, “Narita International Airport is closed, but as far as I know Haneda Airport in downtown Tokyo is still open.

“We are monitoring the situation. So far we have had no requests from Japanese citizens,” he added.

The website of the US Air Force base at Yokota, Japan says that it has been receiving commercial flights diverted there from Narita.

“The 374th Airlift Wing is prepared and ready to assist during this time of crisis,” said Col Otto Feather, 374th Airlift Wing commander.

Reports of chaotic scenes are emerging from Tokyo as aftershocks continue to jolt the area.

“Every time an aftershock hits, the building sways – it’s making me feel sick,” Reiko Fukushima, who works on the 13th floor of a Tokyo office building, told the Gazette.

“I’m thinking about walking home – it will take about three to four hours – but it’s cold outside. From my office I can see many fires around the city.

“A lot of people are walking along the JR [elevated Japan Rail lines] tracks, maybe I’ll do that,” she added.

According to posters on The Wall Street Journal’s “Japan Realtime” blog, traffic has ground to a halt and all train services are suspended in the Tokyo area and northern Honshu.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-03-11

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reuters: FLASH: 44 confirmed dead, many missing after Japan quake: report

Reuters: FLASH: Hawaii orders evacuations in tsunami threat

CNN: 50 countries currently under Tsunami warning/watch

A 4.5-magnitude earthquake has struck Hawaii as residents brace for a tsunami after a massive earthquake in Japan. : AP

CNN: All airports in Hawaii reported closed in aftermath of major quake, tsunami. http://on.cnn.com/hQmkLS

BNO News: NEW QUAKE - 6.4, says JMA

Canada sets up 1-800-387-3124 hotline for Cdns needing info on family & friends in Japan. #cndpoli #quake #地震

More on state of emergency at Japan nuclear power plant: http://on.msnbc.com/fdIciP

Taiwan and New Zealand have called off tsunami alerts -via @news1005fm. (After light waves have hit Taiwan)

People are tweeting from Tokyo Disneyland saying DisneySea is flooding and the parking lots is over flowing with water. #prayforjapan /via @burninlover

I'd say: If you know someone who lives on B.C.'s coast, phone 'em and wake 'em up with this tsunami advisory: http://1.usa.gov/b0bOUt

Fires reported at more than 80 locations after Japan quake - Kyodo

Kyodo: Japan quake kills over 50 as of 8.53pm (local time). via @b_surisa

Reported death toll rises to 61, NHK reports.

NHK as of 7 pm BKK time broadcasting live images of oil refinery fire in Ichihara area, saying the blaze is out of control and so hot that firefighters are unable to get near it for the time being.

post-53787-0-15633900-1299845023_thumb.j

Also reporting that the tsunami reached as far as 10 kilometers inland in Sendai City area... Flooded Sendai Airport is about 1 kilometer from the coast.

Web site for Sendai Airport:

http://www.sdj-airpo...lish/index.html

Google Map for Sendai Airport

post-53787-0-49604500-1299845712_thumb.j

Edited by jfchandler

A few days ago i read an article about supermoon, we are do one on the 19th of March, the Asian Tsunami accord one week before, and many other major catastrophes have happened around a supermoon.

This was posted online yesterday

http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/super-moon-march-19-2011-cycle-connected-disasters-2765729.html

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=664780&publicationSubCategoryId=68 really? dismissed yesterday

NHK update on power outages:

According to electric power companies, 4.4 million households in northeastern Japan are without power. Nearly 4-million more households are also under a blackout in the Tokyo Metropolitan area.

The Meteorological Agency is warning of more possible tsunami and aftershocks. It says people in areas where major tsunami warnings are in effect should evacuate to safer ground. March 11, 2011 20:37 +0900 (JST)

BREAKING -- KYODO: 2,000 residents near Fukushima nuclear power plant urged to evacuate: /RT @mpoppel:

Not a good sign this - perhaps with all the afteshocks going on in the area / country they should shut down all other Nuclear Power plants safely as a precaution?

James, I caught a report that something like a half dozen different nuclear plants in the northern area of Japan were automatically shut down at the time of the original quake... It's been the problems with failing cooling systems on a couple of those that are causing the problem... the cooling systems need power in order to prevent overheating even after the plants are shut down.

BREAKING -- KYODO: 2,000 residents near Fukushima nuclear power plant urged to evacuate: /RT @mpoppel:

Not a good sign this - perhaps with all the afteshocks going on in the area / country they should shut down all other Nuclear Power plants safely as a precaution?

James, I caught a report that something like a half dozen different nuclear plants in the northern area of Japan were automatically shut down at the time of the original quake... It's been the problems with failing cooling systems on a couple of those that are causing the problem... the cooling systems need power in order to prevent overheating even after the plants are shut down.

no cooling system + nuclear powerplant = 3 mile island or worse: hopefully not but the above evacuation order none to subtle as to how under control they have the genie.

not a good sign :

( translated )

there is not enough electric power to cool down the reactor Unit 2 Fukushima nuclear power plant and the colling water level decreased, and may lead to a possible radiation leak.

Fukushima Prefecture Disaster Prevention and Countermeasures Headquarters at 8:45 pm, issued a request to evaluate the target area in the district with in a radius of 2km, total of 1864 people.

source : www.asahi.com