TSUNAMI WARNING ISSUED FOR JAPAN, RUSSIA AND OTHER REGIONS

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend works as a flight attendant with JAL. She is still in the air after departing from Honolulu and was scheduled to land at Tokyo Narita but flights have since been diverted to Sapporo, Nagoya and Osaka. Quite fortunate she hadn't already landed before the quakes, and I can only feel for those caught up in the catastrophe. The JAL flight info tubes have been clogged up due to people searching diverted flights, and I can only imagine the same rush for information with other airlines.

Is the Thai Gulf safe? On the map it looks like it could be hit almost directly. I'm not saying it could still cause damage but it's relatively close compared to many other countries that are already on the warning list.

no way............Thai Gulf won't get this Tsunami ..

And the basis for this statement...?

Sulawesi is on the warning list, 4000 km from the location, expecting 60 cm to 1 meter of water. The southern part of the Gulf is 4500 km from the epicenter. I don't really want to rely on the local Thai authorities when it comes to events like this. I calculated that the first wave might arrive between 10 and 11 tonight.

Trust me .......... there won't be a affect. The wave won't come around Thai Gulf... it's safe enough to take a good swim though.

The only upside is The Japanese have excellent emergency services but I fear for less developed pacific rim countries that could be affected yet by this. My thoughts are with them all.

Yes but................................ This is overwhelming for any country, and it only took minutes :o , look at Katrina and it took hours with plenty of notice :( !! My heart goes out, I'm having trouble doing anything but watching and thinking how lucky not to be there and the helpless terror involved... I'm going to go hug my boys :( ...