UPDATE1 -- Japanese gov't says blast rocks nuclear power plant, causes radiation leak

News_Editor

UPDATE1 -- Japanese gov't says blast rocks nuclear power plant, causes radiation leak

2011-03-12 16:39:47 GMT+7 (ICT)

TOKYO (BNO NEWS) -- An explosion rocked the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant in northeastern Japan on Saturday, local media reported, but few details were immediately available.

NHK Television and the Kyodo news agency reported that an explosion had happened at the plant, which has been under a state of emergency after a massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake on Friday. NHK said a part of the plant had collapsed and that only the shell of the plant remains.

Few details about the radiation near the plant were immediately available, but NHK reported that radiation at the plant had risen to an hourly amount that would equal a full year of normal radiation. The broadcaster added that four people were injured in the explosion.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-12

A good site for wind/weather etc www.yr.no , english in the upper right corner and seartsh for location.

These are probably winds near the ground but can the radiation cloud get up to the jet winds? I belive they go to North America.

Tiger

Edit: They are called jetstreams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream check out map of Japan-Us air route!!

Edited by EnSvenskTiger

A good site for wind/weather etc www.yr.no , english in the upper right corner and seartsh for location.

These are probably winds near the ground but can the radiation cloud get up to the jet winds? I belive they go to North America.

Tiger

As far as I know - YES! it uses ...atmospheric winds

Solar power has the potential to be the greenest solution for power production. It has yet to be proven.

Currently 14% of world electricity generating capacity is nuclear powered. Solar Power has such a tiny fraction it doesn’t show. My post in the previous thread was intended to highlight that to lose that 14% due to unfounded fear would be a disaster.

Solar power has the potential to be the greenest solution for power production. It has yet to be proven.

Currently 14% of world electricity generating capacity is nuclear powered. Solar Power has such a tiny fraction it doesn’t show. My post in the previous thread was intended to highlight that to lose that 14% due to unfounded fear would be a disaster.

Surely the fear is a little bit founded

'The explosion at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant was not caused by the nuclear reactor but by "water vapor that was part of the cooling process," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Saturday. He said no harmful gases had been emitted by the explosion.'

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/12/japan-earthquake-live-blog-death-toll-rises-amid-widespread-destruction/

'The explosion at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant was not caused by the nuclear reactor but by "water vapor that was part of the cooling process," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Saturday. He said no harmful gases had been emitted by the explosion.'

http://news.blogs.cn...ad-destruction/

that's what I wished for, but unfortunately authorities have confirmed a meltdown according to German TV station ARD.

Currently 14% of world electricity generating capacity is nuclear powered. Solar Power has such a tiny fraction it doesn't show. My post in the previous thread was intended to highlight that to lose that 14% due to unfounded fear would be a disaster.

Well there will be a large jump in Solar power investment in the next 6 months.... A good thing coming from a very bad event.

And if this can put the brakes permanently on the Thai Nuke Option,

and switches it to massive solar manufactured in Thailand, it couldn't be better.

Edited by animatic

http://news.blogs.cn...ad-destruction/

that's what I wished for, but unfortunately authorities have confirmed a meltdown according to German TV station ARD.

So far the officials in japan still denying a meltdon.

Currently 14% of world electricity generating capacity is nuclear powered. Solar Power has such a tiny fraction it doesn't show. My post in the previous thread was intended to highlight that to lose that 14% due to unfounded fear would be a disaster.

Well there will be a large jump in Solar power investment in the next 6 months.... A good thing coming from a very bad event.

And if this can put the brakes permanently on the Thai Nuke Option,

and switches it to massive solar manufactured in Thailand, it couldn't be better.

The environmental impact and damage resulting from a factory for solar power panels burning after an earthquake would be far bigger and worse. Actually just operating normal alone would do that.

It was tempting to buy and install a complete solar package for the house - It would have run AC which I don't now and would have cost 450,000Baht just a few years ago. Seems the return was out of line the way we live.

Things like this and other current events are telling me the ratios are a changing fast.:jap:

Japan fears nuclear plant meltdown - Aljazeera - 12.03.11

Blast reported at nuclear plant amid worries that quake-hit reactor can no longer cool radioactive substances.

Radiation has leaked from a Japanese nuclear reactor and authorities say there is a possibility of a meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi plant about 250km north of Tokyo.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2011/03/20113124353222667.html

There was been some updates on Endeavors site from AlJazeera English, AP, and NTDTV like about every 5 mins. My of the towns north of where I named lived at in Northern California, called Creasent City near the Oregon boarder. Seems they got hit by a massive Tsunami that wiped out a fishing port "again".

In Japan, people who live about 250 km from the Nuclear plant have been told to evacuate the area, because Japan fears the reactor will melt down.