BANGKOK 21 April 2019 11:54
Sign in to follow this  
swissie

Isaan Land Prices

A friend of mine was traveling around the Isaan in recent weeks and now returned to old Europe and conveyed to me the following message: "No matter where you go, the price of land for a single RAI of land with proper "Chanote" is 80'000 Bht and no less" ! Even Rice-Patties that need a good "Landfill".

I realize that land-prices can not be the same as they were 10 years ago, but I am having a hard time to believe this. (Especially the "Rice-Patty" part.) I realize that the value of land depends on a lot of different factors, but the blunt statement, that "nothing goes under 80'000 Bht", I would like to put in question.

So, therefore and as far as this is concerned, I would rather hear something "from the horses mouth". Ergo = From Farangs that actually live in the Isaan and know the circumstances in their particular aerea.

Thanks & cheers.

I bought 2 rai last year for 120,000 Baht (60,000 baht per rai), by the road with electric and water nearby.

Paddy land goes a lot cheaper.

it sure depends on where, how far from utilities etc

it can cost more than the land to get electric to it

is internet important to you?

that's another consideration

how good was your friends Thai?

who is going to buy the land?

and what protection will you have?

Here in the boondocks of Ubon land prices have gone mental over the last 18 months. All because of Rubber and Cassava prices at an all time high. My brother in law just turned a 22,000 baht profit per rai with Cassava last week.

Land sales have dried up (no one wants to sell) old bush land is being cleared as fast as possible and they few bits of land that are for sale the prices are between 50 - 100,000 baht per rai, not close to anything.

As its been mentioned already, prices will vary - depending on each situation. We've some 55+ rai of prime farming land in the Surin countryside and we've heard that it can range from B60,000 to 300,000 per rai. One of our rural neighbors had an offer of B500,000 for 2 rai of quite decent patty land - though not limited to rice. There is almost a regional boom as such applies to land prices in the last ten years. Frankly, farming land is much more dear and clearly a higher value than what you might find in the regional cities - commercial property, etc.

As said, it depends on where you go and what kind of land. The wife just bought land for rubber trees at 28k baht a rai, nor sor sam title, near Phon Charoen. Dirt road access, no electricity or water.

The wife has been complaining about how hight the price of land has gotten recently. She is looking for small plot to extend her farm. Farm land is starting at 100,000 per rai. And anything in town is around 500,000 per rai. Do not know if this trend is here to stay. There is a plot of land across from her grandfather that was purchased by a school teacher several years ago. 10 rai/500,000. Now it is for sale again and they want 1.5 mil for it. A number of people have looked at and said no way that it is too much and too far out in the sticks but they are holding firm on the price. Guess they do not want to sell it quickly.

While that great hungry monster to the north keeps buying everything from rice to rubber the prices will keep rising. Think sometimes people forget that we live in a global economy, so why should land prices be different any where in the world, if they produce and have infrastructure to transport etc whats the difference between Thailand USA EU OZ UK. It all comes down to the dollars that can be made. Jim

my wife says"30,000Bt per rai for a basic rice paddy" ,,, l think that might be what she would like to pay not what she would have to pay ,,, l think 40/50,000 might be close

"No matter where you go, the price of land for a single RAI of land with proper "Chanote" is 80'000 Bht and no less" ! Even Rice-Patties that need a good "Landfill".

This is probably a pretty accurate quote given the "proper chanote", especially if word gets out that the buyer is not a local. Much of what is being discussed here is land with Tor Bor 5 or Sor Por Kor documents. IMO, a "proper chanote" would be Nor Sor 3 or Nor Sor 3 Gor.

Nor sor sam title land, 1/2 k from nice market town of Namsom, 185.000 bht per rai, water, electric,phone line, and locals are buying, there is no restrictions on what you do on this type of titled land, you want to build a Days Inn, no problem, but you might have problems with lesser titles, doing a google search on Thai Land Titles will help guide you, just dont build too much on lesser land titled ground, you might make a thai jealous,,

"No matter where you go, the price of land for a single RAI of land with proper "Chanote" is 80'000 Bht and no less" ! Even Rice-Patties that need a good "Landfill".

This is probably a pretty accurate quote given the "proper chanote", especially if word gets out that the buyer is not a local. Much of what is being discussed here is land with Tor Bor 5 or Sor Por Kor documents. IMO, a "proper chanote" would be Nor Sor 3 or Nor Sor 3 Gor.

I'll second the accuracy of the quote from the OP's friend given the proper chanote title. I live in the Issan countryside and have filled in gifted paddy land for our house a few years back so not sure what the price was then. Two plots down a Thai family has seperated and also had gambling debts so they were after money in a hurry. The paddy land has irrigation from a canal and can grow two crops per year, has a busy dirt road at the front of the property with electrical lines (with a very poor supply). It is situated in the countryside between two villages and over 10km to the closest city. The first day it opened for offers they had a local village man offer 50,000 baht per rai (10 rai). They had a verbal agreement to buy but later that same day as word spread another local Thai family upped the offer to 70,000 per rai and rushed the seller off to the land office. It amazes me the money some of the villagers actually have under their mattress. Anyway, if the seller was in no rush to sell they could have easily gotten 100,000 up for the land.

*electrical service is of really no concern to these buyers as they fully intend to keep it as it is, paddy land*

**there was no story constructed for me the farang as it is known I have no intention to buy any land**

EDIT - but deals like this do pop up so it's best to be in the area you like sitting on some cash when it happens

Edited by doglover

EDIT - but deals like this do pop up so it's best to be in the area you like sitting on some cash when it happens

Quite true. We got our first plot of land for 15k baht a rai as the owner needed money quickly to pay off the heavies that came to collect her gambling debts. Keep your ears open and ready access to some cash if you are looking for land.

What ever the price it isn't going to get any cheaper. We(wife & I) bought 5 rai in the village of Non Song about 5 years ago for 120,000/rai. The land next to ours just sold for 300,000/rai. We built a house in JoHo (suburb of Korat) 3 years ago and paid 8000 baht/wah in a gated development. It is now going for 10,000/wah. So if you have the chance buy NOW.

Thanks for all the input folks ! Like in so many situations in life, being at the right place at the right time is half of the ballgame.

Cheers.